Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
TheBev

Loc: London
New Monitor Query?
      #1032808 - 09/02/13 11:44 AM
Hi -

I am wanting to upgrade my 17" monitor to the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M but have one niggling query. As well as PC duties I'd want to hook it up to a Panasonic freeview recorder as I've been without TV for 3 years or so. Can't say I've missed it but as the football season hots up I'd like to be able to watch Spurs glorious march to the top of the league.
Well... that's what I'd like..

Anyway, as the monitor doesn't have a suitable connector would a convertor cable do the trick from the freeview box to the monitor. Eg; a HDMI to DVI convertor cable, just don't want to make some silly mistake.

Oh - & just noticed now that they come in either LED or LCD flavours, is it an either / or situation or is one of them inherently a better choice?

Many thanks if you can help, & apologies for yet another monitor Q.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
Re: New Monitor Query? new [Re: TheBev]
      #1032823 - 09/02/13 03:22 PM
Quote TheBev:

Oh - & just noticed now that they come in either LED or LCD flavours, is it an either / or situation or is one of them inherently a better choice?

Many thanks if you can help, & apologies for yet another monitor Q.

Not sure of the answer to your main question, but i bought one of THESE a few months ago. I bought it mainly to fill up a space in the spare bedroom ( Shh, don't tell osborne )

The picture quality is stunning & i have been promising myself for a while to try it as a pc monitor.

Oh, and you can use a USB stick to record programs. When my existing pc monitor finally dies i think i will be looking at something like this.

mooblie

Loc: The Highlands, Scotland
      #1032845 - 09/02/13 06:54 PM
Quote TheBev:

..... a HDMI to DVI convertor cable......

Careful: that MIGHT be OK, but two things occur:

- the monitor is 1920x1200, the HDMI output will probably be sending 1920x1080 - so that screen might distort your image (too tall) or maybe not even sync at all. It is unlikely to (correctly) letter-box it with black bars. You might be better off buying a native 1920x1080 monitor - lots of THOSE around,

and

- don't forget about audio - the monitor won't take the audio from HDMI. Maybe your Freeview box has analogue audio out of some phonos (or SCART, even) that you can deal with separately?

--------------------
Martin at HeadSpin

TheBev

#1032866 - 09/02/13 11:17 PM
Thanks guys.. looks like it's back to the drawing board then, pity as it seemed a good solution / great monitor.

mooblie - I'd have had the audio covered, by, as you say, phono outs from the freeview box into a DAC & onto some monitors. I've not yet bought anything so words of warning about resolution much appreciated.
mick.n - I think I had a mental block on the Freeview TV / USB record option as it's primary function is.. as a TV. Or.. I could kid myself I still didn't own one. Looks like I need to revisit that scenario. I think I was also put off by not being able to get full HD in the 24 inch-ish range. Now I (re)think it I can't remember why it seemed important, probably something I misunderstood somewhere along the way.

Anyway.. horrible mistake averted by the sounds of it, & Spurs are gonna mess up anyway.. so it's all good.

chris...

#1032881 - 10/02/13 11:53 AM
Why not get a 1920x1080 monitor, around 24", as moobile suggests ?

TheBev

Re: New Monitor Query? new [Re: chris...]
      #1032891 - 10/02/13 01:21 PM
Hi - Chris,

yeah I'll re-look into all choices again I guess. The Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, a 23 inch monitor is 1920x1080 I believe, & 50 quid cheaper, so it seems it may be a good alternative. I like the fact these monitors can tilt for my endless re-reading of manuals & the like as well. Again no HDMI on it but if the convertor cables play nicely not really an issue.

TBH I hadn't even considered the resolution to be a potential problem, so it's caught me on the hop somewhat. All I can see on the freeview box specs are 1080/24p Playback - which I guess is the standard & hopefully compatible with the above, still not sure though.
Anyway - thanks again mooblie for pointing that out.

Back to looking at specs etc - anymore comments about potential pitfalls gratefully received.

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
      #1032974 - 11/02/13 06:29 AM
Quote TheBev:

LED definitely gives better clarity, colour, brightness and i imagine it would save massive amounts of power based on the general applications and properties of a regular LED bulb..

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Ojustaboo

Re: New Monitor Query? new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1032982 - 11/02/13 09:04 AM
Quote Skerrick:

Quote TheBev:

LED definitely gives better clarity, colour, brightness and i imagine it would save massive amounts of power based on the general applications and properties of a regular LED bulb..

Most LED monitors use PWM to control the brightness. This means that to have it on anything but 100% brightness (which is way too bright), the brightness is dimmed by the LEDs being turned off and on very very quick.

Most people have no problems with it but if you suffer from eye strain or headaches, these can be unbearable. I found out about this after I bought an Asus PB278Q that had a superb pic but gave me constant eyestrain and headaches. Googling LED monitors and eyestrain/headaches, turns out it wasn't only me.

I returned it for the Dell U2713HM

I have had zero eyestrain or headaches since.

If you look at the panel and backlighting part of these reviews you can see the effect of PWM and no PWM. They have pics showing the effect.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

There's also an article about PWM on the same site

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation....

Edited by Ojustaboo (11/02/13 09:09 AM)

TheBev

#1033081 - 11/02/13 08:01 PM
Thanks for jumping in guys..

Ojustaboo - sorry to hear about your issues & glad you found a workable solution. I've never had a problem with my monitor tbh but tis an LCD. I guess it'll be suck it & see time if I decide to buy the Dell 23", there only seems to be an LED version of that monitor.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2420

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media