Mountain Lion is out..

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
johnny h

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: Bossman]
      #999885 - 26/07/12 09:58 AM
It is.

But before upgrading, its prudent to wait until the nerds on Gearslutz who have all the gear but never make any music to test it out first.

desmond

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: johnny h]
      #999895 - 26/07/12 10:52 AM
Or just make a full clone of your system, and/or install it to a test drive/partition so you can play without affecting your production machines until you *know* it's not going to cause compatibility issues.

There have been USB/audio interface issues with some hardware, apparently...

johnny h

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: desmond]
      #999896 - 26/07/12 11:00 AM
Quote desmond:

Or just make a full clone of your system, and/or install it to a test drive/partition so you can play without affecting your production machines until you *know* it's not going to cause compatibility issues.

There have been USB/audio interface issues with some hardware, apparently...

If you've got a spare afternoon and *really* nothing better to do.

fletcher

Loc: london
      #999906 - 26/07/12 11:35 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57470261-263/older-64-bit-macs-out-of -the-picture-for-mountain-lion/?tag=mncol;txt

mountain won't run on older macs (even ones that could run lion)

desmond

#999921 - 26/07/12 12:15 PM
Quote johnny h:

It would take a *lot* longer if you installed it over your existing system without backups, realised something critical to your workflow didn't work, and had to try and get back to your old working system again...

Personally, there's little so far in ML that's an incentive to me to upgrade. Perhaps if they fixed the *appalling* dual-monitor full screen issues in Lion that might be enough of a reason...

johnny h

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: desmond]
      #999937 - 26/07/12 01:37 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote johnny h:

It would take a *lot* longer if you installed it over your existing system without backups, realised something critical to your workflow didn't work, and had to try and get back to your old working system again...

Better to just wait it out. I mean, exactly what killer features are missing from your current operating system?

desmond

#999957 - 26/07/12 03:01 PM
Quote johnny h:

Better to just wait it out. I mean, exactly what killer features are missing from your current operating system?

A working implementation of full screen for folks with more than one monitor, for a start...

Freuman

Loc: Benfleet, Essex, UK
      #999965 - 26/07/12 03:50 PM
Unfortunately I don't want a phone operating system on my computer.

All the reviews are saying is "Look now you can buy 3 gadgets of different sizes that all do the same thing."

Also an update every year? I usually have to wait a year for Avid to catch up and release something compatible then another few months for it to be suitably bug free!

Looks like I may have to get a Linux system...

--------------------
11011110110010101111 - 110000001111111111101110 - 101110101101
Hexadecimal binary coding anyone?

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
      #999968 - 26/07/12 03:55 PM
The real question is where Apple's OS-naming policy will go from here. Sea Lion, maybe? I'm also not convinced by the progression from lion to mountain lion... Surely a lion, the king of the jungle, could kick a mountain lion's arse any day?

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: The Korff]
      #999977 - 26/07/12 04:22 PM
And I can't find OS X lion on the app store...so no upgrade till I'm sure everything is going to work on mountain

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

fletcher

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #999988 - 26/07/12 06:03 PM
nope, and you wont it's gone. Which is why I posted that link, if like me you have an older mac you will be stuck on snow now. Even though I could have got Lion, I can't run mountain which means I will have to stay on Snow unless I find someone elses disk image of Lion.

quite happy on snow, it's just of course I hope they keep the updates coming - remember that Flash trojan awhile back? They never did sort it out for Leopard, only Snow.....

zoosound

#999989 - 26/07/12 06:22 PM
+1 for sticking with snow. From here on in my mac with protools forever lives in 2011. I'm not updating pt beyond 9 either. I'd rather use tape, or maybe a pc

desmond

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: zoosound]
      #999994 - 26/07/12 07:10 PM
Personally, I think Snow Leopard so far has been by far the best version of OSX.

Streamlined, lean, efficient, stable, not too many gimmicky features, good enough legacy support (e.g. Rosetta) and so on.

Lion is quite bloaty and starts to incorporate gimmicky stuff, breaks or messes up previous features like full screen and spaces, starts to introduce horrifically skeuomorphic interfaces like iCal, is a memory hog and as for Mountain Lion - well, good reports so far, so we'll see...

