Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
porthoss78

Loc: Bristol
Logic - Sandboxed in the Future?
      #1082268 - 07/01/14 08:52 PM
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Just saw this post about a developer preview of Logic X sandboxed:

http://www.analogindustries.com/b1863/Sandbolloxed

So, if it is true, it looks like some more changes are coming...

Cheers
J

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: porthoss78]
      #1082277 - 08/01/14 12:18 AM
Yep. The current versions of GB are sandboxed already, LPX is partially sandboxed.

There are some developer threads on various forums including KVR that go into issues plugin developers are having with the Apple sandboxed hosts, like not being able to store prefs in the gloabl prefs directory and sandboxed plugins can only write to specific folders unless explicitly granted permission, and other issues.

But yes, LPX will go this way too, and it's one more thing plugin developers are going to have to cater for...

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1082281 - 08/01/14 02:30 AM
er … Sandboxed??? Googled and still no wiser.

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1082282 - 08/01/14 02:40 AM
Look here. Enjoy ;-)

Guy Johnson

#1082334 - 08/01/14 02:44 PM
Er … that's what I found and I'm not sure how this relates to Logic and its use ...

--------------------

desmond

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1082346 - 08/01/14 03:12 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

Er … that's what I found and I'm not sure how this relates to Logic and its use ...

Up to now, a computer application running on your computer can do anything - it could use any resources your computer has access to, open internet connections, read and write anywhere on the disk, talk to low level connected hardware etc.

Sandboxed apps cannot do anything they wish - they will be able to do a limited amount of things that they have explicit permission to do, as a security precaution. So now, running a plugin inside a sandboxed app also means that the plugin cannot do whatever it wants - plugins that have large sample libraries on external drives, or save preferences, or have copy protection, or talk to external hardware cannot do that stuff freely. This has significant implications to both developers and end users.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: desmond]
      #1082348 - 08/01/14 03:32 PM
An excellent and succinct explanation -- thanks Desmond.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1082387 - 08/01/14 06:58 PM
Desmond is brilliant at explaining things that are difficult to explain...and one of the main reasons I frequent these forums...thanks for your insight des!

Does this mean (directed to Desmond) that kontakt and others are gonna have issues with logic??

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

desmond

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Wease]
      #1082392 - 08/01/14 07:25 PM
Quote Wease:

Desmond is brilliant at explaining things that are difficult to explain...and one of the main reasons I frequent these forums...thanks for your insight des!

Well thanks!
I just like to geek out on this stuff like many of us do - it's far better that than watching mindless TV or something

Quote Wease:

Does this mean (directed to Desmond) that kontakt and others are gonna have issues with logic??

At this point, it's a bit early to see how things will shake out. If you want to get a feel for some of the issues developers are having checking their current products in the sandboxed developer preview of LPX, have a read through some of the threads indicated above. Different developers have different issues according to the needs of their products and the way they have implemented them, and are coming to different solutions. And I'm sure that more issues will come to light over time as developers discover them and Apple change the behaviours and rules of the sandboxing requirements.

Some won't be affected much, and may only have to do some minor updates to be fully compatible. Others may be affected somewhat more seriously, potentially requiring some significant re-engineering of their products, or even dropping them altogether if the issues are too impacting. Others simply won't play by Apple's rules I'm sure.

Although I understand the reasoning behind Apple moving toward a more sandboxed model, it's a shame that some of these restrictions are going to cause problems for developers in particular - as Chris Randall says, retooling existing products that already work perfectly well because the rules of the game have changed is really irritating, when that effort could go into improving the products or creating new ones.

It's a double-edged sword really - I'm perfectly willing to trust reputable developers to have code running on my system that could do all kinds of nasty stuff, because it's extremely unlikely any reputable developer would do that. At the same time, putting my tin foil hat on - while unlikely - it's not unfeasible that I could download an update to a plugin I own, and have it silently routed through a man-in-the-middle attack and get NSA spyware or other nasties injected into that file - and once it's running, the lack of a sandbox means that an attacker can now have full control of my system.

Now for some things, the effects on the user may be minimal - for instance, the first time you run a plugin it will ask you what resources it needs and you will explicitly give permission for those things. In other cases, it might be annoying - for example, Apple are suggesting that all plugins or music apps should only be allowed to write to ~/Music/.

