Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
tex

Windows 8 PC & DAWS etc
      #1016308 - 30/10/12 06:30 PM
Anyone experienced both flavours of upgrade, brand new or installed over Windows 7 ?
Any Cubase or soundcard issues or is it too soon?

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Andi

Loc: Berkshire, UK
Re: Windows 8 PC & DAWS etc new [Re: tex]
      #1016316 - 30/10/12 07:10 PM
Hey Tex. Update an existing Win 7 OS here. The update failed first time round and worked the second when I made the OS partition bigger.

My RME kit never blinked, Cubase 6.5 likewise once I ran the elicenser with admin priveliges. I had to re-install my iLok after which all the iLok kit was fine except that for some reason Slate Virtual Tape Machine needed a re-install. I have a single SSL Nuende Native plugin with a virtual CodeMeter that is all I need to sort-out (and in fairness it breaks regularly anyway - prime reason I never bought any more of the SSL plugins). Other than that an hour after the successful upgrade had me up and working. It's been steady and stable for me so far (touch wood).

A.

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowl.net Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing at The Dustbowl Audio

tex

#1016362 - 31/10/12 02:02 AM
Cheers for that Andi. Nice info and encouraging. I'm trying to avoid a clean install. Good news is always welcome.

--------------------

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1016417 - 31/10/12 12:51 PM
I am planning to do a clean install - but only because my existing Win7 installation is over 3 years old, and could do with a spring clean anyways, so I'd rather just rebuild from scratch and only re-install/migrate what I really need...

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

robinv

Re: Windows 8 PC & DAWS etc new [Re: feline1]
      #1016521 - 01/11/12 09:34 AM
Quote feline1:

I am planning to do a clean install - but only because my existing Win7 installation is over 3 years old, and could do with a spring clean anyways, so I'd rather just rebuild from scratch and only re-install/migrate what I really need...

I second that - i'm doing a load of Win8 testing at the moment and was surprised by the number of drivers i needed to find manually which makes me think that going the upgrade path would leave you with older drivers knocking about and some difficulty in finding where the problems lay if you encounter any. Fresh install always preferred.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Neil Hester

Loc: London UK
Re: Windows 8 PC & DAWS etc new [Re: robinv]
      #1017262 - 06/11/12 12:27 AM
Hi Robin fancy seeing you here ;0)
I havent been on this forum for a long time but thought i'd stick my head in and see whats going on.
I posted in another thread about my win 8 experience so far here:

Re: Windows 8 - let the touching begin

But to save you going there here's what i said:

Quote:

Well its been a looong time since I've been on this forum but I just thought I would let everyone know that after having great result with the consumer preview (I posted a video about it here: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/7/31/windows-... ) I've had a very smooth upgrade to Win 8 Pro on my old faithful Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 based machine running Pro Tools HD3 Accel 10.3.2 along with many of the most well know plugins.
No major problems that doing all the windows updates and pace interlock/ilok driver updates didn't solve.
Its very fast and efficient I'm very impressed, This is no vista experience it really is good !

--------------------
Man with a plan at www.pro-tools-pc.com
The Windows Guy at www.pro-tools-expert.com

Ojustaboo

#1017301 - 06/11/12 09:15 AM
MS could have made a big rival to the Ipad here (I say that as an Ipad owner).

The Korgforums.com site owner has the Korg Kronos editor running on his Acer Windows tablet, and to quote him

Quote:

With ASIO4ALL, I have the Windows version of Linux Sampler set to stream 64 stereo notes of Poly and my CPU usage is only 35%. Win8 has turned my tablet into a powerful little VSTi HOST.

Hope its OK to link to the thread on here.

Korg Forum Windows 8 tablet thread

tex

#1017668 - 08/11/12 04:06 AM
OK Thanks all. I did take the plunge and installed over Windows7. Result, fine. Just getting used to Win8. It's different. More like a big phone and I haven't found all the settings if there are any.
Cubase works but Wavelab doesn't yet and I haven't worked out why. Wavelab's not an urgent omission yet but any clues anyone? It's either very simple or very hard to fix.

--------------------

Ojustaboo

Re: Windows 8 PC & DAWS etc new [Re: Ojustaboo]
      #1017677 - 08/11/12 09:00 AM
Quote Ojustaboo:

MS could have made a big rival to the Ipad here (I say that as an Ipad owner).

The Korgforums.com site owner has the Korg Kronos editor running on his Acer Windows tablet, and to quote him

Quote:

With ASIO4ALL, I have the Windows version of Linux Sampler set to stream 64 stereo notes of Poly and my CPU usage is only 35%. Win8 has turned my tablet into a powerful little VSTi HOST.

