Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
IanWood

Loc: US
Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer
      #1070343 - 14/10/13 07:55 PM
I'm having a conceptual block: I've found the information I need, but but my basic understanding of how to use sends and busses must be flawed, because I can't get the result I want.

First: here's what I've already found and read: and "How do I use an external effects processor with CueMix?" and "Using Digital Performer With External Hardware". (Plus the DP manual.)

I'm using DP 4.61 with a MOTU 828 MKII and two SM81s, recording 12-string acoustic guitar. I have external effects with stereo ins and outs. What I'd like to do is record a dry track and a wet track that I can then mix together.

I've got the 828's analogue out 1 & 2 going to the L/R in of the external effect. I've got the L/R out of the external effect going to the 828's analogue in 3 & 4. In DP, I have a stereo Mic 1/Mic 2 recording track, with a send to analogue out 1 & 2. I have a second stereo track recording analogue in 3 & 4.

I was expecting that setup to record the dry signal on the Mic 1/Mic 2 track, and the wet on the 3 & 4 track. I got wet on both tracks. (They don't sound identical, the 3 & 4 track sounds quieter and not as clear.)

I made an attempt to do something with a bus, but this is where my lack of understanding stopped me...I ended up with weird feedback or a poor-sounding track.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost certain that I'm missing some fundamental concept, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Thanks,

IW

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
Re: Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer new [Re: IanWood]
      #1070443 - 15/10/13 02:40 PM
Cue Mix includes a reverb that you can route to your ins and outs for use as a comfort reverb for singers when vocal tracking, eg...have you checked to see that you have not accidentally sent this somewhere you don't want it ?

IanWood

Loc: US
Re: Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer new [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #1070624 - 16/10/13 11:12 PM
Huh...guess my reply got eaten when the site went down.

Anyway: nope, the effect on the tracks is the one from my external box. So it's there, it's just not where I want it to be...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 925

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media