Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Phunky

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
PC crash after CPU upgrade
      #1024949 - 18/12/12 07:12 PM
After swapping a Athlon X2 4600(dualcore) for a Phenom 1 9750(quadcore, 95w) in my PC(Asrock Alivesata2-glan) it has suddenly started to crash, especially when streaming video content, but also on a few other occasions. Sometimes it just hangs, and sometimes the screen goes black(doesn't reboot).

Even though the CPU isn't listed on the official support page, I've managed to get a beta BIOS(2.61a) from Asrock. According to them my CPU is tested with the beta and is supposed to work.

Both device and task manager shows 4 cores. SisoftSandra reports a temperature of 30 celsius.

I've updated the videocard drivers as well as flash.

When I booted up the machine for the first time after the swap XP(SP3) was installing some new drivers(PC-host?).

Even before swapping CPUs a had strange problem. Everytime before starting up the PC I have to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard for it to be recognised. Re-installing the (keyboard-)drivers hasn't solved this problem.

Might a clean XP installation solve the problem?

Cheers

--------------------
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
AlterEcho

Re: PC crash after CPU upgrade new [Re: Phunky]
      #1024999 - 19/12/12 12:22 AM
Have you swapped the old CPU back in, to see if anything has changed?

Phunky

#1025012 - 19/12/12 05:37 AM
No, I haven't tried the old CPU.

--------------------

Yardstick

Loc: Netherlands
      #1025038 - 19/12/12 10:16 AM
Hi,

It could be that your Power Supply is not able to produce enough power after the CPU change...
Not saying that this is it, just a thought...
If you have a light power supply this could cause the problems you decribe...

Regards,

Stephan

Phunky

#1025159 - 19/12/12 08:04 PM
I will check the PSU if everything else does not work. The new CPU is rated at 95w, the old one was 65w.
I am writing this using Knoppix, and I have only had one crash. This was while watching mp4 content. Internet works OK, which it does not on XP, but I will have to download another distro because knoppix does not have flash aboard. Going to try the Kiwi distro.

--------------------

Scramble

#1025163 - 19/12/12 08:12 PM
Might be worth downloading some stress test software and stressing your system to see if that will reliably crash it.

kolektor1

#1025177 - 19/12/12 09:12 PM
waow using a beta bios inside a daw is kinda risky imo.

maybe your budget is low but considering getting a new main board for your new cpu would be much better.

AMD always adverts about compatibility between their different cpu n sockets but in the real world this dont translate as wished.

Phunky

#1025325 - 20/12/12 03:51 PM
Kolektor1, my DAW is the PC where the 9750 used to be. My DAW is running smoothly with it's new Phenom 2 x6 1045t. The idea was to let the old CPU move to my other PC(asrock). Normally I would have build a new and faster DAW and downgraded the old to internet/back-up PC, but my EMU1820M soundcard is PCI, making such an upgrade close to impossible.

The Asrock setup now completely refuses to boot. I only get past the screen telling me about the drives and such, before it stalls.

MOBO, CPU(95w), 2xHD, DVD-player, Floppydrive, and graphics-card(G-force 6600 GT), how many watts would that approximately ad up to? The PSU says 350W.

--------------------

Phunky

#1025709 - 23/12/12 07:59 PM
PC is up and running again with the old PSU(and the beta bios).

Found an online PSU calculator, http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. My PSU is several years old(350w), and my planned(Phenom1 X4 9750) setup needs at least 300w(recommended), which the PSU probably can't deliver due to decrease in wattage because of wear and tear. According to the aforemetioned website voltage is also quite important.

My sister has quite a collection of computer parts laying around, so I might be able to find a suitable PSU at her place. Otherwise I'll buy a 430w corsair(40 euro) as replacement.

For years I have been building new machines(mobo+CPU) whenever I could double the speed for a modest outlay and never thought about upgrading the PSU. Lesson learned I hope:-)

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2675

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media