Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ElectronicMusicMaker

Mystery problem
      #1019298 - 19/11/12 03:01 PM
Hi there - I'm not expecting a solution from this post, just curious as to your opinions on what might have happened or if you've experienced the like before.

I have a laptop, designed and built for audio purposes, that I use to perform live with. One gig it just wouldn't work - first time I turned it on it seemed OK until I loaded my Live set - it thought about it for long time then switched itself off without loading the set. Each subsequent attempt to start it up failed as it switched itself off a few seconds after Windows was loaded. It probably didn't stay on longer than 30 seconds any time. It wouldn't restart normally, and wouldn't / couldn't identify or fix any errors that had possibly occurred.

When I got home the next day, I turned it on expecting to have to do some major recovery work, but after explaining windows was going to search for and fix any errors, it was fine. Since then I have had no problems.

I wonder if it stemmed from the Live file I tried to open. I had been using 'save as' to save a series of different sets for different gigs and wonder whether after doing this multiple times I had confused things regarding audio file location etc. Ever since I have been very careful to 'collect all and save' and make sure all files etc are in the appropriate project folder where they need to be.

All just speculation - it is hard to identify the problem as it hadn't happened before or since!

Any thoughts to add to my amateur speculation?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
robinv

Re: Mystery problem new [Re: ElectronicMusicMaker]
      #1019299 - 19/11/12 03:12 PM
Consider temperatures - it sounds like the behaviour you'd see if it was overheating. Maybe the vents on the laptop were blocked - did you have it on a soft chair or resting on anything other than a hard surface? They can overheat very quick - just a thought.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

ElectronicMusicMaker

Re: Mystery problem new [Re: robinv]
      #1019304 - 19/11/12 03:25 PM
I thought that too, it wasn't on a soft surface, or blocked or vents covered - but I did point a desk fan it at it the next day just in case. It was on a music stand not flat, and not massively steep, but still at an angle... No idea. Like I said, never happened again, in fact has been rock solid several times since, for recording and performing.

Sabbs

Loc: Dubai UAE
Re: Mystery problem new [Re: ElectronicMusicMaker]
      #1019309 - 19/11/12 03:37 PM
Have a look in the system and security logs. There may be some clue in there.

If the entry in the eventlog is cryptic look up the error ID on the internet it may help work out what went on.

Thanks

--------------------
Sabbs

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1597

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media