Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Johnny Stecchino

Loc: Roma, Italy
CPU cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TA C - Does anyone had an experience?
      #1028828 - 16/01/13 12:00 AM
Hi to all,
my stock Intel cooler start to be noisy from time to time (it's about 5 years old now)and seems like it's the noisiest part in my system.
CPU is Intel Core 2due E6750, case is Antec sonata III, Mobo DP35DP so I thought to get another cpu cooler which will stand also with new versions of sinks.
Made a small research and found the Enermax ETS-T40-TA which seems like efficient and quiet with good price: 35€.

Does anyone have an experience with it, or can suggest a better solution, even if a bit more expensive?

Thanks in advance,
J.

--------------------
Pro. violinist who likes some experiments...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: CPU cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TA C - Does anyone had an experience? new [Re: Johnny Stecchino]
      #1028856 - 16/01/13 09:54 AM
Around the same price, if not cheaper is the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140mm. The bigger fan should be more effective meaning you should be able to run it quieter. It's a bit tall so make sure to check the case dimensions if it takes your interest.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Johnny Stecchino

Re: CPU cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TA C - Does anyone had an experience? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1029140 - 17/01/13 09:50 PM
Thanks Pete, you are my man for DIY silent ventilation (my power-supply still works silently, after replacing it's fan, thanks to your suggestion).
Looking at the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140mm, it seems great with it's 19-21dB, though in Italy costs 55€ - but that is not the problem.
It will fit into the case but seems like not into the DP35DP mobo

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: CPU cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TA C - Does anyone had an experience? new [Re: Johnny Stecchino]
      #1029183 - 18/01/13 09:21 AM
Ahh, good work on the PSU, always great to extend some more life out of them

Looking at the product page it does list 775 socket support, which is what you've got on your board so it should be alright, althrough if you've read something contradict that do stick up a link.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=182&am...

If you want, post up a link to whatever retailer your buying from over there and I'll have a look to see what you have access too. I didn't realise that the was a sizeable extra cost on Thermalright over there.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Johnny Stecchino

Re: CPU cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TA C - Does anyone had an experience? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1029258 - 18/01/13 02:10 PM
Hi again,
it is not the socket but the size of it: 155mm long which seems like wouldn't fit.
Look here http://xtreview.com/review215.htm there are many components around the cpu soceket... Oh, now I see that the base of the Thermalright actually is not so wide. Do you have any idea after how many cm it start to be 155 mm long? some of the components around the socket are 3cm high and the Ram is about 3.5cm high. with width it seems like it will fit.

The retailer are these guys:
http://www.overclockers-store.com/thermalright-true-spirit-p...

In Ebay they have it and sell for 49.9€

For the enermax I look at www.amazon.it

Thanks again!

--------------------

Johnny Stecchino

#1029270 - 18/01/13 03:12 PM
I found a photo of the Thermalright and made some calculations to fit it into real size. Seems like the base is high enough, but I don't know if it wouldn't touch the connector of the mobo to the power supply (as is possible to see in the photo of the first link I sent. I might take the risk and try, unless you there is another good option which is smaller.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1029712 - 22/01/13 11:27 AM
Do you mean the 4 pin motherboard connector? As long as you have an extractor fan on the back of the case I'd be more likely to fit it top to bottom, rather than left to right which would avoid this issue completely.

|
|
|

rather than ---

That said the cooler on the northbridge may prove an issue on that board hightwise if you try that

I've taken a look at the retailer. The next cooler I'd look would tbe Noctura U12P but your looking at another 20eur so perhaps not!

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Johnny Stecchino

#1029815 - 22/01/13 09:00 PM
Hi Pete,
Actually a main issue with the Thermalright putting it in horizontal way --- will be that it would probably touch the power-supply in the Antec III (it's on the top of the case).
The 4 connector I spoke about was in a vertical manner (top to bottom).
For the north bridge it seems like no problem with the fan. I asked that vendor about it and wiat to see if will respond. In any case they will have the Thermalright again, only from mid February.

After watching some installation photos in the net, all seems like the horizontal way
https://www.google.it/search?hl=it&client=firefox-a&...
so I wonder:
Will it be wise to put it in vertical way for air flow? I DO have two 12mm fans inside the case: one on the back and one inside, after the hard discs. Here is a photo of it:

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1029891 - 23/01/13 09:39 AM
As you already have that fan at the front and one at the back you do want it vertical as it will help maintain a positive front to rear air flow which will ensure the cooling is at it's most effective. I'm guessing if those videos had the cooler horizontally then they had fans on the roof of the case and were working with a bottom to top airflow.

It's a standard ATX board so as long as the case meets ATX spec the heatsink shouldn't overhang the edge, meaning you should have clearence from the PSU and going off your picture the should be enough room as long as the case allows for the height of the cooler.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Johnny Stecchino

#1030050 - 23/01/13 11:00 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

It's a standard ATX board so as long as the case meets ATX spec the heatsink shouldn't overhang the edge, meaning you should have clearence from the PSU and going off your picture the should be enough room as long as the case allows for the height of the cooler.

Great! Yeah the height should be ok.
Thanks for your help, I'll write again in end of February (hopefully)how things went (need to wait till the vendor will have the cooler again in stock...).

Cheers,
Jonathan

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1867

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media