Now, personally I'd like to only store project files in this folder, and not litter it with sample libraries, random plugin preferences and settings, preset and sound files and everything else related to music production - I'm using a laptop and it ain't all going to fit on the internal drive, for sure.

Now there may be easy solutions for these things, or more painful ones - we simply don't know yet (and I can't say I've researched this topic thoroughly). But for sure, it *will* impact developers and users in ways which at this point are a little uncertain. There is always a compromise between security and convenience, unfortunately.

As always though, it's wise to stay ahead of developments but not rush into updating before fully assessing the implications and impact into your own workflow, particularly at the front end of yet another transition process - best to observe from the sidelines for a while and watch the issues shake out, before taking the plunge, unless there are really really really good reasons to jump in (or you just like the drama

johnny h

#1082393 - 08/01/14 07:32 PM
Quote porthoss78:

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Just saw this post about a developer preview of Logic X sandboxed:

http://www.analogindustries.com/b1863/Sandbolloxed

So, if it is true, it looks like some more changes are coming...

Cheers
J

Great idea, should have been like this from the start. The less programs with full access to my system the better. Especially lazy plugin manufacturers and their insidious copy protection systems.

porthoss78

Loc: Bristol
      #1082401 - 08/01/14 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info Desmond, I also wasn't 100% on what the implications would be.

I'm all for extra security as long as it's not going to impact negatively on the amount of AU plugins available. Gforce Software are currently not supporting AAX due to the amount of work and time to port to yet another type of plugin, I could see a few more smaller companies adopting a similar outlook.

Hopefully, the size of the Logic user base will make it worth while for most companies to port.

I can't see Apple stopping people from installing sample libraries etc. in a different directory though, it would surely push Logic out of the 'Pro App' category.

Thanks again
J

Edited by porthoss78 (08/01/14 09:00 PM)

Matthew Miller

Loc: United States
      #1082404 - 08/01/14 09:11 PM
Perhaps the sandboxing approach could lead to opening up the App Store to plugin and sample library developers, which would give them copy protection and less tech support issues due caused by authorization problems.

Matt

--------------------
Matt Miller | millertone.com

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Matthew Miller]
      #1082426 - 09/01/14 12:54 AM
to be honest, I'm sticking with Logic 9, I hate LPX… eye strain central and depressing….

I have a good grasp of the concept, and how it works…..
sandboxing will create complete bloody havoc with plug in developers, and be a complete pain in the ass for advanced users as well……

(I have up to date OS installs on partitions on my Laptop for testing purposes, but the studio Mac pro, is still running snow leopard , which works fine, LP9.18 which works fine, PT9, which works fine…. as does the Liquid Mix, and a heap of other "out dated" but good sounding bits of software and hardware…. )

there is a lot to be said for old, but tried and tested…. reliable, stable, predictable….

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

Guy Johnson

#1082427 - 09/01/14 01:29 AM
Thanks for the info, Desmond. Pellucid, as always...

--------------------

MikeW.

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Matthew Miller]
      #1082434 - 09/01/14 03:22 AM
Quote Matthew Miller:

Perhaps the sandboxing approach could lead to opening up the App Store to plugin and sample library developers, which would give them copy protection and less tech support issues due caused by authorization problems.

Matt

Apple would first have to change the app store submission guidelines. Currently only apps are allowed which do not depend on extra software that needs to be downloaded or installed. That being said once certain Keyboard/Sampler plug-ins are sandboxed the plug-ins can be offered as stand-alone versions in the Mac app store.

MikeW.

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: johnny h]
      #1082437 - 09/01/14 03:48 AM
Quote johnny h:

Great idea, should have been like this from the start. The less programs with full access to my system the better. Especially lazy plugin manufacturers and their insidious copy protection systems.

Should Apple ever require all applications to be sandboxed to run on OS X it might be the bitter end of iLok but it will also mean that you won't be able to run many of the great free utilities like 'OnyX' and 'CarbonCopyCloner' which keep your system running smoothly and allow you to create easy backups of your hard drive. You will also have to live without many advanced features of mature apps with long development histories. It will make your life safer from malware but it will not make your life easier.

