Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Craig Eastwood

Loc: Stockport
Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system
      #1309 - 01/09/04 04:33 PM
I'm about to start a project with a friend where we collect large amounts of video footage together and then edit it all down before creating the soundtracks. The problem we have is that there will be a mixture of Windows XP and Mac OSX machines used for this, hopefully with a firewire HD used to transfer video files between machines.

Does anybody know what kind of access I can gain to an NTFS formatted drive from OSX? I'm hoping that I can read and write video files in excess of 4GB in size so that this same drive can then be used to transport the raw footage to and from a Windows XP machine. If anybody can shed any light on this situation (or point me to the necessary information) I'd be grateful, as the Apple web site simply says the latest OS version gives "improved support" for NTFS volumes.

Anyway, thanks in advance and I hope the new forum turns out to be worth the changes!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
PaulD

Loc: Bristol UK
Re: Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system new [Re: Craig Eastwood]
      #1516 - 01/09/04 06:42 PM
Hi
As I understand it OSX has up to now been able to read NTFS drives, but writing to such drives hasn't been made possible because all the invisible system files that Mac OS writes to a drive aren't understood by Windows, and result in Win XP trashing data on the drive after its been mounted on a Mac.
This is a fundamental problem/incompatibility, and I haven't heard that 10.3.5 has changed things.

It has been safer to use MacDrive or Mac Opener 2000 to allow a Windows PC to read/write-to a Mac formatted drive.

inocybe

Loc: Belgium
Re: Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system new [Re: PaulD]
      #1570 - 01/09/04 07:25 PM
last time I checked, reading and mounting the drive worked, but writing didn't. It's a bit of a shame they didn't get it to work properly yet, but there is still lots of change in the mac/pc compatebillity with every update released. I hope, after some time, they'd finally get it to work (probably by the time longhorm gets released, which will probably have a new file system .. so we can start over again..).. But if you really need to do so, use a FAT32 disk (but I think they can't handle files bigger then 2Gb, no?) or check out some 3th party software on the mac or PC side.. (maybe there is some good pc app that lets you open HFS+ disks?)

--------------------
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to eat nuclear warheads?

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
      #1578 - 01/09/04 07:34 PM
The safe and easy answer is to use Ms-Dos Formatted external Hard drives.

They work absolutely fine under both systems.

As proof of the pudding, Jack had to transfer 18Gb of audio for pro-tools when I reclaimed my G5 from him last week. this was achieved using a Bog std, off the shelf Iomega pocket HDD USB2.0 External Dive, Pre-formatted in Ms-Dos.

His PC is Xp pro, My G5 is 10.3.5.

Max

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

Craig Eastwood

Loc: Stockport
Re: Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #3141 - 02/09/04 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought about using MS-DOS format drives but thought there was a maximum single file size of 2GB on these. If I'm wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised and the problems all disappear. If this is the case, we'll just have to collect all the footage on the Windows machine first with the drive formatted in NTFS then transfer it all into my machine before reformatting the drive to collect the footage on the Mac machine for editing. Either that or I'll just buy the software to let both machines see the Mac formatted disc.

Anyway, thanks again.

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
      #3331 - 02/09/04 11:49 PM
Ahhhh FILE.... I was thinking Folders. (I'm an Audio geezer, not a Video Chap)

Not sure..... I haven't got a 2GB+ file to hand... But to test ti,, see if you can copy a DVD disc image to any Std External usb or Fw drive

That is, one that was not reformatted or otherwise molested... but came ready to go... as they are all MS-DOS

Max

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

FrankRaz

#1048714 - 17/05/13 01:39 PM
You could try Paragon's snappily titled NTFS For Mac.
Allows you to read and write to NTFS drives from a Mac would you believe.

NTFS For Mac

Bossman

Loc: UK
Re: Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system new [Re: FrankRaz]
      #1048718 - 17/05/13 01:56 PM
Frank, this thread is 9 years old.. I would hope the OP has found a solution by now

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

FrankRaz

#1048816 - 18/05/13 07:35 AM
Whoops I didn't even look to see when it started.

This is highly embarrasing, looks like I need to go to Specsavers.

xFasterMikeyH

Re: Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system new [Re: FrankRaz]
      #1048829 - 18/05/13 10:03 AM
Quote FrankRaz:

Whoops I didn't even look to see when it started.

This is highly embarrasing, looks like I need to go to Specsavers.

Don't worry, there's a bug with the forum software - on occasion it displays threads in ascending chronological order (or at least shows very old threads at the top of the list). Cue much confusion and occasional amusement.

FMH.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4805

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media