Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Hairy Ears

Loc: UK
Komplete Audio 6 / Akai EIE Pro - Windows XP?
      #1011164 - 02/10/12 12:31 PM
I am looking to upgrade to an audio interface with 4 inputs and 4 outputs. The Komplete Audio 6 and the EIE Pro are looking likely candidates but do either of them have drivers for Windows XP? NI's website only mentions Windows 7.

(Exhortations to upgrade to Windows 7 will be ignored as it will probably kill my laptop!)

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Komplete Audio 6 / Akai EIE Pro - Windows XP? new [Re: Hairy Ears]
      #1011225 - 02/10/12 04:01 PM
In NI's case this came up recently for another forum user who failed to get the older XP drivers out of them. I did try hitting up the UK arm, but they directed me to the Germans with a jolly "best of luck" to send me off. You could try hitting them up directly and asking for the legacy drivers, but they don't seem overly keen to allow them back into circulation no matter how hard you try to bribe them. I do know the have been a few revisions to the hardware in the last year, and its entirely possible the new models don't work with the old drivers anymore but that's just a guess on my behalf really.

I've not looked into the Akai side of things but I do know that unit came out long after XP went end of life, so if you don't see it anywhere on the Akai website you may be out of luck on that side too, but once again probably wouldn't hurt to drop them a line.

Hairy Ears

#1011235 - 02/10/12 05:07 PM
That's a bit of a bugger, re. NI.

I downloaded Akai's user guide for the EIE Pro and that does specifically mention Windows XP. Perhaps that's the way to go for me.

Unless there are any well-thought-of interfaces I could pick up second hand from fleaBay. 4 analogue in, 4 analogue out, don't care about digital i/o, preferable USB2. Suggestions welcome!

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Hairy Ears

Re: Komplete Audio 6 / Akai EIE Pro - Windows XP? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1012646 - 09/10/12 07:29 PM
Interestingly I have just been scouting around, still on the hunt for audio interfaces, and came across this on Native Instruments' web site

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates#Komplete_Audio_6

which appears to have XP drivers for Komplete Audio 6?

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Gary_W

#1012647 - 09/10/12 08:05 PM
In my experience with NI kit, it's great if it works. If it does not, you have a heck of a job getting through to a tech support person.

I've had / have Kore 2, Maschine, Guitar rig with the hardware bit and also Komplete. No major issues. I bought the Komplete audio interface and had several weeks of complete frustration. In the end, I returned it and got a Focusrite interface. Raising a ticket with NI support and then waiting days then emailing them again then getting ignored. When they do respond, it is typically to send you a copy of the FAQ which you've already explained that you've read and done. Repeat to fade.

All of the above was on a system that is using the official drivers for Windows 7 - if they don't seem keen to help a very regular customer who is using the 'correct' drivers, I don't fancy your chances if you have any issues on XP as they'll just blame you

It's a real shame as those who have no issues with this interface (which seems to be almost everyone) seem to love it so I'm sure it's good with the above 'if it works for you and if it doesn't you're on your own' caveat.

Hairy Ears

#1012659 - 09/10/12 09:13 PM
To be honest, I think I am just going to stick with my trusty Emu 0202 for now. Hell, it does minimum latency quite nicely in Reaper so I may as well stick with it. I'll upgrade it when the laptop finally turns up its toes.

If I need to process external audio (the primary reason for wanting more outs) then I can manage it with a bit of faffing around.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1012753 - 10/10/12 11:22 AM
Quote Hairy Ears:

Interestingly I have just been scouting around, still on the hunt for audio interfaces, and came across this on Native Instruments' web site

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates#Ko...

which appears to have XP drivers for Komplete Audio 6?

AFAIK offical support for XP was dropped in 3.00 and they don't appear to have anything before that available anywhere...

Happy to be proved wrong!

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Hairy Ears

#1029122 - 17/01/13 06:15 PM
Went with the Akai in the end. Flaky ASIO drivers in Studio One, but fine in Reaper.

Had a play with ASIO4ALL drivers as I prefer to work in Studio One and all is fine using that, indeed I can get much better latency in Studio One than with the native Akai drivers (when they work!)

Other than that, it is so far turning out to be a decent lump of hardware. I'm a sucker for knobs and switches, me

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 4968

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media