DAGGILARR

Loc: Exeter, Devon.
      #1082446 - 09/01/14 08:54 AM
If anyone were to find this too much of a PITA and it were to threaten key plug ins, what DAW would you migrate to, from Logic, and why?

--------------------

Stephen Bennett

Loc: England
Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: DAGGILARR]
      #1082452 - 09/01/14 09:37 AM
Quote DAGGILARR:

If anyone were to find this too much of a PITA and it were to threaten key plug ins, what DAW would you migrate to, from Logic, and why?

This surely wont just affect Logic Pro - all applications will eventually need to be sandboxed to work on the Mac. This move makes sense for computer manufacturers as they can see how effective tighter controls are at preventing viri and other malware affecting iPads and other closed systems.

Microsoft will surely implement these controls too - the effect on computer stability and security will far outweigh limitations of access for most users.

The question you should be asking is which Linux - based DAW you'll be moving to.

Stephen

--------------------
New Henry Fool album (Feat: Phil Manzenera and Jarrod Gosling of iMonster.)
New Tim Bowness album (Feat: Steven Wilson, Pat Mastelotto.)

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1082453 - 09/01/14 09:52 AM
Quote DAGGILARR:

I have always been on Cubase and I'm sticking to it with Snow Leopard for the forseeable future.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Stephen Bennett]
      #1082549 - 09/01/14 10:54 AM
Quote Stephen Bennett:

The question you should be asking is which Linux - based DAW you'll be moving to.

A brilliant question!

Problem - The top DAWs (measured in user base for prosumers and professionals) are Logic, CuBase, Reaper, ProTools, Ableton and Studio One. Those six account for 75% of all DAW usage and AFAIK, none are on Linux. (And before anybody asks, no I can't divulge where those figures came from!)

Fact One - Logic is the number one DAW right across all platforms and accounts for a massive chunk of professional use for audio on Macs. Until this 'sandboxing' malarkey appeared, we always assumed that Logic, Garageband and FC were only there to help to sell Apples. It now seems that security for iPads and consumer stuff like that is more important than the sale of Macs (or am I reading that incorrectly?)

Fact Two - The DAW market is small and getting smaller. The user base may be expanding, but the rising stars have been the budget packages like Reaper and Studio One, both of which have become Big Beasts, almost overnight, after years of very slow yet steady development. Both have been making steady progress into the Mac market, but both rely on PC users for nearly all their user base and revenues. Both have tiny development teams who have better things to do, than worry about their small Mac user base.

So looking at all the above, that just leaves CuBase with a development team large enough to move to play in Apple's sandbox in a timely manner. The others may follow, but would almost certainly hang back until they thought that they have to.

It may be a bit like the AAX thing - many developers just said 'Why bother?'

Jumpeyspyder

Loc: Yorkshire
      #1082550 - 09/01/14 11:18 AM
Hi All

I can see a certain amount of work will be required by developers, but I don't think there will be a major problem.

Mostly it will be a case of ensuring that plug-ins are installed to a specified plugins folder that Logic will have permissions to access, and then giving the plug-in rights to access any external sample data etc.

Where development is harder, developers will release a new compatible plugin and charge us for a few new features to make it more palatable.

As always, with Apple, it will be a case of waiting and seeing what happens.

desmond

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1082551 - 09/01/14 11:21 AM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Problem - The top DAWs (measured in user base for prosumers and professionals) are Logic, CuBase, Reaper, ProTools, Ableton and Studio One. Those six account for 75% of all DAW usage and AFAIK, none are on Linux.

Studio One has a higher userbase than DP, or Sonar? Interesting...

Quote The Red Bladder:

Fact One - Logic is the number one DAW right across all platforms and accounts for a massive chunk of professional use for audio on Macs. Until this 'sandboxing' malarkey appeared, we always assumed that Logic, Garageband and FC were only there to help to sell Apples. It now seems that security for iPads and consumer stuff like that is more important than the sale of Macs (or am I reading that incorrectly?)

System security and stability is a concern and it seems like consumer awareness of security issues is increasing - due in part, no doubt, to the recent and ongoing NSA/GCHQ whistleblowing shenanigans, and the very real threat of things like Cryptolocker, which is one of the worst-case security threats since exploits started to occur in large scale over the internets.

