Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Marcin_Siejka
don-tree-member

Loc: Somerset,UK
AATranslator - projects from one DAW to another?
      #974322 - 06/03/12 02:44 AM
Hi,

(Sorry “Mods” if this is in the wrong place PC/Mac)

I’m about to work on a project that was recorded in Sonar v8 PE.
I work with Pro Tools v8, v9 and v10.
Now is this AATranslator any good? Does this work with Sonar/ProTools?
I did check their website but just wanted to find out more from you guys.
If it was just a one session I guess it would be no fuss (I’d save/import all as separate .wav’s with the same starting point).
However I’m thinking in the long term as a time saving investment.

Please feel free to post your suggestions for equivalent software to AATranslator.

Your help is as always much appreciated.

Thanks!

Marcin

--------------------
"A legend is an old man with a cane known for what he used to do. I'm still doing it." - Miles Davis

Edited by SouthWestStudio (06/03/12 03:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Marcin_Siejka
don-tree-member

Re: AATranslator - projects from one DAW to another? new [Re: Marcin_Siejka]
      #974325 - 06/03/12 07:46 AM
Quote SouthWestStudio:

Hi,

(Sorry “Mods” if this is in the wrong place PC/Mac)

I’m about to work on a project that was recorded in Sonar v8 PE.
I work with Pro Tools v8, v9 and v10.
Now is this AATranslator any good? Does this work with Sonar/ProTools?
I did check their website but just wanted to find out more from you guys.
If it was just a one session I guess it would be no fuss (I’d save/import all as separate .wav’s with the same starting point).
However I’m thinking in the long term as a time saving investment.

Please feel free to post your suggestions for equivalent software to AATranslator.

Your help is as always much appreciated.

Thanks!

Marcin

^^^PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST^^^

I'm sorry, I had a blond moment and completely forgot about OMF export/import.

--------------------
"A legend is an old man with a cane known for what he used to do. I'm still doing it." - Miles Davis

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #974357 - 06/03/12 10:52 AM
In case OMF fails to come up with the goods for you, there's an SOS article on the subject here. AA Translator isn't included in that, though there's a possible review in the pipeline.

Marcin_Siejka
don-tree-member

Re: AATranslator - projects from one DAW to another? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #974639 - 07/03/12 10:01 PM
Quote Mixedup:

In case OMF fails to come up with the goods for you, there's an <a href="/sos/dec10/articles/daw-transfers.htm" target="_blank">SOS article on the subject here</a>. AA Translator isn't included in that, though there's a possible review in the pipeline.

Thank you Sir!
I'll take a moment to read this thing and yes please, review would be a big plus!
Thanks,

--------------------

seablade

#974645 - 07/03/12 10:25 PM
From what I have heard AATranslator does a decent job at the basics. But I have no direct experience with it. However if you contact the developer he has been pretty open to giving a test run or two in the past IIRC where you send him a session and he will convert it. Not sure how that would hold up if he gets overrun with such requests though.

Seablade

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #974933 - 09/03/12 03:47 PM
As I understand it, the only alternative is Pro Convert - which started off in a similar way as AA Translator as one person's attempt to be able to read sessions from other people into their favourite software. I've used AATranslator to convert a Sonar OMF into Reaper and it seemed to convert the basic stuff although Sonar's OMF export isn't particularly comprehensive. I have the full version here so I could do you a sample session if you want to give it a go.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Runaway

Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #975074 - 10/03/12 01:11 PM
AAtranslator not only converts the 'basics' for a significant number of formats but be continue to provide more and more detailed conversions with every release with some formats we are now struggling to find more things to convert.

Of course we are limited in some circumstances like James' Sonar OMF example. Sonar's implementation not only includes stereo files (an OMF no no) but provides scant other info so a conversion in this case will certainly only provide the 'basics'.

ProConvert is indeed a fine product and what it does it does pretty well but there are a lot of things and a lot of formats it doesn't cater for and that's where AATranslator comes in.
We continue to drill down on the perculiarities of converting one specific daw to another to ensure that where possible we can respectably convert practically any format to any other.
For instance we have overcome PT's inability to correctly import markers/cues from a PT5 file (even one it creates itself!), we get around AA3 and SAW's inability to load AIF files extracted from an FCP OMF, etc, etc. So sometimes a 'basic' conversion has a lot more going on behind the scenes just to get it across the line.

Apart from adding support for new formats (eg Ableton) each new version is packed with something to make every conversion 'easy'. For example, our next version will have the following in it:-

* Nuendo/Cubase Import: More refinements (eg group tracks) when importing Steinberg Track Archives (xml)
* Nuendo/Cubase Import: Fixed overflow error from 20 digit numbers in Cubase 6 xmls
* ProTools Import: Can now read session files from PT version 5.1 to 6.9 (ie AAT can now read PT versions 5 to 9)
* SAW Export: Now write session offset to SAW EDL
* SAW Import: Video track not converting – now fixed
* SAW Import: Improved support for track layers and track out of order
* Export to PT5: Added option to remove offset from timeline and add to session offset
* Export to PT5: Workaround for PT internal bug which caused PT to not properly display all markers
* Import/Export PT/PT5: Clip/region names now supported
* Can now read PT10 PTF files saved as PT9
* PTF & PT5 fade types now convert to Steinberg XML
* Xfades now being imported into Cubase/Nuendo from AAT XMLs
* Steinberg fade types now convert to Reaper and vice versa
* AES31/ADL fades now convert to Steinberg XMLs as well as Reaper
* Export to PT5: Identical clips/regions are no longer listed separately in the 'Region list'
* Most formats now have the option to save the conversion to the source folder “Send Output to…” / “Folder containing source...”
* Fixes problems with Logic v9 produced FCP XMLs
* Export to PT5: Now write fade types
* Added import & export support for Ableton Live v8 ALS session files (arrangement view)
* Fixed error reading some Audition sesx files
* Fixed error writing invalid file length to Audition XML files
* Now imports Cool Edit 2000 1.0 session files
* Vegas EDL (TXT) conversions to PT5, OMF and others now fixed where clips overlap by 1 sample
* Vegas EDL (TXT) conversions to PT5, OMF and others with multiple VIDEO tracks now fixed
* OMF files containing AIFC chunks now converted to AIFF chunks for SAW and Audition v3 and earlier
* AA3 sessions (ses or XML) converted from a format with a session offset will only record from the start of the track
To fix this the session offset is no longer converted to AA3 ses or XML session files