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #1000017 - 26/07/12 09:53 PM
Thumbs up for Snow Leopard, speed and stability, I will not join the Lion gang...as an aside, for the first time ever yesterday I had a virus alert on my Mac...it almost gave me a heart attack!..thanks Sophos. Dave

--------------------
My head hurts!

Thomas.

#1000066 - 27/07/12 08:12 AM
I upgraded my MacBook Air (second generation) to Mountain Lion, and it is quicker than it was under Lion. Also, I still have access to download Lion in the App Store (since I bought it as an upgrade last year), but I don't think you can buy it now.

To me, the "killer app" is iCloud integration of files, but I am aware that Dropbox pretty much does the same thing. And my music laptop is still running Snow Leopard, because mLan won't run on anything newer.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1000069 - 27/07/12 08:19 AM
Yes I'm on Snow Leopard and am very happy with it.

I really don't like iCloud as opposed to Mobile Me ... And it seems as though these new Lions are biased towards this corporate 'lifestyle' experience of Macs, rather than than a decent user experience.

So I will stick with Snow Leopard for as long as possible.

Apple has got so big and rich it's become overbearing, patronising and remote. Very sad.

--------------------
Oh. It's Christmas.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1000086 - 27/07/12 09:20 AM
I'm also sticking with Snow Leopard. Everything is working just ticketty-boo, why take risks for an interface that doesn't impress me at all? Looks like both Apple and Microsoft are trying to make their OSes look like mobile phones. Haven't tried getting my 27" iMac in a pocket yet, but suspect I might need a big one.

CC

--------------------
A merry Christmas to all our readers.
Mr Punch's Studio

Bossman

Loc: UK
      #1000128 - 27/07/12 01:41 PM
My studio machine is on Snow Leopard, and I have no intention of upgrading the OS on that machine as everything works and I don't want to upset a working stable system.

But my other machines are running Lion, I quite like Lion and I'm interested in Mountain Lion. I will probably upgrade one of my machines to ML in the near future. Or perhaps install in on an external disk so I can try it first.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Bossman

#1000129 - 27/07/12 01:49 PM
Quote Korff:

The real question is where Apple's OS-naming policy will go from here. Sea Lion, maybe? I'm also not convinced by the progression from lion to mountain lion... Surely a lion, the king of the jungle, could kick a mountain lion's arse any day?

I couldn't think of any other cat names that could come after Lion.. I thought Lion was going to be the last OSX, and then they would release OS11 or something.. with a different naming policy.

I do wonder what will be next.. they can't keep using different Lion names surely.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1000135 - 27/07/12 02:20 PM
It'll be the Weasel family next, starting with the Least Weasel.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #1000137 - 27/07/12 02:41 PM
Surely it'll be a Fruit OS

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #1000154 - 27/07/12 04:19 PM
OS 11.1 Cox's Orange Pippin
OS 11.2 Kingston Black
OS 11.3 Granny Smith
OS 11.4 Mountain Granny Smith

I like it!

CC

--------------------
A merry Christmas to all our readers.
Mr Punch's Studio

fletcher

#1000168 - 27/07/12 05:39 PM
puma? cougar?
cheetah - very fast that

Bossman

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: fletcher]
      #1000170 - 27/07/12 05:48 PM
Quote fletcher:

puma? cougar?
cheetah - very fast that

Cheetah was OSX 10.0
Puma was OSX 10.1

Cougar hasn't been used yet.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
      #1000203 - 27/07/12 11:45 PM
I think Apple is drifting, drifting, drifting away from what is was and will never be what it was. These days are over.
The days of desktops are counted too. Do they really have the choice? Now that everybody imitated Apple, Apple tries to imitate the others now because the competition is so heavy. Looks like Apple is affraid to loose a great part of the mobile market and all the philosophy is drifting toward that new tendancy that everything must be connected with everything, everywhere, all the time. Just compare the Apple tv and the Samsung Smart TV. Apple looks like a dinosaur compared tonthe others in the DLNA world...

Snow Leopard: how long will it remains supported? I'm affraid we won't have the choice to upgrade soon.

Dishpan

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: stratquebec]
      #1000206 - 28/07/12 12:15 AM
> Snow Leopard: how long will it remains supported? I'm affraid we won't have the choice to upgrade soon.

Really don't know what you're afraid of, ML works great (been running it here for ages with zero issues except Rig Kontrol which they've just released a working driver for), gives me BETTER performance than SL did (unlike Lion), boots up fast (<8 seconds here) and never crashes. The many refinements over SL make it far more usable in my opinion.