Sandboxing for everything will likely become a standard feature for all OS's and largely makes sense, as long as there is not too much friction to consumers. For the majority of the casual users, it is 100% a good idea, but as is often the way, things are a little more complicated for power users, who usually demand a lot more of their system and tools and (usually) run their systems more responsibly.

Quote The Red Bladder:

Both have been making steady progress into the Mac market, but both rely on PC users for nearly all their user base and revenues. Both have tiny development teams who have better things to do, than worry about their small Mac user base.

I guess this explains why DP eventually got ported to Windows, if their existing userbase is so small...

Quote The Red Bladder:

It may be a bit like the AAX thing - many developers just said 'Why bother?'

Indeed.

desmond

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Jumpeyspyder]
      #1082552 - 09/01/14 11:24 AM
Quote Jumpeyspyder:

I can see a certain amount of work will be required by developers, but I don't think there will be a major problem.

Mostly it will be a case of ensuring that plug-ins are installed to a specified plugins folder that Logic will have permissions to access, and then giving the plug-in rights to access any external sample data etc.

Where development is harder, developers will release a new compatible plugin and charge us for a few new features to make it more palatable.

That is basically what I expect to happen, as well.

Quote Jumpeyspyder:

As always, with Apple, it will be a case of waiting and seeing what happens.

Yep. It's trickier for developers, because it's harder for them to wait and see and still deliver a viable product at a time that customers expect to run on current systems.

The Red Bladder

#1082557 - 09/01/14 12:29 PM
Quote desmond:

I guess this explains why DP eventually got ported to Windows, if their existing userbase is so small.

Except that they have practically no user base on Windows, but 9% user share on Mac. A salutary lesson to all of us - playing catch-up is far too often a road to nowhere. On Windows, DP is nowhere.

Compare that with Ableton, which started on both. It has the same user base on both Mac and PC.

BTW, what do the software packages Ableton, Melodyne, Elastique, CuBase and Nuendo have in common?

Yes, you've guessed it! They all came from graduates of the mathematics department of the Technischen Universität Berlin. There's a lesson there for us, somewhere!

chris...

#1082561 - 09/01/14 01:04 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

It now seems that security for iPads and consumer stuff like that is more important than the sale of Macs (or am I reading that incorrectly?)

You are reading this incorrectly. The issue at hand is the security of Macs, not iPads.

desmond

#1082567 - 09/01/14 01:12 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Quote desmond:

I guess this explains why DP eventually got ported to Windows, if their existing userbase is so small.

Except that they have practically no user base on Windows, but 9% user share on Mac. A salutary lesson to all of us - playing catch-up is far too often a road to nowhere. On Windows, DP is nowhere.

Yeah, that's what I meant - that their userbase was so small, they seemingly *had* to port and get access to the PC market in order to increase their potential user base... Of course, this happened recently and it's, as you say, a long uphill climb...

BTW, what do the software packages Ableton, Melodyne, Elastique, CuBase and Nuendo have in common?

Quote The Red Bladder:

Yes, you've guessed it! They all came from graduates of the mathematics department of the Technischen Universität Berlin. There's a lesson there for us, somewhere!

Yep, music/audio software has had a strong Germanic influence over the last thirty years - however, Vision, Performer, ProTools and many other audio tools have come from other places around the world too...

Scramble

#1082569 - 09/01/14 01:18 PM
I think RB's point was that going to a proper University and studying a proper subject is a better pathway to a successful career than doing Music Tech at an ex-Poly.

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
      #1082579 - 09/01/14 03:28 PM
Although studying a proper subject at an ex-poly - when it was an actual poly! (back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) hasn't actually done my professional career much harm either.

Note: the common denominator is of course "proper subject"

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

DAGGILARR

#1082580 - 09/01/14 03:28 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

There's a lesson there for us, somewhere!

World DAW 3

--------------------

The Red Bladder

#1082600 - 09/01/14 05:28 PM
It's a bit of both, really. The Technische Universität Berlin began life as a polytechnic (Technische Hochschule) which was combined with a vocational school established in the 18th Century called the Royal College for Vocational Studies (Königliche Gewerbeakademie). After the war, it became the Technische Universität Berlin.

