Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Frog

Recording live from my ipad into Adobe Audition
      #1025760 - 24/12/12 11:06 AM
Hi All
I have Propeller-head Figure on my Ipad and would like to record some of the stuff i am doing into adobe audition on my laptop. Please could you give me some ideas on the best way to do it with minimal background noise as I have tried going from headphone socket on the ipad to mic socket on the laptop with a jack to jack but there is quite a bit of hiss.
Any ideas?

Sean

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Recording live from my ipad into Adobe Audition new [Re: Frog]
      #1025762 - 24/12/12 11:21 AM
Quote Frog:

Hi All
I have Propeller-head Figure on my Ipad and would like to record some of the stuff i am doing into adobe audition on my laptop. Please could you give me some ideas on the best way to do it with minimal background noise as I have tried going from headphone socket on the ipad to mic socket on the laptop with a jack to jack but there is quite a bit of hiss.
Any ideas?

Sean

It seems that Figure can export an audio file. Doubtless, being Apple, it will want to put it in your iTunes library. Get it to your laptop that way.

Frog

#1025772 - 24/12/12 12:10 PM
Yes it does but its only a couple of bars worth, I was trying to play along live with some other audio files I have already in my DAW.

Exalted Wombat

#1025829 - 24/12/12 08:59 PM
OK. Well, you're probably stuck with the headphone output of the iPad. You could add an audio interface with a proper Line In - which will like the iPad output much more - to the laptop. Worth it, if you take music production at all seriously.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1025839 - 25/12/12 01:04 AM
What you need is the Behringer UCA 202, about £25 and an RCA/PHONO to 1/8" stereo jack lead.

I have had 2 202's and they both had a noise floor of better than -80dBFS, better than an iThingy I bet?

You can also hook it up to a hi fi amp and dub tape or vinyl. Add a properly buffered pedal and a usb stick with Reaper on it and you can jam guitar into any PC you find.

Dave.

Frog

#1025843 - 25/12/12 08:42 AM
Many thanks Dave

Merry Christmas all

Frog

#1025860 - 25/12/12 04:05 PM
Well would you believe it, I opened a Christmas parcel from my dad this morning and inside was said beheringer 202!! In fact he bought me the one with the extra phono pre amp as well so I can transfer some of my vinyl as well if I want to......

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1025861 - 25/12/12 04:40 PM
Quote Frog:

Well would you believe it, I opened a Christmas parcel from my dad this morning and inside was said beheringer 202!! In fact he bought me the one with the extra phono pre amp as well so I can transfer some of my vinyl as well if I want to......

Reeeesult! Well done Dad! Some might sneer at the humble 202 but for the price I think they are great. FAR better than most On Board Sound systems and being line in, far more flexible. They ARE only 16bits and don't quite make even best use of that but as I say, neg 80 (we would have killed for a neg 75 tape recorder!) and you must watch that the top end never gets closer than -6dBFS. But that is plenty of dynamic range for tape and vinyl duping and electric guitar.

You might also consider a simple DIY addition. Stereo pot in a tin? All can be revealed post festivities.

Dave.

Frog

#1026098 - 28/12/12 03:04 PM
Sorted :-) Used the 202 with a ipad to phone cable bought from amazon. Tried with the std USB driver to start with but Adobe wanted an asio driver otherwise the signal was very high. Used beheringer asio driver and now adobe lets me select the ipad and I can record direct in the daw.
Many thanks for your help. Sean

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2699

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media