Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
A Windows 8 gotcha...
      #1023323 - 09/12/12 05:54 PM
Well I am here at Feline 8, typing this to you on Window 8 Pro 64bit

Just one 'gotcha' incident which occurred during the installation which I'd like to share:

I was already running Windows 7, and so purchased an upgrade license (and DVD install media) for Windows 8.

With other vendor's "upgrade licenses" (e.g. Adobe, and Microsoft Office in the past), I have usually found this means you can still do a 'clean install', all that happens is that at the "please type in your product key' stage, you may also be asked to enter the key and/or installation media for the software you're upgrading from.

Not so for Windows 8!

You literally do have to be booted up into Windows 7, pop the Win8 DVD in your drive and click on Setup.exe, and install from there, otherwise it won't let you authorize it.

However fear not, because you can still do a "clean" install, because you just select the option for "don't keep any old files", and it still does a clean window 8 install (which just a few old Win7 files dumped in a "windows.old" folder on C:\)

Discovering this mid-install did rather scupper my plans to put Windows 8 on a brand new bigger size SSD drive as part of the upgrade, though! Because it will only let you install onto the same C:\ drive as your existing Windows 7.

So, I basically had to install my new SSD drive, then do a new Windows 7 installation onto that, and then run the Windows 8 install from inside it. Slightly convoluted.

Anyways, it worked in the end.
Once I've found out how to turn all the annoying crap off I'm sure I'll be loving it

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: feline1]
      #1023333 - 09/12/12 06:36 PM
I think if you boot from the installation media - in your case the DVD - you can install where you like.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1023341 - 09/12/12 06:56 PM
Is this one of the 25 quid upgrade deals? I'm tempted to buy a couple of those and hold them back for a month or two.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

feline1

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1023354 - 09/12/12 07:53 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

I think if you boot from the installation media - in your case the DVD - you can install where you like.

This is indeed what I thought, and did - and it let me install, and I pottered around for about an hour tweaking things, then tried to activate online - and got ticked off my an implacable error code telling me DUH your license key only lets you run setup.exe from within an existing Windows 7, now go and do it all over again.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

feline1

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: The Elf]
      #1023355 - 09/12/12 07:54 PM
Quote The Elf:

Is this one of the 25 quid upgrade deals? I'm tempted to buy a couple of those and hold them back for a month or two.

I bought it on Amazon. It was £38 or summat. It's a boxed Microsoft DVD with a license key on a little card.

--------------------

The Elf

#1023366 - 09/12/12 08:47 PM
Quote feline1:

Quote The Elf:

I bought it on Amazon. It was £38 or summat. It's a boxed Microsoft DVD with a license key on a little card.

Windows 8 25 pounds

Not a physical product, but I doubt it makes any difference?

--------------------

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
      #1023381 - 10/12/12 12:46 AM

The DVD is £49.99 from microsoft.

It's not clear to me if the download is an ISO image or gives you the ability to cut to DVD

I am considering upgrading my wife's VISTA 32 bit laptop, but I guess I'll have to try and find out if the any drivers are supported on W8 first.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

Madman_Greg

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: Madman_Greg]
      #1023383 - 10/12/12 12:53 AM

I'll answer my own question

When you run Upgrade Assistant, it scans your apps and connected devices, and provides a compatibility report about the products that we know will or won't work in Windows 8. If you have a product that worked in Windows 7, then most likely, it will work in Windows 8, too. But there might be apps or devices on your PC that we have no info for.

The compatibility info we provide is based on these sources:

•Independent software and hardware vendors test and officially certify some apps and devices forWindows 8.

•Microsoft tests the most popular apps and devices on the market, and provides compatibility info based on this testing.

•If we didn't test a product on Windows 8, we might base its compatibility status on whether it worked on Windows 7.

•We also base some compatibility info on reports from the manufacturer. This info hasn't been tested or confirmed by Microsoft.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

robinv

#1023408 - 10/12/12 09:41 AM
Quote feline1:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

This is indeed what I thought, and did - and it let me install, and I pottered around for about an hour tweaking things, then tried to activate online - and got ticked off my an implacable error code telling me DUH your license key only lets you run setup.exe from within an existing Windows 7, now go and do it all over again.

