Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Phunky

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Emu 1820M ADAT quality?
      #1021220 - 28/11/12 03:46 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my Behringer ADA8000 with a Focusrite Octopre Mk2, and I was wondering whether the ADAT connection on my EMU1820M or ADAT connections in general have any influence on the the sound if the pipeline is made properly?

Cheers

--------------------
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
Re: Emu 1820M ADAT quality? new [Re: Phunky]
      #1021223 - 28/11/12 04:25 PM
Nope, none at all! It's just shuttling digital audio around and doesn't have any effect on quality (that's determined by the converters in your Focusrite/Behringer/what-have-you, and whatever analogue stuff there is before them).

Cheers!

Chris

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1021309 - 29/11/12 12:50 AM
Agreed - bits are bits, and as long as the final D/A converter removes any clock jitter before trotting them all out again in analogue form you won't hear any difference

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Phunky

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
      #1021628 - 30/11/12 06:41 PM
Thanks. That clears it up for me.
I've heard good things about the Focusrite preamps but less so concerning their drivers, so adding an Octopre seems like the perfect way to upgrade a system that's otherwise working perfect for me, with as little hassle as possible.

Cheers

--------------------
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Goddard

#1021676 - 01/12/12 02:42 AM
There are some interfaces which claim lower ADAT clocking jitter, but I've used a lot of ADAT gear and never had problems in that respect, only with some dodgy optical leads causing problems.

Just need to make sure about setting the correct clock rate at both ends and the clocking master/slave so things sync up correctly. I assume you still plan to use your ADA8000 for D-A duty on the 1820M's ADAT out, so be mindful about that and about S/PDIF settings too.

IIRC, the 1820M supports 192 kHz on ADAT, although IIRC the Octopre is limited to 96 kHz. Still, that would allow you to record 4 channels at 96 (or 88.2).

If possible, try to listen to an Octopre before you decide. And if you only want to record at 44.1/48 (or use any outboard processors), you might give a listen to a Presonus Digimax also, some nice pre's in there and some models offered inserts. M-Audio also offered some decent 8-channel pre's with ADAT out. Lots of options out there (and ADAT patchbays too, so one can even indulge ).

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Emu 1820M ADAT quality? new [Re: Goddard]
      #1021695 - 01/12/12 10:10 AM
Quote Goddard:

There are some interfaces which claim lower ADAT clocking jitter

The inevitable 'interface jitter' can have absolutely no affect on the transferred digital audio data whatsoever. Jitter only becomes relevant at the conversion between the analogue and digital domains, and only then if an embedded clock is being extracted and used. Transferring data via ADAT, AES3, S/PDIF or virtually any other form of digital equipment interface is a bit-perfect process.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2641

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media