Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
twotoedsloth

Power Supply Advice
      #1021638 - 30/11/12 07:24 PM
I am going to try to upgrade my power supply to see if that is what is causing the reboots.

Any advice on power supplies to purchase or avoid? I'm currently using a 500 watt Antec.

My computer is a dual socket G34 AMD Opteron "Magny Cours" 2x8 CPU (total of 16 cores) at 2gHz.

PCI/PCIe cards are: nVidia 560ti (1gb RAM), SIIG (TI chipset) firewire card, Creative X-Fi titanium sound card, Echoaudio MIA midi sound card, VIA 5 port USB 2.0 card.

I have two 2 terabyte 7200 RPM hard drives in RAID 1, one is a Seagate the other is a WD.

Thanks kind folks,

Peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
twotoedsloth

Re: Power Supply Advice new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #1021654 - 30/11/12 09:14 PM
Really? Nobody at all?

il Padrino

#1021657 - 30/11/12 09:39 PM
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I'd use the above to check what kind of power you're likely to need, and then go for one of these:

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_560-660-760-850.htm

I've the 560W version. It's a modular PSU, and with the following in my PC:

AMD Phenom II x 6 CPU
4 x 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks
3 x Crucial M4 256GB SSDs
1 x Samsung F3 1TB hard disk
1 x ATI HD 3450 dual dvi gfx
1 x Roland Octacapture USB 2.0 soundcard
1 x system fan, silent model.
1 x OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler.

The fan works 80% of the time, if not more, in silent mode. See the link in the above for a description.

Others recommend other manufacturers, that are great PSUs also. For me, this the best I've used on my own and other builds.

Edited by il Padrino (30/11/12 09:40 PM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1022275 - 04/12/12 12:24 PM
Do you know the model number of the board?

You might need 2 X 8 pins for the board which are not standard on all PSUs, but i'm not sure without knowing what that board is.

I'd also point towards Seasonic, Enermax and the current generation of BeQuiets as the places to start looking for a new PSU... that said the Antecs ain't bad if you've been happy enough with the last one.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

twotoedsloth

Re: Power Supply Advice new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1022355 - 04/12/12 06:20 PM
Thanks for your response,

I bought a Corsair 850 watt power supply, unfortunately, this didn't solve my problem of the computer spontaneously rebooting if I plug in any USB device. I do have a workaround, if I plug in the USB device(s) I need before powering up the computer everything works fine.

Any idea what might be causing this? Should I try to get a new dual socket G34 motherboard?

My current motherboard is an Asus KGPE-D16.

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by twotoedsloth (04/12/12 07:08 PM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1022439 - 05/12/12 09:47 AM
It sounds like the case is live and your causing it to short out when you plug in a usb connector.

However that doesn't make much sense as you only tend to see that if someone builds it incorrectly and going off the components, this doesn't exactly sound like a new build.

Does this happen on all the USB ports or just the front ones?

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

twotoedsloth

Re: Power Supply Advice new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1022545 - 05/12/12 06:50 PM
You're correct, it is not a new build. It's about a year and half old, and the spontaneous reboots just started a couple of weeks ago. And yes, it does happen when using the rear USB ports both on directly on the motherboard and the breakout cable (plugs into the motherboard and uses a rear card slot, but is not plugged into the PIKE slot that uses that slot).

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1022655 - 06/12/12 09:38 AM
Sounds odd for it to just start occuring but in keeping with my previous thoughts if something was shorting against the case but not unheard of. I saw a few case a few months ago where the on button had a frayed connector and it made the whole case live enough that the USB problem your seeing was happening.

Have you been inside to change or clean anything around the time period when it started? That might give us somewhere to start at.

What I'd do at this point but it's not the quickest test is lift the motherboard out and place it on a bench with a psu hooked up (your old one will do) hook up the bare basic keyboard/mouse/video and a boot drive, head into windows and see if you can replicate the resetting issue with it on the bench. That at least would rule in/out something being live case wise.

The only other place I'd look really for these symptoms would be the psu but you've already taken care of that.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

twotoedsloth

#1023053 - 07/12/12 04:51 PM
Thanks so much for your input on this.

This is probably stupid, but yes, I did put a USB 2.0 PCIe card in a few weeks ago when my USB hub stopped working properly. I thought that an internal card would be more stable than a hub. I'll take it out again... actually I should probably take out all of the cards except video (duh) and see if that solves it.

Again, my thanks.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3195

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media