Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kayvon

Loc: Shrewsbury
Budget VST Sampler for Cubase
      #1072347 - 29/10/13 03:23 PM
Hi all, I need a fairly basic sampler to load single sound fx and also to make basic multi patches (no velocity switching/round robin/scripting etc needed)

I been looking for a while and seen a number of things out there but I wanted to get some user feedback. I recently downloaded TX16Wx and found (like quite a few others) that it doesn't get recognised on my system. I'm running OSX 10.7.5 Lion and Cubase 7.0.4 on a Macbook.

I was gonna go straight ahead and buy DiscoDSP Highlife but I'm sure they've recently raised the price from €17 to €40. Still a nice price but considering it's free on PC a bit confusing.

So please let me know if you're getting good results with a cheap VST sampler. I'm using Cubase 7 and would want to load wavs/aifs. I'm currently getting by with FXPansion Geist but it's not ideal for pitched instruments. Great, actually awesome program for drum sequencing though.

Cheers

ps I used to have Yellow Tools Independence installed but I never found it to be very stable and it took a while to load. I never used it to load samples either, maybe it's improved in the last 2 years or so?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Kayvon

Re: Budget VST Sampler for Cubase new [Re: Kayvon]
      #1072408 - 30/10/13 02:33 AM
I've been demo-ing Highlife tonight and it suits my needs pretty well.

It has a nice complexity level with enough basic features.

Not all great though, the LP filter is a little smooth/clean and I have a feeling the attack phase of the envelopes are exponential which isn't great for slow pads. No undo and could do with being able to get resized bigger as well.

Then if the sample editor was a little slicker I'd be well happy. However no product is perfect.

Gonna hold out for a while and try and check out some others though.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1072409 - 30/10/13 06:57 AM
If you can find something that fits your particular needs then good for you, but for the sake of ease and for the quality of the supplied library I'd bite the bullet and buy NI's Kontakt.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Kayvon

Re: Budget VST Sampler for Cubase new [Re: The Elf]
      #1072426 - 30/10/13 11:07 AM
Hi Elf, yeah I kinda regret not getting Kontakt when they did a really good sale about a year and a half ago but since I'm not interested in third-party libraries or supplied sounds it seems like forking out a lot extra for something I'm not gonna use.

Dare I say it Kontakt looks a little bloated. Halion 5 too although I'm slightly more interested in the integration that would have with Cubase 7.

With regards to TX16Wx not loading on my system, the VST is only 64 bit so that rules that one out for me until I upgrade/replace some 32 bit plug-ins.

Cheers.

johnny h

#1072431 - 30/10/13 11:27 AM
Quote Kayvon:

Dare I say it Kontakt looks a little bloated.

You would think that from all the support it has for massive libraries. Its actually not though. For old fashioned synthesis of tiny looped samples it is really the best thing around. I'm not much of a fan of Native Instruments but Kontakt is really a superb sampler.

Kayvon

Re: Budget VST Sampler for Cubase new [Re: johnny h]
      #1072446 - 30/10/13 02:03 PM
Cheers for the reply.

Do you use crossfade looping in Kontakt at all? That's another thing that I don't see on Highlife.

There's a decently priced crossfade sampler by Expert Sleepers but I don't think it supports multis.

Good to hear that you get on with Kontakt for old fashioned looping stuff. My old flatmate had it and every time he opened it up I was kinda overwhelmed by these MEGAVSTLibrary skins and what not.

Even the TX16Wx GUI looks a little much for me. On the surface of things, not using a vst because you don't like the GUI seems petty but that's part of the reason I never got on with the synths in Logic. Garish as you like. I want to make a sound not pretend I'm piloting a space ship.

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1072467 - 30/10/13 04:54 PM
Hollowsun has this script plugin for kontakt called the shell, which might be useful for the op Here

Although it doesn't do the sample mapping, it might help with the sample manipulator

Having just gotten hold of kontakt, and not wanting just to use it for its sample libraries, I am going to give it a whirl......and it makes me have to delve into the editor.....although here I also agree with the op.....I'm a musician, not a computer programmer...and like simple!!

Wease

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Kayvon

Re: Budget VST Sampler for Cubase new [Re: Wease]
      #1072472 - 30/10/13 05:24 PM
Thanks for that. It's a good idea. However, including the £8 that the skin costs it's around £308 more than I'd like to spend!

Up to £50 seems reasonable looking at what's out there.

tim_obrien

#1072474 - 30/10/13 05:35 PM
Quote Kayvon:

I recently downloaded TX16Wx and found (like quite a few others) that it doesn't get recognised on my system. I'm running OSX 10.7.5 Lion and Cubase 7.0.4 on a Macbook.

