Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
paleface

Loc: midlands
64 bit or 32 bit plugins
      #1025983 - 27/12/12 02:18 PM

hello folks im having a brand new 64 bit windows seven machine delivered tommorow

and ive got a few question regard plugins and wich type to use

if i use the 64bit version of cubase can i still use 32 bit plugins inside it ?

and if so how does memory allocation work?
is cubase itself allowed access to all available memory
but the 32 bit plugins just acces to the 3and a half gig thats normally available on a 32 bit machine ,or are the plugins allowed individual acces of up to 3.5 gig each ?

would i be better off using the 32 bit version of cubase
and would the plugins i then use be allowed full access to its own 3.5 gig
or just a portion of the 3and a half gig that cubase can itself access?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
robinv

Re: 64 bit or 32 bit plugins new [Re: paleface]
      #1025991 - 27/12/12 02:48 PM
Quote paleface:

hello folks im having a brand new 64 bit windows seven machine delivered tommorow

and ive got a few question regard plugins and wich type to use

if i use the 64bit version of cubase can i still use 32 bit plugins inside it ?

and if so how does memory allocation work?
is cubase itself allowed access to all available memory
but the 32 bit plugins just acces to the 3and a half gig thats normally available on a 32 bit machine ,or are the plugins allowed individual acces of up to 3.5 gig each ?

With 64bit Windows 32bit plugs can use a full 4GB of memory assuming you have more than 4GB in your machine. They run in something called a "Bit Bridge" which is like a wrapper for the 32bit plugs so they can run in a 64bit host - it's not flawless and is a bit of a fudge but for the majority of well written plugs it works fine. A lot of plugs have 64bit versions so make sure you seek out and install the latest versions of your plug-ins. The 32bit plugs have access to the 4GB of memory made available by the bit bridge - not individually - it's like they are running in a 32bit host within a 64bit host if that makes sense.

Quote paleface:

would i be better off using the 32 bit version of cubase
and would the plugins i then use be allowed full access to its own 3.5 gig
or just a portion of the 3and a half gig that cubase can itself access?

Running 32bit plugs in 32bit Cubase might be more stable but then you are restricted to 4GB of RAM in total (not individually).

Best thing to do is first get 64bit versions of as much as you can, then try Cubase 64 and see how you go.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: 64 bit or 32 bit plugins new [Re: paleface]
      #1025999 - 27/12/12 03:28 PM
I've now committed to using Cubase 64-bit (Cubase 7) and am gradually hunting down the 32-bit plug-ins that no longer work properly.

At first I was pleased to find that most of my 32-bit plug-ins *seemed* to be working, but as time has gone on I've found many of them to be flakey - hanging, producing blank windows and doing other odd things.

It's a case of just try it and see - but don't forget that you can have both 32 and 64-bit versions of Cubase installed and switch between them at any time.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: 64 bit or 32 bit plugins new [Re: robinv]
      #1026701 - 02/01/13 11:57 AM
Quote robinv:

Running 32bit plugs in 32bit Cubase might be more stable but then you are restricted to 4GB of RAM in total (not individually).

If you really need to run 32bit the other working option is that you can run 64bit plugs in a 32bit sequencer using jbridge and each instance of the plug will see it's own memory space seperate to the 3.5GBish that the sequencer has access too. I'm still running mine as a 32 bit client on a 64bit OS with 64bit Reactor and Kontakt jbridged back in althrough I suspect I'd see a sizable increase in performance if I just finally made the leap myself.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 1944

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media