Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Getting AHCI to work on Windows 8
      #1030095 - 24/01/13 10:56 AM
My main desktop PC is a very nice box that Scan built for me a few years ago, and it generally works great... but being an inveterate tinkerer, I will keep fiddling with it and trying to pimp it up more.

I installed Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on it in November (on a new bigger Corsair Neutron GTX SSD SATA3 system drive), and it's working very nicely for me.

But, I then read that my SATA3 drive will go twice as fast if I can enable "AHCI" mode in my BIOS instead of "IDE" mode... so I duly go into the BIOS and change it ... only to find that Windows hangs at the boot screen now. Tsk. (Easy to roll back, of course ... but now AHCI mode hangs tantalisingly over the horizon, taunting me with its unreachableness).

The problem appears to be that, unless you install Windows with AHCI mode switched on in the first place, Windows doesn't load an AHCI driver at boot time.

You could fix this in Windows 7 with a registry tweak, but and whilst the Interweb's suggest a slightly renamed key tweak to do the same in Windows 8, it's not working for me (I notice I'm not the only one on line who find this)

Getting into the nitty gritty of my motherboard, it's a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) ...

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
feline1

Re: Getting AHCI to work on Windows 8 new [Re: feline1]
      #1030097 - 24/01/13 11:02 AM
(looks like this http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449 )
It has 8(!) SATA ports on the board. All of them are SATA2, except a pair which are SATA3 and have a different Marvel controller.
Scan had built it with the SSD system drive and BluRay drive plugged into a SATA2, and a big spinning platter D: drive on a SATA3 port.

So, I wanted to try and move the new SSD drive onto the spare SATA3 port too - which works, but only will boot if in 'IDE mode'.

Anyone any tips for getting Windows 8 to switch to AHCI?

And also - the thing is, the motherboard's SATA2 ports WILL switch to AHCI (which use a microsoft driver), but not the SATA3 port (with the Marvel controller).

So if I can't get the SATA3 port to go AHCI, which will be quicker: a SATA2 port in AHCI mode, or a SATA3 port in IDE mode?

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

feline1

#1030356 - 25/01/13 10:02 AM
Hmm... so after some help on Gigabyte's forum, it basically turns out: the Marvel 9128 SATA3 controller turned out to be a turkey. It doesn't work properly with AHCI, the drivers are pants, and neither Marvel nor Gigabyte ever provided a fix. Many people who bought a motherboard incorporating it just had to accept it didn't work. Meh.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1030365 - 25/01/13 10:52 AM
Hmmm... What was the original SSD, was it a sata 2 drive originally?

Yeah, the Marvell controller did turn out to be a bit rough, but it was the controller of choice for all the main motherboards (asus, gigabyte Msi and even some Intel) up until the generation after those where Intel took it native and sorted it all out. Annoying case of early adopter syndrome!

The are some newer drivers and a firmware that may apply on http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm near the bottom (do a page search for "9128") that may or may not improve things. The are 2 different AHCI settings in the bios with the intel controller being where you expect it to be and the Marvel one is hiden under another menu. I can't recall the name of it but I do recall it's under the first drop down on the far left in the bios under something like system info or something else you may not suspect. You may already know this, but I'm just covering what I can from memory.

An add in sata 3 card may give a better result if all else fails.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

feline1

Re: Getting AHCI to work on Windows 8 new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1030389 - 25/01/13 01:15 PM
Hi Pete!
Quote Pete Kaine:

Hmmm... What was the original SSD, was it a sata 2 drive originally?

I can't recall, I think it was an Intel 128GB, it's inside my Akai MPC4000 now! Scan fitted it to one of the Intel SATA2 ports, only the Western Digital spinning platter hard drive was connected the SATA3 originally.

Quote Pete Kaine:

The are some newer drivers and a firmware that may apply on http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm near the bottom (do a page search for "9128") that may or may not improve things. The are 2 different AHCI settings in the bios with the intel controller being where you expect it to be and the Marvel one is hiden under another menu. I can't recall the name of it but I do recall it's under the first drop down on the far left in the bios under something like system info or something else you may not suspect. You may already know this, but I'm just covering what I can from memory.

Yes, the Marvel port has its own BIOS setting. I think I used the latest driver and controller firmware that Gigabyte supplied, but I guess it won't do any harm to try those ones too.

Quote Pete Kaine:

Oh, can you get those for PCI slots?

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1030425 - 25/01/13 03:32 PM
Hello!

Quote feline1:

I can't recall, I think it was an Intel 128GB, it's inside my Akai MPC4000 now! Scan fitted it to one of the Intel SATA2 ports, only the Western Digital spinning platter hard drive was connected the SATA3 originally.

Yeah, I was trying to work out in my mind why that would be. Depending on when you go it the SSD's from that era might still have been Sata 2, where the mechanicals claimed to be Sata3 althrough you'll only hit that coming from the cache rather than stright off the drive but it might still have been in mind when they did it. I was just trying to get inside the thought process of whoever put it together!

Quote feline1:

Yes, the Marvel port has its own BIOS setting. I think I used the latest driver and controller firmware that Gigabyte supplied, but I guess it won't do any harm to try those ones too.

They helped someone else a few months ago but it may have been situation specfic. Perhaps worth making sure your SSD is on the latest firmware but I don't expect it to make any vast difference at this stage.

Quote feline1:

Quote Pete Kaine:

Oh, can you get those for PCI slots?

Yeah, but after a quick hunt I don't think we have any left. If you Google up "pci sata 3" the are still a few options available still from a number of suppliers. The other option is if you have a spare GFX card slot you could mount a PCI-E one into it if you have no other plans for it.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

feline1

#1031021 - 29/01/13 01:39 PM
In the end, I just put my SSD system drive, spinning platter data drive, and my optical drive all on their own SATA2 channel, all in AHIC mode. And they all work fine. SATA3 will have to wait for a mobo upgrade!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 2523

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media