Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
InRetro

Loc: London
Win 7 Dual boot not working quite right
      #1001991 - 06/08/12 02:18 PM
I've just added a second install of Windows 7 to my laptop, but the new install is currently referencing the original install drive for all documents/program files etc (i.e. everything is referencing c drive instead of d drive where the new install is).

I only set up a new machine every few years, and always forget what I'm supposed to do in the intervening period (plus this is my first win 7 install), so no doubt I've made an obvious mistake somewhere!

My objectives for the dual boot are to have a non-internet, non-changing setup for my music stuff and a totally separate install for work/internet etc.

What I did:

Start with a newly installed win 7 professional 64 bit, single drive with two partitions for system and data. Then:

-> Use Gparted to resize the D drive and create a new partition, formatted ntfs
-> Install win 7 Home premium (different DVD, different product key from my other install)
-> The drive letters got re-assigned (not by me) so that my new install became D drive and the data became E drive (I don't recall this ever happening when I did an XP dual boot)

I get the boot selection screen on startup and both systems work, but i realised as I was setting up the new D install that program files and documents were referencing the C drive, which strikes me will start causing a big mess and also defeat the purpose of keeping my music install offline in the first place. I've got an image to restore the original setup back to how it was, which I assume I'm going to have to do now, but not sure if/how to re-attempt the second installation.

Any obvious reason as to what's not working? Is what I'm trying to do even possible on a single HDD?

Thanks,

Richard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Win 7 Dual boot not working quite right new [Re: InRetro]
      #1001993 - 06/08/12 02:30 PM
Are you sure both boots think the SAME partition is called C:?

Not that I'm at all sure there's much point in this sort of dual-boot these days. Keep an image of a clean installation with all your software, just in case. Have a good backup routine. Then use the computer to the full.

InRetro

Re: Win 7 Dual boot not working quite right new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1002018 - 06/08/12 04:45 PM
Ahah! You're right - common sense failure on my part. I was used to the XP dual boot systems which kept their drive letters irrespective of which you booted into. That's a relief.

Going the image route on a single install seems to make sense, I guess I was hoping that if I had a stable, working setup (which I haven't had once through about 10 different computers over 18 years) it might help reduce the diagnostic variables for when everything inevitably does go wrong, if I was in complete control of OS/driver updates and unconnected.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Win 7 Dual boot not working quite right new [Re: InRetro]
      #1002057 - 06/08/12 11:23 PM
Quote InRetro:

I guess I was hoping that if I had a stable, working setup (which I haven't had once through about 10 different computers over 18 years) it might help reduce the diagnostic variables for when everything inevitably does go wrong,

That really isn't good enough! Are you trying to run a DAW on some piece of c**p from PC world, or overclocking, or something else silly like that? Windows has been very stable since XP on half-way decent hardware!

yofiel

#1005207 - 24/08/12 01:48 PM
It's true, dual boot is much more difficult to set up on Windows 7 than on Windows XP or Windows 2000. Acronis Disk Director lets you set up multiple OS on one machine and manages partitions and drive letters so they all work properly.

InRetro

#1006728 - 03/09/12 10:05 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote InRetro:

I guess I was hoping that if I had a stable, working setup (which I haven't had once through about 10 different computers over 18 years) it might help reduce the diagnostic variables for when everything inevitably does go wrong,

That really isn't good enough! Are you trying to run a DAW on some piece of c**p from PC world, or overclocking, or something else silly like that? Windows has been very stable since XP on half-way decent hardware!

You're right it's not good enough! I've had two self-builds, plus a dell that I tweaked, currently using a custom-built music pc, with soundcards and hardware over the years that totalled thousands, using legit copies of cubase. I've had faulty soundcards & interfaces (Midex 8, Emu 1616, Onyx Blackjack and now my Fast track Ultra has just stopped working) and with the few interfaces I've owned that actually seemed to work I think I was having software/driver issues. In my experience it didn't seem to matter how much you spent or whether the kit was supposed to work together.

So, yes, if i can ever setup a system that works, I'm keen to keep it that way

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2541

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media