That's odd - i've done a Win 8 upgrade clean install. I had to jump through some hoops to get the download - running the advisor etc - but in the end i got the download, burnt as a boot disk and installed on a new machine with the product key - no issues at all. Hmmm.... not sure what i did different to you, but i was surprised that the install didn't ask me for anything, like a windows 7 disk or key - it just installed normally. Maybe they've tightened this up or something - dunno.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

feline1

#1023410 - 10/12/12 09:44 AM
well the behaviour is tied to the license key string you've bought.
The one I'd bought only allowed you to upgrade an existing Win7 installation (even though it lets you wipe it and install a completely clean win8 - but you have to launch it from inside the win7!)

--------------------

The Elf

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: robinv]
      #1023411 - 10/12/12 09:46 AM
Quote robinv:

i got the download, burnt as a boot disk and installed on a new machine with the product key

Can you please expand on this? You pay your 25 quid, download the (exe?) file, then what? How did you create the boot disc?

--------------------

DGL.

#1023418 - 10/12/12 10:24 AM
You don't, it just installs itself (or if you want to do it later just click on a link on the desktop). No burning to disc (and in my experience, no option either!).
Well that's how it's worked on my 2 XP boxes I've upgraded.

The Elf

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: DGL.]
      #1023420 - 10/12/12 10:28 AM
That's why I'm curious about this - I thought the upgrade download would only work in situ. If it will create a boot/installation disk then that would be a huge advantage.

--------------------

Magic Matt

#1023474 - 10/12/12 02:47 PM
With the Windows 8 Upgrade, then when you get to the point where you "Install Windows 8" you pick the option to "Install by creating media" and then it makes you an ISO file you can then use to make a bootable install DVD.

You can then boot up and do whatever you would normally do - obviously at this point, ideal opportunity to pop out your Windows 7 (or whatever) drive and pop in your new SSD, then turn on the machine and boot the newly created DVD.

Job done!

Edited by Magic Matt (10/12/12 02:49 PM)

The Elf

Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: Magic Matt]
      #1023479 - 10/12/12 03:15 PM
Brilliant! OK, I'm going to purchase a couple of licenses in the early new year, wait for a few fix releases and upgrade the office machine first!

Thanks for the info guys!

--------------------

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #1023481 - 10/12/12 03:24 PM
I got the £25 deal the day it came out and it is sitting on my desk burned to two dvds. one as a safety spare.
FWIW I tried it out on spare machine and stopped it short of an actual install (I too am sitting on it for a month at least, Elf) but on the face of it I didnt need a previous Win anything install on the target disk.

One way round this of course is to have an XP install on the new disk and "upgrade"/clean install from that.

I have yet to buy a new boot hard drive - waiting for Xmas sale prices (I hope)

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

robinv

#1023487 - 10/12/12 03:48 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote robinv:

i got the download, burnt as a boot disk and installed on a new machine with the product key

Can you please expand on this? You pay your 25 quid, download the (exe?) file, then what? How did you create the boot disc?

What magic matt said

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Jez (mahoobley)
monkey

Loc: East Midlands
      #1023498 - 10/12/12 04:50 PM
Quote feline1:

Well I am here at Feline 8, typing this to you on Window 8 Pro 64bit

Just one 'gotcha' incident which occurred during the installation which I'd like to share:

I was already running Windows 7, and so purchased an upgrade license (and DVD install media) for Windows 8.

With other vendor's "upgrade licenses" (e.g. Adobe, and Microsoft Office in the past), I have usually found this means you can still do a 'clean install', all that happens is that at the "please type in your product key' stage, you may also be asked to enter the key and/or installation media for the software you're upgrading from.

Not so for Windows 8!

You literally do have to be booted up into Windows 7, pop the Win8 DVD in your drive and click on Setup.exe, and install from there, otherwise it won't let you authorize it.

