Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sp

mac mini i7 yamaha 01v96i, motu fastline usb midi
      #1082118 - 06/01/14 04:48 PM
Hi
hope someone can help.
I have recently upgraded to a mac mini from a pc .The issue is, i have been trying to use the yamaha 01v96i as a midi interface to send/receive midi data from the piano to the daw( all drivers are the latest and set up ).I spoke to Yamaha they said they were not sure if the midi functions were capable of this,so i then bought a motu midi interface .I now have a problem that when playing in cubase or digital performer after playing the piano for ten seconds or more notes start to drop out while playing ,and then multiple notes play off one key.
So the question is am i setting it up incorrectly or is the opp system ( mavericks )causing a conflict.
Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
rACed2

Re: mac mini i7 yamaha 01v96i, motu fastline usb midi new [Re: sp]
      #1082189 - 07/01/14 06:13 AM
Do you have a fusion drive on Mini? They do seem to be causing problems. How have you got the MOTU &/or Yamaha set up (both physically and logically through the DAW). Firmware versions of the interfaces?

sp

Re: mac mini i7 yamaha 01v96i, motu fastline usb midi new [Re: rACed2]
      #1082202 - 07/01/14 10:08 AM
Many thanks for the reply,
I went for the SSD 250gb option hard drive having read about problems with the fusion drives.
The firmware and drivers are the latest downloads from both yamaha and motu.
The yamaha was connected via USB to the mac and midi cables from the keyboard to the yamaha and back in the traditional way.I could play software instruments but not get a midi return to play my piano(I went through this with yamaha and they said even on thier 01v96i Ithey could not get this to work ,and said they were not sure if the desk was capable of of being used as a traditional midi interface.
With this I decided to buy a dedicated USB midi interface (motu) wired it in picked it up in the daw it plays ok for about five seconds then goes haywire.This happens in cubase and digital performer so I'm guessing it's the mac .

Matthew Miller

Loc: United States
      #1082403 - 08/01/14 09:03 PM
Do you have local turned off on your piano? You could be generating MIDI feedback if you have MIDI in and out connected to the piano and local is on. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Yamaha doesn't function as a normal MIDI interface. I believe the MIDI is their for use as a control surface and to back up the 01v's memory.

Matt

--------------------
Matt Miller | millertone.com

rACed2

#1082440 - 09/01/14 06:11 AM
Quote sp:

Many thanks for the reply,
With this I decided to buy a dedicated USB midi interface (motu) wired it in picked it up in the daw it plays ok for about five seconds then goes haywire.This happens in cubase and digital performer so I'm guessing it's the mac .

What are your Clockworks settings (I think the fastline uses it?) for the MOTU? And have you tried anything like MIDI Monitor to check on the message coming and going to the interface, and for that matter same thing when you were trying the Yamaha?

sp

#1082630 - 09/01/14 10:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions .I have the local turned off on the keyboard ,I also suspected some sort of loop .I set up the motu midi on a windows 7 system with cubase and it worked with no problems,when I put it back on the mac the problem re occurred .

sp

#1082631 - 09/01/14 10:21 PM
As I am new to the mac i wasn't aware but i will check the clockwork settings and also try a midi monitor .Cheers for the suggestions

rACed2

#1082657 - 10/01/14 08:47 AM
Might be worth double checking what coreAudio has got in it -particularly the MIDI window.

sp

#1082763 - 10/01/14 06:04 PM
Tried clockwork,showed a box saying could not locate motu check USB connection but motu is showing in cubase as port a&b and plays until faults occur ?
Apologies for this but as I am new to mac how do I get into core audio,thanks

rACed2

#1082780 - 10/01/14 08:03 PM
Quote sp:

Tried clockwork,showed a box saying could not locate motu

Okay we seem to have isolated the problem to some extent.

Quote sp:

Apologies for this but as I am new to mac how do I get into core audio,thanks

We're all new at sometime, go to Applications and then look in the Utilities folder you should find CoreAudio there -actualy thinking about it I seem to recall that there is a menu entry for it on the Clockworks menus it might be an idea to browse through them.

sp

#1082988 - 12/01/14 05:40 PM
Managed to solve it!
Bought a second hand roland um 3G which is about three years old,went to thier download site and downloaded the mavericks driver ( well done roland for continuing to support thier product) and it works like a dream.
I'm just disappointed I spent £55 on a motu midi interface .Thier site states all products are compatible with mavericks but I was suspicious when the driver only went up to 10.8 .I don't know if this was the problem but as soon as the roland was dropped in its place everything worked fine.
Many thanks for the help though it's been a frustrating couple of weeks.
Cheers

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2079

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media