Thomas.

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: Dishpan]
      #1000239 - 28/07/12 04:28 AM
Quote Dishpan:

> Snow Leopard: how long will it remains supported? I'm affraid we won't have the choice to upgrade soon.

Really don't know what you're afraid of, ML works great (been running it here for ages with zero issues except Rig Kontrol which they've just released a working driver for), gives me BETTER performance than SL did (unlike Lion), boots up fast (<8 seconds here) and never crashes. The many refinements over SL make it far more usable in my opinion.

I also think ML is a big improvement to Lion. The problem that I have is lack of compatible drivers. Lion completed the move to 64 bit and Intel, with limited support for 32 bit, and no support for 'legacy' PPC drivers and apps. Which was right and proper, but caught a large number of manufacturers on the hop. And for some reason, they still haven't caught up.

johnny h

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: stratquebec]
      #1000241 - 28/07/12 05:00 AM
Quote stratquebec:

I think Apple is drifting, drifting, drifting away from what is was and will never be what it was. These days are over.
The days of desktops are counted too. Do they really have the choice? Now that everybody imitated Apple, Apple tries to imitate the others now because the competition is so heavy. Looks like Apple is affraid to loose a great part of the mobile market and all the philosophy is drifting toward that new tendancy that everything must be connected with everything, everywhere, all the time. Just compare the Apple tv and the Samsung Smart TV. Apple looks like a dinosaur compared tonthe others in the DLNA world...

Snow Leopard: how long will it remains supported? I'm affraid we won't have the choice to upgrade soon.

We'll all be killed

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: Dishpan]
      #1000261 - 28/07/12 09:58 AM
Quote Dishpan:

gives me BETTER performance than SL did (unlike Lion)

Better, in what way? How new/old is your machine?

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #1000262 - 28/07/12 09:59 AM
Quote johnny h:

We'll all be killed

Quite political, that.

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
      #1000292 - 28/07/12 12:51 PM
Quote johnny h:

We'll all be killed

What a great cartoon!

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1000359 - 28/07/12 09:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I just don't get the 'OSes being compromised to look like mobile OSes' thing. My desktop looks no different to when I was running SL.

There are enhancements to Mountain Lion/Lion that enable better integration to mobile devices, but frankly my workflow has not changed at all.

I should say that if you're only using your Mac for audio, then there's no particular advantage to upgrading as I can see, but if your Mac is also used for communication and admin, then there are real bonuses to running Mountain Lion, such as notifications and reminders.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Happyandbored

Re: Mountain Lion is out - Warning for Tascam FW1884 users new [Re: Bossman]
      #1000441 - 29/07/12 02:03 PM
This might be useful to a few people out there -

Early 2008 iMac 20":

Being a f***ing idiot, I decided to actually buy Mountain Lion. Being a f***ing idiot, I also did this without backing everything up first. I had however, checked a few forums to make sure everything I needed to work was compatible, so was reasonably confident it was all going to work.

Thanks to Tascam being lazy b****** there are no 64 bit drivers for the FW1884 though it was possible to get it working using the 32 bit kernel in Lion. I had read that this also works in Mountain Lion. Unfortunately, I've since found out that this is only the case in the first Developer Preview - the 32 bit option was removed in later previews and the final release.

Being both evil and cool as f***, I illegally downloaded Mountain Lion DP1 and managed to get the FW1884 working again. Thankfully, the DP1 installer doesn't seem to spot that it has a newer version of Mountain Lion installed, so it successfully downgraded and I was able to reenable the 32 bit Kernel and get the FW1884 working again. Unfortunately, this broke some of the nice juicy goodies such as the voice dictation which were the utterly stupid reason for me upgrading in the first place. There's probably other stuff that doesn't work either, but haven't messed about with it enough.

I've since installed the release version on a second drive so I can still play about with all the shiny new stuff if I want to. iCloud means at least there will still be some continuity between the two installations, but still a bit of a PITA... I'm wondering if perhaps there's a way to take the Kernel from DP1 and hack it into the release version of Mountain Lion, but have wasted enough time mucking about with it for the moment.

Possibly considering selling the FW1884 so open to any offers to buy or swap - there are 64 bit Windows drivers and it is a great unit on Mac as long as you're okay sticking with 32 bit. I could of course just stick with what I've got, but I'm not sure I can quite cope with that horrible empty feeling that comes with using an obsolete operating system after all the years of neurolinguistic programming resulting from all those Steve Jobs' Apple marketing presentations.