No doubt there will be more added before we get the next version out the door or is that DAW ;-)

But talk is cheap the proof is always in the conversion and as Seablade said we are happy to be put to the test.

--------------------
AATranslator

seablade

Re: AATranslator - projects from one DAW to another? new [Re: Runaway]
      #975093 - 10/03/12 03:00 PM
Quote Runaway:

But talk is cheap the proof is always in the conversion and as Seablade said we are happy to be put to the test.

Yea I just wish that you ran on other platforms other than Windows;) All this being said though I may need to check performance under Wine and see if I can create a bottle or wineskin for AATranslator for Mac and Linux, as the ability to convert from FCP to Ardour or Mixbus would be great for me as I am often working with that exact workflow with the video guy I work with.

Seablade

PS Didn't even realize you were on this forum, nice to see you pop up and I don't envy you trying to keep up with the forums you apparently do.

Runaway

#975098 - 10/03/12 04:06 PM
Yes it is hard to keep abreast of all that goes on but I do try.

I did have a go at trying to do the WineBottle thing and came real close but was missing some MS specific functionality - but I'm no mac expert (the ones I'm used to come with fries).
We did/do have some plans once we actually had this thing finished to rewrite it in something more universal but to be honest I don't see any end to this ride ;-)

--------------------
AATranslator

seablade

#975112 - 10/03/12 05:14 PM
Quote Runaway:

We did/do have some plans once we actually had this thing finished to rewrite it in something more universal but to be honest I don't see any end to this ride ;-)

Yea don't get me wrong, I am well aware of the effort it can take to rewrite such a beast when it was originally written with one platform in mind, I can't blame you for not wanting to take that on yet.

Ill drop you an email when I have some time to see if you want me to take a look at seeing if I can get it running in Wine on either Mac or Linux. On a Mac especially I have found a tool called WineSkin (http://wineskin.doh123.com/) to be great for things like this, nothing quite equivalent on Linux, but Crossover's bottle functionality isn't horrible either. The real nice thing about Wineskin compared to alternatives is that once you set up the bundle, it doesn't get touched by anything you do anywhere else, and can be completely self contained with a known working version of Wine. Obviously you still have to respect the licensing of Wine, etc. with it, but since you wouldn't be linking against Wine itself, it means providing the source code of Wine if requested primarily (IANAL of course applies here).

Seablade

Runaway

Re: AATranslator - projects from one DAW to another? new [Re: seablade]
      #975155 - 11/03/12 03:54 AM
Quote seablade:

Ill drop you an email when I have some time to see if you want me to take a look at seeing if I can get it running in Wine on either Mac or Linux.

Look forward to hearing from you

--------------------
AATranslator

Runaway

#1039841 - 26/03/13 01:19 AM
Wow it seems so long ago that I posted here but life (and AAT) just seem to get in the way

Just a quick note to say that we released version 5.6 on St Patricks Day (in between the odd Irish Whiskey) and naturally it was crammed full of goodies.

But even more importantly since then we have been banging our heads on reading PT10 PTX files and I'm very pleased to say that we have a beta version running which does just that. Still a few things to work out and test (Avid never make it easy but pressure is what turns coal into diamonds) so our next release should be worth waiting for

BTW AATranslator runs just fine on a Mac using a PC emulator like Wine, etal

Edited by Runaway (26/03/13 01:20 AM)

seablade

#1044160 - 19/04/13 11:22 PM
Quote Runaway:

Wow it seems so long ago that I posted here but life (and AAT) just seem to get in the way

Just a quick note to say that we released version 5.6 on St Patricks Day (in between the odd Irish Whiskey) and naturally it was crammed full of goodies.

But even more importantly since then we have been banging our heads on reading PT10 PTX files and I'm very pleased to say that we have a beta version running which does just that. Still a few things to work out and test (Avid never make it easy but pressure is what turns coal into diamonds) so our next release should be worth waiting for

BTW AATranslator runs just fine on a Mac using a PC emulator like Wine, etal

Heh great, I am building a small production suite here for myself and three video people to share, so there will be lots of exchanging going on, and I will probably have to look at creating a wineskin then. I have a few projects to finish up first, but that is slowly moving to the top of my priority list.

Seablade

Runaway

Re: AATranslator - projects from one DAW to another? new [Re: seablade]
      #1044232 - 20/04/13 02:23 PM
Then it may be of interest to you our our next release is nearly ready.

The next version will allow our users to convert to and from Pyramix and read PT10 PTX files.

AFAIK this will make us the only daw convertor that can read versions 9 & 10 of PT
I guess we will have to start on PT11 next

--------------------
AATranslator

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 8167

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media