Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Malwarebytes bites bad.
      #1025784 - 24/12/12 02:09 PM
I suspected a bug on our "big" PC (AMD 2X2.7G 6G ram soon to be 8G) so I ran MWBytes.

It found 12 items which I got rid of and then forgot about it.
Sometime later I ran a Samplitude track of Discovering Music (son analyses them)with Task Manager to see how much ram was being used. I also put up DPClat and horror! My normal 20muSec latency with ab max spikes of 250muSecs shot up to an angry red 2mSecs! And I was told there was badness in the works.
I uninstalled MWB and all is calm and peaceful again. Now I know we are told that anti-V software can do bad things but I have Msoft SE and it is never a problem.

Dave.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Frog

Re: Malwarebytes bites bad. new [Re: ef37a]
      #1025788 - 24/12/12 02:29 PM
I have malwarebytes installed on my laptop and run it occasionally to pick up spyware/malware but it doesnt run all the time. Msoft SE takes care of virus protection with no obvious effect on teh DAW.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1025808 - 24/12/12 05:02 PM
Quote ef37a:

It's usually worth checking to see what it is before deleting.

--------------------
Anagrams can be fnu.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Malwarebytes bites bad. new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1025814 - 24/12/12 05:24 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

Quote ef37a:

It's usually worth checking to see what it is before deleting.

Ooops! Oh well, all seems fine and then there is always Restore!
Dave.

Magic Matt

#1025827 - 24/12/12 08:29 PM
The Microsoft offering is so bad it's not worth having. It missed everything, so I'd never say "it takes care of".

Malware Bytes is very good at finding malware, but it has a stay-resident portion which is a bit of a resource hog as you've found out. You can install it without that portion and just use it as a secondary check.

I use Eset NOD32 which is exceptionally good at detecting viruses and seems to use very little by way of resources. To be honest I'd turn off the AV during low-latency recording anyway - in fact I generally just unplug the network and disable AV etc. if doing serious work on anything audio or video.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1684

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media