Happyandbored

#1000443 - 29/07/12 02:20 PM
Okay, so the stuff above is really, really annoying but technology and progress and all of that...

This is just f***ing stupid though -

The voice dictation works great, I really like it. £14 for good voice dictation is fair enough. But why why why? Why is the speech recognition in the chess app still using that total, total rubbish speech recognition module which never ever ever works?

johnny h

Re: Mountain Lion is out - Warning for Tascam FW1884 users new [Re: Happyandbored]
      #1000476 - 29/07/12 07:11 PM
Quote Happyandbored:

This might be useful to a few people out there -

Early 2008 iMac 20":

Being a f***ing idiot, I decided to actually buy Mountain Lion. Being a f***ing idiot, I also did this without backing everything up first. I had however, checked a few forums to make sure everything I needed to work was compatible, so was reasonably confident it was all going to work.

Thanks to Tascam being lazy b****** there are no 64 bit drivers for the FW1884 though it was possible to get it working using the 32 bit kernel in Lion. I had read that this also works in Mountain Lion. Unfortunately, I've since found out that this is only the case in the first Developer Preview - the 32 bit option was removed in later previews and the final release.

Being both evil and cool as f***, I illegally downloaded Mountain Lion DP1 and managed to get the FW1884 working again. Thankfully, the DP1 installer doesn't seem to spot that it has a newer version of Mountain Lion installed, so it successfully downgraded and I was able to reenable the 32 bit Kernel and get the FW1884 working again. Unfortunately, this broke some of the nice juicy goodies such as the voice dictation which were the utterly stupid reason for me upgrading in the first place. There's probably other stuff that doesn't work either, but haven't messed about with it enough.

I've since installed the release version on a second drive so I can still play about with all the shiny new stuff if I want to. iCloud means at least there will still be some continuity between the two installations, but still a bit of a PITA... I'm wondering if perhaps there's a way to take the Kernel from DP1 and hack it into the release version of Mountain Lion, but have wasted enough time mucking about with it for the moment.

Possibly considering selling the FW1884 so open to any offers to buy or swap - there are 64 bit Windows drivers and it is a great unit on Mac as long as you're okay sticking with 32 bit. I could of course just stick with what I've got, but I'm not sure I can quite cope with that horrible empty feeling that comes with using an obsolete operating system after all the years of neurolinguistic programming resulting from all those Steve Jobs' Apple marketing presentations.

Like I said, if you have a lot of time on your hands ...

Andy__D
posting's fun

Loc: Denver, CO
      #1000732 - 31/07/12 03:25 AM
Quote Bossman:

Quote fletcher:

puma? cougar?
cheetah - very fast that

Cheetah was OSX 10.0
Puma was OSX 10.1

Cougar hasn't been used yet.

Without wanting to be pedantic, Cougar is just another name for a Mountain Lion... But then again, so is Panther (10.3).

Edited by Andy__D (31/07/12 03:29 AM)

C.LYDE

Loc: South Africa
      #1000816 - 31/07/12 11:19 AM
Quote Korff:

DANDE(ie)..Lion...

--------------------
C.LYDE
http://soundcloud.com/c-lyde

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #1000850 - 31/07/12 12:15 PM
Just a word of warning, a friend of mine recently bought a new macbook pro which came with lion, he then updated to ML and not a lot worked so he tried to wipe his hdd and install lion again. Now when he tries to install Lion (the OS is cam with) it gives an error of OS not supported. Looking around online it seems that rolling back really isn't an option.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Bossman

Re: Mountain Lion is out new [Re: Will_m]
      #1000870 - 31/07/12 12:54 PM
Quote Will_m:

Just a word of warning, a friend of mine recently bought a new macbook pro which came with lion, he then updated to ML and not a lot worked so he tried to wipe his hdd and install lion again. Now when he tries to install Lion (the OS is cam with) it gives an error of OS not supported. Looking around online it seems that rolling back really isn't an option.

Did he re-format the drive before trying to install Lion, or did he just run the Lion installer?

After he installed ML, did he also install a firmware update for the MBP? ...I don't know if there was a firmware update, but if there was it might explain why he couldn't install Lion.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *
Thread views: 22951

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media