Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
lingyai

Scan Computers (UK), we’re off to a poor start
      #1023218 - 08/12/12 05:51 PM

I wanted to receive a new music laptop in time for Xmas – specifically, for use on a Xmas trip planned to start Dec 21.

Mid-November, I spoke with an engineer, Pete, at Scan Computers International Ltd (UK) about the spec. Very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly.

Since I started dealing with the business folks at Scan, however, things have soured.

Day 0 (Nov 22) : ordered PC from Scan by phone; payment accepted; was told on phone delivery estimated on Day 7; no mention made that any components were out of stock

Day 1: as no documentation of the spec or sale had arrived, I had to call and remind them to send this. Eventually received that day, as well as email a) confirming estimated delivery date of Day 7, and b) stating that if this date could not be met, I’d be contacted

Day 7: no delivery, no contact

Day 11: still no delivery or contact. I called and was told the delay was due to the CPU being out of stock. Was told to expect delivery by Day 15.

Day 15: no delivery, no contact. I called. Twice, after giving my order #, there was an awkward silence, and I was transferred to someone else. The third person told me the CPU still wasn’t in stock. Was told to possibly expect delivery by Day 29 (Dec 21), though no guarantees.

If an item is out of stock, customers should be told this at the outset, before payment is made.

The communication failures, my having to chase them, and delivery date morphing from Day 7 to Day 29 – maybe -- are very uncool.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Scan Computers (UK), we’re off to a poor start new [Re: lingyai]
      #1023224 - 08/12/12 07:10 PM
I can appreciate your frustration. Pete is a frequent contributor to this forum and hopefully he will be able to shed some light on what has happened here...

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

lingyai

#1023422 - 10/12/12 10:33 AM
Upate: Pete has contacted me and is on the case. I feel slightly bad for him, as he's apologising for his colleagues' error.

They could use a few more like him...

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1023435 - 10/12/12 12:00 PM
I had a not dissimilar experience when buying my PC from Scan in 2010...
The technical quality is brilliant, but the adherence to dates was a little tenuous...

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Exalted Wombat

#1023443 - 10/12/12 12:28 PM
Quote lingyai:

Upate: Pete has contacted me and is on the case. I feel slightly bad for him, as he's apologising for his colleagues' error.

They could use a few more like him...

Agreed, Peter gives excellent service.

I'll add my story. I've always built my own computers. I treated myself to a Scan machine last year. Communication was not good. I had a deadline (I wanted to settle in on a new machine before starting a big project) and messages from me during the (delayed) construction stage were overlooked.

It's a nicely-made computer. But it's overclocked by design, and is the only PC I have owned since the days of Windows 98 that wasn't absolutely stable. I suspect these two facts are related. Peter has been very helpful in suggesting less aggressive settings, and the system now crashes only rarely. Which isn't QUITE good enough, as Sod's Law guarantees those rare occasions are usually when a client is watching :-)

With hindsight, I feel there was little added value from getting Scan to put this computer together. I should have saved the money and built it myself. Sorry, Peter. But I'd still recommend Scan to anyone who wasn't competent to build their own computer, when the alternative is some heap from PC World.

tex

#1023454 - 10/12/12 01:04 PM
Scan, though pretty excellent mostly but their complaints, returns and reorder post seems to be manned by someone who goes in once a week and sets an answering autobot to give out drivel to anyone atimorous enough to complain or reorder or return goods.
I find a (real) letter to the MD pretty effective.

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Scan Computers (UK), we’re off to a poor start new [Re: tex]
      #1023456 - 10/12/12 01:11 PM
I agree, it's enough to make anyone atimorous :-)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1023644 - 11/12/12 11:26 AM
Quote lingyai:

Already gone into this heavily over on KVR but the crux is our supplier has been waiting on a run of mobile chips from Intel which got delayed, but have now shipped to us from euroland. I've talked to purchasing about not keeping sales up to date and build for not keeping lingyai in the loop in this regard.

None of it is an acceptable excuse, its just what has transpired and I'm furious for it not being kept on top of internally. All I can do at this point is try and push it through as quickly as we can from this point in.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

OneWorld

#1023665 - 11/12/12 12:34 PM
In some instances, an unhappy customer can enhance a company's reputation by seeing how the company responds to the complaint, and it seems in this case, the employee of the company, Pete in this case, has shown the case has been prioritised. Some other companies will just fob you off with any old tosh, hoping the customer gets to the point where they simply give up and they put it all down to experience

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3366

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media