Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Oliver21

Loc: Petersfield, Hants, UK
spare PC for effects
      #1029622 - 21/01/13 06:36 PM
I have a spare PC which I would like to press back into service for plugins (to take the strain off my main PC) My question is will need to have another version of Cubase running on this pc to use the plugins or is there some other way of arranging them to output through my standard. I will be using a Soundscape Mixtreme with the SS8IO analogue interface to bring the effects back into my analog mixer

--------------------
www.oliversheen.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: spare PC for effects new [Re: Oliver21]
      #1029623 - 21/01/13 06:40 PM
I'm sure someone will come along and explain the technicalities (Cubase itself has a way of linking another PC by utilising a digital connection between the two), but I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

IMO it's quicker and easier to freeze tracks, render effects and generally look at processor-saving techniques rather try to keep two PCs happily talking to each other, with all of the overheads that entails.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Chaparazzi

#1029633 - 21/01/13 08:10 PM
Hi Oliver.

I use http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/ Works a treat for me!

Matt

--------------------
Amazing take, spot on, just perfect....right....one more time.

Oliver21

#1029651 - 21/01/13 11:57 PM
I would treat the extra PC as a stand alone effects unit which would only be integrated to the extent that it was attahed to the send and returns of my consoles auxes so I don't think there would be a digital connection to be made...

That software seems a bit overspecced for what I need. It's jsut something to house the pluggins- are there no free ones?

--------------------
www.oliversheen.com

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1029659 - 22/01/13 12:51 AM
Hi Oliver21!

It may be rather elderly now, but my SOS August 2005 features entitled 'Spreading Your Music Across Networked Computers' may give you some ideas:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug05/articles/pcmusician.htm

I hope it helps anyway!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Oliver21

#1029711 - 22/01/13 11:27 AM
Thanks Martin! As you can probably gather from my choice of soundcard and interface, I'm not at all averse to elderly things. In fact I am one myself.

--------------------
www.oliversheen.com

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1030291 - 25/01/13 12:01 AM
Glad it helped - I must say that I personally prefer to keep my studio as quiet as possible, so one computer is quite sufficient

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Tombot

Loc: Scan Pro Audio
      #1030329 - 25/01/13 05:49 AM
Plus one for vienna ensemble pro.

I've got two other computers (one pc, one mac) on my gigabit LAN and it works well to send fx off to the remote machines and back, as well as runnning instruments on the other computers. All of the midi and audio is taken care of without the need for audio interfaces on every machine. As the other machines are not in the same room, no increase in local noise levels.

--------------------
www.theautobots.com / www.scan.co.uk

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
      #1030330 - 25/01/13 06:13 AM
can you use re-wire across multiple pc's with like an ethernet cord or something similar? :s

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Reiknir

Re: spare PC for effects new [Re: The Elf]
      #1030614 - 26/01/13 09:31 PM
Quote The Elf:

I'm sure someone will come along and explain the technicalities (Cubase itself has a way of linking another PC by utilising a digital connection between the two), but I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

It's surprisingly easy, the slave computer has to have a digital input which makes the card on the slave sync the DAC to the one on the Master which is the real magic trick and is what enables zero latency synchronization, and the slave has to either have a copy of Cubase or the optional systemlink software if you want to just use the slave as a VST/VSTi host.

Works like a charm

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: spare PC for effects new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1030769 - 28/01/13 09:31 AM
Quote Skerrick:

can you use re-wire across multiple pc's with like an ethernet cord or something similar? :s

Not using Rewire itself but Vienna Ensemble mentioned above does the same job over a cable.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: spare PC for effects new [Re: Reiknir]
      #1030931 - 28/01/13 09:44 PM
Quote Reiknir:

Quote The Elf:

It's surprisingly easy, the slave computer has to have a digital input which makes the card on the slave sync the DAC to the one on the Master which is the real magic trick and is what enables zero latency synchronization, and the slave has to either have a copy of Cubase or the optional systemlink software if you want to just use the slave as a VST/VSTi host.

Works like a charm

Except that a charm is magic, and therefore dependent on quite a few factors out of your control

From my recollection System Link does work well with Steinberg audio interfaces, but can fall over with others because it relies on using several bits of the digital signal, and the contents of these may depend on how the driver has been written.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Goddard

Re: spare PC for effects new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1030973 - 29/01/13 08:38 AM
Back when I was using Cubendo, V-stack worked fairly well with the Steinberg/ESI VSL2020 PCI cards but those cards were orphaned long ago (a shame, great ADAT cards) so dunno about current support. But VEP does the job very nicely now though.

Btw, a quite decent basic VST host application I've not seen mentioned which can run in Win x64 is "VSTHost":

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Reiknir

Re: spare PC for effects new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1033808 - 17/02/13 04:55 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

Quote Reiknir:

Quote The Elf:

Works like a charm

Except that a charm is magic, and therefore dependent on quite a few factors out of your control

From my recollection System Link does work well with Steinberg audio interfaces, but can fall over with others because it relies on using several bits of the digital signal, and the contents of these may depend on how the driver has been written.

Martin

YMMV of course, I am not sure how the experience was when Steinberg released it originally around 2000, but I have been using it since 2009, do not own a single Steinberg card and have not had any problems, cards used have been a mixture of ESI and EMU multichannel interfaces and cheap VIA based sound-cards from Terratec and Philips.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3527

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media