Hope its OK to link to the thread on here.

Korg Forum Windows 8 tablet thread

Sorry, korg forums had a problem and were offline for 24hrs, they seem to have lost a couple of days posts while fixing it, the post I linked to was one of them.

Stephan

#1017715 - 08/11/12 12:53 PM
Wavelab 32 bit works here on Win8 but not 64bit - Steiny are aware of it according to their forum.

upgraded to 8 last week and it seems fine tho I dont use the start screen but go straight to desktop upon booting.

Ojustaboo

#1017758 - 08/11/12 05:38 PM
Pics from the original thread have been reposted on Korg Forum

Windows 8 tablet running Kronos editor

Andi

#1018574 - 14/11/12 02:50 PM
Just to catch-up - still fine here. Only SSL Duende not working (not supported?!?) - everyone else pretty-well fine out of the box. I had a glitch with Waves but that was because I swapped wireless card at the same time and it appears that Waves identifies the machine based on the network card MAC code - please let me put my licenses back on my ILok! Also had to re-authorise all my EZ-Drummers which cost me one of my 4 permitted authorisations and which I will be moaning to Toontrack about when I get a moment to spare.

Performance is pretty well where it was on W7 - I can still run what I could before and I can't run what I couldn't before - not the most scientific test but there you go.

Interestingly Steinberg recommended turning-off the Steinberg Power Scheme for W8 which puzzles me a little.

So far so good and having resisted the urge to install a Start button I have to say that after a couple of weeks of using it I'm struggling to see what all the fuss was about - there are a couple of niggles but overall it works well and I actually use the Start screen far more than I'd have imagined.

Probably worthy of mention - File History backup is nice; I don't understand the target file structure which frustrates me and I'd like to be able to INCLUDE rather than EXCLUDE content, but it appears to work in any case. RecImage on the other hand I just can not get to work - I get to 1% of writing the image and hang with no data written to the target drive. Otherwise all seems to be good.

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowl.net Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing at The Dustbowl Audio

tex

#1018781 - 15/11/12 10:43 PM
Quote:

RecImage on the other hand I just can not get to work - I get to 1% of writing the image and hang with no data written to the target drive. Otherwise all seems to be good.

Could that be blocked by Windows Firewall & Advanced Security?
Thanks Stephan. Looking at the Steinberg forum to check that out someone (you?) points out that actually 64bit Wavelab might not be vital at least for memory purposes so 32 bit might be ok.

--------------------

Andi

#1018891 - 16/11/12 02:27 PM
I did wonder about the security packages and made a note to try with them turned-off - just had a bit of an urge to do some music stuff as a distraction before I got around to it. I'll build myself up-to-it over the weekend.

A.

--------------------

tex

#1023741 - 11/12/12 07:17 PM
Wavelab now has an update patch for Win 8 / 64 bit at the Steinberg Downloads section.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Windows 8 PC & DAWS etc new [Re: robinv]
      #1023826 - 12/12/12 09:30 AM
Quote robinv:

Quote feline1:

I second that - i'm doing a load of Win8 testing at the moment and was surprised by the number of drivers i needed to find manually which makes me think that going the upgrade path would leave you with older drivers knocking about and some difficulty in finding where the problems lay if you encounter any. Fresh install always preferred.

Just to add to the comments above, I've had a customer come into reception complaining that his upgrade from 7 to 8 kept falling over. He has some gamer keyboard that appears to be the cause of all the problems as he can complete the upgrade but as soon as he trys to install the updated driver everything goes to pot rather badly.

However I plugged it into a fresh install of Win8 and it worked first time with Win8 appearing to have the driver built in for it. So it looks like his older drivers have latched themselves in deep and are causing it to fall over each time the new ones get applied.

He's not ammused to say the least having already spent a few hours with MS support prior to coming in to see us. I'd personally would never trust an upgrade install of an OS.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1023895 - 12/12/12 02:42 PM
I noticed that my motherboard vendor did not list many driver downloads for Windows 8 - I initially thought this was cos they hadn't been issued yet, and so was going to install the Win 7 drivers and hope for the best - but NO! it turns out that Win8 has native support for a lot of stuff (e.g. USB3) and so you do not need any extra drivers and should not be trying to shove them in there!

Another nice thing about Windows 8 is that it *finally* has the sort of "package management" for applications that most Unix/Linux implementations have had for about the last two decades (i.e. they come in a bundle, and declare what bits and pieces they contain, so the OS can validate they are present and correct). It is now very unlikely that installing an program will screw your computer up. (This only applies to "Windows 8" apps from the Windows store, however - you can still install messy old "desktop" apps for old x86 windows versions)

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 6519

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media