However fear not, because you can still do a "clean" install, because you just select the option for "don't keep any old files", and it still does a clean window 8 install (which just a few old Win7 files dumped in a "windows.old" folder on C:\)

Discovering this mid-install did rather scupper my plans to put Windows 8 on a brand new bigger size SSD drive as part of the upgrade, though! Because it will only let you install onto the same C:\ drive as your existing Windows 7.

So, I basically had to install my new SSD drive, then do a new Windows 7 installation onto that, and then run the Windows 8 install from inside it. Slightly convoluted.

Anyways, it worked in the end.
Once I've found out how to turn all the annoying crap off I'm sure I'll be loving it

It was the same with the Windows 7 upgrade version, too. That caught me out.

When I upgraded from 2000 to XP I bought the upgrade version, and it just asked me to insert the install cd for 2000 at some point during the install, verified it, then carried on.

Windows 7 upgrade install needed to be run from within XP.

So to do a clean install I had to install XP, verify 2000, THEN install 7.

If I upgrade to 8 to do a clean install I'd have to install XP, verify 2000, then install 7, and then install 8!

I think I'll buy the full version

--------------------
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk

Madman_Greg

#1023545 - 10/12/12 08:58 PM

May be Mr Walker can create a W8 upgrade experience thread as a sticky and people can put their comments /experiences in there. Then unstickly in say Feb of next year whan all the fuss is over.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

anniedog

Loc: Alberta
Re: A Windows 8 gotcha... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1023550 - 10/12/12 09:29 PM
Hope this helps anyone thinking of moving up to windows 8 64bit Also listed my my studio equipment and Software in case anyone wants an opinion before they buy same.
Background
I had a major melt down of my Win 7 64 system/ Program drive (Sata 2) . I decided to add a new SSHD a install windows 8 pro 64bit. I had no problems with the clean install. In fact I was able to get Extra hard ware
My UAD quad card to work by first putting in the card and installing the software (latest 64bit up Date)
Presonus
Studio Live 24.4.2 as an interface
Avalon
sp37 Pre
AKG
414 XL11s
Miktec
CR7s
CV4s
Shure
Beta 58s
SM %7s
Head Phones
AKG K71 MKll Head phones
Head Phone AMP
ART Pro 8 Head Phone Amps
Drums
Roland TD 30s V drums
Keyboards
Roland RD700NX E Piano

Software
Steinberg
Cubase 7 64 bit
Wavelab 7 64bit with win 8 update
Guitar player 5 pro
NI
Komplete 4
Abbey Road Drums 80, modern, vintage
classic organs
presosus
Capture
Virtual Studio Live
Studio one 2.5 Pro
cakewalk
Sonar X2 (would not recommend)
Protools 10 (would not recommend)

Tweaks i did to Windows 8
I did however get rid of most of the windows on the the start screen, set to run for back ground services, disabled windows firewall , windows update and adjusted power scheme. I'm using a Gigabyte X79-UD5 Mother board, Bios 13f beta services, disabled windows firewall , windows update and adjusted power scheme. I'm using a Gigabyte X79-UD5 Mother board, Bios 13f beta
System
Intel socket LGA 2011 i7 PCU core virtual 12 core X79 chip set 32 GB of ADK brand DDR3 Ram 1600m Bios 13f beta . I tweaked the mother board a little to run in extreme mode , did not overclock, shut off unessential services (the manual on line for the board is excellent. I run 1 Intel 500 series 248gig SSHD for windows/programs and system. I intel 300 series 138b GB SSHD foe my recording drive Sert in Sata 3 ports. I use 2 x 3 TB Sata drives for back up and other media 1 raptor for Samples. I also gave 1 CD/ DVD drive and 1 BR writer/reader Drive. I use a wirles US BAasus stick when I need to access the internet.
Impressions
So Far So good this setup seems to be more stable for me then the previous win with windows 7 64 pro. I had been using an RME Fireface UFX which I loved but I really wanted more inputs and unfortunately this is hard to do with this device but it has amazing sound .Iwant to check out the new Behringer X32 For the future possible expansion in interface methods.

Edited by anniedog (10/12/12 09:32 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 5080

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media