Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
mdent

Narrowing down current new build components
      #1021653 - 30/11/12 08:57 PM

I have been through multiple forums regarding DAW builds in an effort to gather a list of components. Many MOBOs older than 3 or 4 months are no longer available. My last build was 6 years ago so components have changed drastically. There are some comments that are confusing regarding do’s and don’ts. If someone can shed some light, it would be appreciated.
I have been using Protools LE 002 rack since I started recording, but I am considering moving to CUBASE 7 when it’s available. I want to dabble with surround sound which is very costly in PT. I do not do commercial work anymore so having compatibility with other studios is really not an issue. Recording is now my hobby. I'm trying to keep my PC build below $1000.
Questions:
1. Are there some common issues with socket 1155 builds that suggest only going with socket 2011 builds these days?
2. Do certain MOBO’s work better with 1155 socket or 2011?
3. Is an i5 build more stable than an i7 build?
4. Are MOBO’s in UD5 or UD7 series a problem?
5. Can someone suggest a mid-level soundcard?
6. What interfaces work well/stable with Cubase 6.5 or upcoming 7 ($300-$500) range?

Input is appreciated.

mick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Narrowing down current new build components new [Re: mdent]
      #1022271 - 04/12/12 12:13 PM
You may need to refine some of these questions!

Quote mdent:

1. Are there some common issues with socket 1155 builds that suggest only going with socket 2011 builds these days?

Don't think I've come across any platform that doesn't have its own nuances and that includes both of those platforms.

Quote mdent:

2. Do certain MOBO’s work better with 1155 socket or 2011?

Mobo's are either 1155 or 2011. If they both have the same model number extension (i.e. both have UD5 at the end) then rest assured the is far, far more difference between them than a simple socket size change.

Quote mdent:

3. Is an i5 build more stable than an i7 build?

On 1155 you can fit both i5 and i7 chips. Which you choose to go with makes no difference to stability.

Quote mdent:

4. Are MOBO’s in UD5 or UD7 series a problem?

Some people (myself included) used to swear by them althrough I found enough bugbares that I moved away from them completely. I know a lot of people still sucessfully using them however.

Quote:

5. Can someone suggest a mid-level soundcard?

Define mid-level! I call mid level £500 - £1000 so probably worth making sure we're working to the same price point here...

Quote:

6. What interfaces work well/stable with Cubase 6.5 or upcoming 7 ($300-$500) range?

What I/O do you need? USB/firewire/pcie?

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

mdent

Re: Narrowing down current new build components new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1022373 - 04/12/12 08:35 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback. I now see what you mean regarding narrowing down my questions. The more questions I ask, the more I realize what I don't know.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1022466 - 05/12/12 12:13 PM
I suspect that's the same for all of us, however much we know

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Goddard

Re: Narrowing down current new build components new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1022484 - 05/12/12 01:58 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

I suspect that's the same for all of us, however much we know

Martin

Yep. Welcome to my world!

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1022490 - 05/12/12 02:35 PM
Quote mdent:

Thanks so much for the feedback. I now see what you mean regarding narrowing down my questions. The more questions I ask, the more I realize what I don't know.

That's not a problem, its just leaving us a lot of scope to get the answers wrong. Read up a bit where you can and try and ask us questions when you get stuck.

Answering - "What is the best sound interface" is a really hard one without some sort of example of how it would be used as the are many great interfaces at different price points that are suitable for different uses.

Answering - "What is the best sound interface for recording a band live with a laptop using firewire" or "What interface would be most cost effective for a none recording electronic artist" are both fairly easy to give solid answers too.

My stock answer for "what is the best interface" is probably the RME UFX as it'll tick most boxes both live and in the studio and is rock solid... but then I imagine its a bit overkill for most people reading this thread!

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2951

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media