Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
charlie chalk

ssd hard drive recomdations help
      #1029807 - 22/01/13 07:40 PM
Hey peeps,

I'm running windows 7 on a pc and have been using an ocz octane sata 2.0 128gb ssd. It is as my main system drive. It is a replacement drive as the first died a few weeks after purchase. Unfortunately this replacement is now dying.

Basically, the problem is is that windows 7 boots up fine, but then after 10 minutes or so windows freezes and I get a bsod. This problem happened a couple of weeks back as I had originally used a system image to start using the drive. I then decided to re-install windows and this worked fine for a few weeks up until now & I'm getting the problems again I described above.

This is a real pain as I'm right in the middle of some work & I bought the thing from dabs who have been very helpful in the past. However, I've just seen they are out of stock with this drive so I think its going to be a while to either get a replacement/get it fixed. The other thing is that I live very near a maplins, so I'm tempted to just go there and buy a new one. However, I'm not really sure of what the differences are between the makes and what to look for as a good friend of mine gave me the recommendation and I just bought it.

I've heard the samsung models are good, just a bit pricey.

can anyone help/advise

thanks in advance

charlie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Trevor Johnson

Re: ssd hard drive recomdations help new [Re: charlie chalk]
      #1029843 - 22/01/13 11:41 PM
Quote:

I've heard the samsung models are good, just a bit pricey.

The SSDs most highly recommended are Crucial, Intel and Samsung. I use Crucial and Samsung. OCZ have had a poor reputation for failure, athough they may have improved as their SSDs have been developed and new models introduced.

Samsung 840 and 840 Pro differ in that they use triple-level cell NAND and multi-level cell NAND, respectively, so the more expensive Pro version is quicker in certain benchmarks, but whether that is important in real-life situations depends on your PC setup and the tasks you perform. The Crucial range is V4 and M4: I would always go for the quicker M4, even if you only have a SATA II (3 GB/s) controller.

Overclockers UK and Scan have always been good suppliers to me and can supply any of these SSDs, including the Intel range. Typically, for 100/120/128 Gb SSDs from Intel, Samsung or Crucial, expect to pay between £80 to £95, plus P&P. If Maplin have a good offer on one of these, buy from them.

Hope this is helpful: there are many other forum members who know much more about this than I do, though.

Trevor

Magic Matt

#1029855 - 23/01/13 01:05 AM
That's pretty surprising. I've used Octane SSD without issue. They're not my first choice, but they represent good value and have been reliable so far.

By all means try another brand, but I have a feeling you may have an underlying issue with another component - possibly SATA driver related, or even an issue with the power supply.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1029889 - 23/01/13 09:30 AM
Did you firmware flash the OCZ when you got it? Sometimes helps if the is an old FW revision on there the drivers may not be playing nice with it.

I'll echo the Samsung, Intel, Crucial as far as drive choices goes.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

charlie chalk

#1029993 - 23/01/13 05:14 PM
Hey peeps,

thanks for all your help and replies very much appreciated!

Like and idiot, I forgot to update the firmware when I went to reinstall windows for the second time....hey ho, lesson learnt, just purchased a crucial m4 128gb from amazon for £80. Dabs have agreed to refund me (hopefully) so all is well....hopefully!

thanks again

charlie

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1503

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media