Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
The Silent Coup

64bit multitrack recording software
      #1021242 - 28/11/12 06:05 PM
Hello all,

I would like to know what software there is that can accept multiple inputs (up to 24 of them, from a MOTU 24io) and that also runs at 64bit. This would only really be used as a simple multitrack recorder and editor, but one that makes use of my 12gb RAM (PC) to ensure on drop outs etc when recording at 24/96.

I know pretty much all modern DAWs like Reaper etc. can run at 64bit, but i use Cubase 3 SX (mainly for midi and audio sequencing) and am very happy using this for the time being, despite it only using 4gb RAM max. However, due to this limitation, it is susceptible to misbehaving when recording multiple channels at high sample rates, hence the need for a dedicated multitracker. I do accept that i should upgrade to Cubase 5 or 6 to make use of their 64bit packages, but i cant be bothered with the rigmarole of J-bridging all the plugins etc at the moment (poor excuse i know!). Unless, is it possible to have the two running concurrently (32 and 64bit)?

I have my eye on Adobe Audition 6, since ive used the program since its' Cool Edit Pro 1 incarnation, but am keen on alternatives.

Any suggestions will be most welcome

Thanks

Chris

--------------------
The Silent Coup's Soundcloud page

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: 64bit multitrack recording software new [Re: The Silent Coup]
      #1021250 - 28/11/12 06:44 PM
I've recently begun running 64-bit Cubase and it handles all my 32-bit plug-ins with no problems at all now - I haven't done anything special. That's not a guarantee, but it shows that JBridge is probably not the 'must have' it once was.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

tex

#1021280 - 28/11/12 09:39 PM
You'd have to make your mind up quick as Cubase 7 is out on the 5th so if you can afford the upgrade to Cubase 6/6.5 you get a grace period deal on Cubase 7. Have a look at the mixer features on YouTube to see if you like where it's gone.
There are vids here as well:
http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=461&L=1 and you can see pricing.

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Johnsy

#1021297 - 28/11/12 10:54 PM
What makes you think this is a RAM issue?

Scramble

Re: 64bit multitrack recording software new [Re: Johnsy]
      #1021303 - 28/11/12 11:32 PM
Yeah, may not be a RAM issue, I often recorded over 20 tracks at once using Cubase 3 with 4Gb RAM.

What's your CPU?

Johnsy

Re: 64bit multitrack recording software new [Re: Scramble]
      #1021306 - 29/11/12 12:25 AM
It almost certainly isn't a RAM issue. Here, in no particular order, are just a few of the usual suspects to consider:

- How full/fragmented is your hard disk?

- What audio driver are you using, and to what buffer size is it set?

- Is your 24i/o connected via PCI or PCIe? If the former, what else is on the bus?

- Is your processor scheduling set to 'Programs' or 'Background services?'

Also, you may want to try running this:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

As Scramble so rightly points out, more detail about your system can only help: CPU? Mobo? OS?

The Silent Coup

#1021421 - 29/11/12 05:21 PM
Thanks chaps (chapesses?)

Plenty of useful info here.

@Johnsy - CPU = AMD Athlon III(6 core?) - around 3ghz or so; Mobo = Asus something; Windows 7 OS;
HD is solid state drive (cant remember speeed), relatively clear and defragmented regularly; audio drivers are up-to-date; 24io is connected via PCIe (but the old version?). Im afraid PC is in the studio near Reading and im here typing in London and i cant remember these things off the top of my head.

I have never heard of "program" or "background services" for scheduling, but will look into it. I presume program is the preferred option for audio?

I should state that i was having a lot of issues with regards running the 24io correctly and after some major system overhauls, things are working a lot better although i havent had the opportunity to put it through its paces again yet.

If, as Elf says, all the 32bit plugins work effectively in a 64bit environment, then i think i will look into upgrading to Cubase 6 or 7. However, i am a great fan of Cooledit/Audition so was keen on upgrading that too, but just wanted to know what else was out there.

Thanks all

Chris

--------------------
The Silent Coup's Soundcloud page

Johnsy

#1021465 - 29/11/12 11:10 PM
Quote The Silent Coup:

HD is solid state drive (cant remember speeed), relatively clear and defragmented regularly

Don't, whatever you do, defragment an SSD! You're just burning through write cycles for no benefit (the reason for defragging a hdd is to maintain performance by consolidating related data in one place, thereby stopping the read/write heads having to jump around all over the place. This simply doesn't apply to SSD's.)

Quote The Silent Coup:

I have never heard of "program" or "background services" for scheduling, but will look into it. I presume program is the preferred option for audio?

Actually, "Background services" is the usual recommendation, the reason being that your audio driver is a background service. Having said this, many people find it makes no difference, whilst some have apparently even found it counterproductive.

Quote The Silent Coup:

Im afraid PC is in the studio near Reading and im here typing in London and i cant remember these things off the top of my head.

Ah - probably best to post again when you're at the machine in question, if you're still having problems. In the meantime, it's well worth reading any of the articles on the subject of OS optimization that Martin Walker has written over the years.

Goddard

#1021467 - 29/11/12 11:18 PM
Quote Johnsy:

Also, you may want to try running this:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I'd recommend Resplendence's free LatencyMon, more info and options available:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3261

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media