Are you SURE you installed it properly?

I am running TX16Wx on an iMac with OSX 10.7.5 and it works just fine (I'll admit I'm using Reaper but that shouldn't matter).

It should be in:
HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST

Kayvon

Re: Budget VST Sampler for Cubase new [Re: tim_obrien]
      #1072475 - 30/10/13 05:42 PM
Hi Tim, the developer pointed out to me that the VST is 64 bit only and I'm running Cubase in 32 bit so I'm guessing that would be the reason.

In any case, how are you getting on with TX16Wx?

Wease

#1072482 - 30/10/13 06:45 PM
Hi kayvon....sorry, I thought you already had kontakt.....I must read more clearly!!

I use camel audio's alchemy for single or up to 4 sample manipulation in a synth form...it is excellent, but around £179, so a bit of a no go budget wise.....I will always exclaim it's virtues tho....tis an excellent piece of software.

What spec MacBook are you running....and what age........and why are you running Cubase in 32bit mode?? Is it due to 3rd party plugins?

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Edited by Wease (30/10/13 06:53 PM)

Kayvon

#1072522 - 30/10/13 09:09 PM
Hey Wease, no worries. Like I say, I would've got it when it was a lot cheaper than the 300 odd quid it seems to be now (I get confused with all the diff kontakt kompakt komplete packages).

Alchemy looks quite interesting but yes £179 is more than I'd like to spend on a vst at the moment.

I'm running a 2008 Core 2 Duo Alu unibody Macbook 2Ghz currently with 4GB of Ram. After doing a bunch of research I decided to try uneven sized sticks of ram for 6GB in 64 bit mode but I found performance worse and even Halion Sonic SE crapped out on a sound that I had loaded from an older 32 bit project. I may try to move to 64 bit again if I get another 4GB memory stick for 2x 4GB matched though.

Yes, also moving to 64 bit would mean I have to let go of mda DX10 which I was so happy to find and wanted to fill the gap of my old Yamaha DX200. Also I recently downloaded PSP Nitro which is only 32 bit. Since I paid 99p for that and DX10 was free I'm not too fussed about leaving them behind if I can find alternatives. I'm just waiting for the price of 4GB sticks of ram to drop a bit more and then I may try again.

Wease

#1072535 - 30/10/13 10:21 PM
Ahh. You have a point

I'm running the same age unibody MacBook Pro with4gb...but can't remember if core duo or core 2....
I'm running mountain lion (which I thought might be difficult) with logic x...which is working ok...on my spec machine which is I think 2008...
I'd like more ram than the 4gb I have, but don't think my machine can take it....and think I'll have to upgrade mac in the next couple of years, but everything is working well for me at the mo, touch wood...and I can run the older Logic Pro in 32 bit if I want too....such is the benefit of logic, being an apple product.....

So, your machine may cope with the upgrade/run Cubase at 64 bit as is, depending on your os (what number is that exactly btw??) I think!

Now I'm wondering if there is a 32bit bridge you could use for the old plugins in a 64bit Cubase??......is there a thread on this??....or an expert?? and is there an acceptable amount of loss for the sampler gain in running at 64 bit??

Edited by Wease (30/10/13 10:31 PM)

Kayvon

#1072918 - 02/11/13 07:17 PM
I think I've read that your MBP (if it's the same age as mine) can take over 4GB. Was one of those things where only 4 was officially supported but people were able to use 6 and then 8 after another OS upgrade.

Same with me, everythings running pretty smooth so I don't really want to change to try for small benefits but I may end up doing so. I've been so impressed with this laptop that I may try and really squeeze the last of it by going to 8GB RAM and adding an SSD. Just whether I drop the DVD drive so I can have 2 drives with one of those OWC kits and then make use of the fusion thing.

I'm not really taxing my CPU that much with the plugins I use (only big one is Valhalla Ubermod and then sometimes Reverence) but I do get some spikes every now and then. Curious to see how the system would perform with 8GB, an SSD and 64 bit but still running Lion.

Regarding bridging between 32 & 64 bit plugins, I don't think I'd bother tbh. I really should just try and replace those plugins. Mda DX10 is great for simple FM though.

Kayvon

#1072949 - 03/11/13 03:00 AM
I've just been using Cubase in 64 bit and TX16Wx loads up fine. Has a lot more features than Highlife and better sounding filters to boot. Envelope shapes leave a little to be desired but seems like quite a powerful soft sampler for the price. In the brief experiment I did with pitching a complex sounding sample up and down a couple octaves they both sounded pretty much the same.

Gonna spend some more time with it tmw.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2507

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media