The lesson to be learnt (as far as I am concerned) is that throughout its history, it has spun off great companies and minds and these in turn has provided employment and wealth for millions. This is the direct result of the striving for excellence. Think of Cambridge and Surrey. Think of MIT. Great technical universities bring with them great wealth.

Great academic universities bring with them politicians and civil servants.

DAGGILARR

#1082604 - 09/01/14 06:01 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Great technical universities bring with them great wealth.

Great academic universities bring with them politicians and civil servants.

And yet we live in world of obscene imbalance and injustice where only a VERY small percentage actually benefit from this wealth; all overseen by politicians, and run by civil servants.

--------------------

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #1082615 - 09/01/14 07:28 PM
Quote DAGGILARR:

And yet we live in world of obscene imbalance and injustice where only a VERY small percentage actually benefit from this wealth; all overseen by politicians, and run by civil servants.

Repeated for emphasis.

If Apple becomes more and more unwieldy and dictatorial, I guess many users will jump ship. I'll be one of them.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Tui]
      #1082620 - 09/01/14 08:40 PM
But, cosmetics aside, a reputation for impregnability is the Mac's only real asset. Has a vulnerability been discovered?

xFasterMikeyH

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1082666 - 10/01/14 10:30 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

But, cosmetics aside, a reputation for impregnability is the Mac's only real asset. Has a vulnerability been discovered?

What are the fake assets? Thanks.

johnny h

Re: Logic - Sandboxed in the Future? new [Re: Tui]
      #1082682 - 10/01/14 11:48 AM
Quote Tui:

Quote DAGGILARR:

Repeated for emphasis.

If Apple becomes more and more unwieldy and dictatorial, I guess many users will jump ship. I'll be one of them.

Where to? Microsoft? Linux? Atari?

desmond

#1082685 - 10/01/14 12:03 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Vulnerabilities are always discovered across all systems, nothing is 100% bullet proof, and Macs are not impregnable - they are just, up to now at least, a smaller (but increasing) target vector in the overall scheme of things (there are other factors too but this is an audio forum not a computer security one).

Holes get patched as they are identified, and companies like MS and Apple work hard to mitigate security threats.

Exalted Wombat

#1082694 - 10/01/14 12:51 PM
Quote desmond:

...Macs are not impregnable - they are just, up to now at least, a smaller (but increasing) target vector in the overall scheme of things...

You're saying that the reason Macs rarely suffer malware is that nobody has tried to attack them?

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
      #1082697 - 10/01/14 01:06 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote desmond:

...Macs are not impregnable - they are just, up to now at least, a smaller (but increasing) target vector in the overall scheme of things...

You're saying that the reason Macs rarely suffer malware is that nobody has tried to attack them?

They did and will do again but why lose time and efforts to attack a so small portion of the PC market?

desmond

#1082700 - 10/01/14 01:11 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

I'm saying that *one* of the reasons OSX is seen as a more secure platform is that there are far fewer malware developers using far fewer attacks on a far smaller target number of potential machines, yes.

Basically, if you want to spend three months writing some code that can exploit machines, you are far more likely to use the option that can potentially hit 200 million machines versus one that can hit 20,000 machines (unless you are targetting something very specific.)

But it's not the only reason - there are other factors as well (as I alluded to already), not least that traditionally a lot of malware was coming from less well-developed countries, including eastern-european states, where access to Macs is far less common that access to a cheap Windows PC.

As I try to keep broadly up to date with security issues, I would say that my impression is that Windows machines get exploited far more than OSX, but I cannot really say that this is because Windows is fundamentally less secure in general. That may or may not be the case - but certainly, Windows machines are attacked more frequently by more malware than OSX machines.

This may or may not change in the future, and certainly as Macs become more popular and market share increases, OSX machines become a more viable target all the time.

Basically, using OSX has some security advantages at present, but that doesn't mean you can afford to be too flippant and disregard good security practices in general - running insecure code from unknown sources, clicking on random links emailed to you, using and reusing poor passwords and other things can all lead potentially to problems, regardless of what computer system you are running.

johnny h

#1082701 - 10/01/14 01:11 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote desmond:

This mac envy is really getting out of hand. If you are going to troll at least try and be original.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 8572

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media