Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
OneWorld

Bonjour Printer Wizard??????
      #1033355 - 13/02/13 08:12 PM
I keep my PC off the internet, except when I occasionally enable the NIC to activate software and install Windows updates, yet all of a sudden 'Bonjour Printer Wizrd' has appeared, I have no idea what it is, I don't even have a printer.

When looking at Control Panel/Programs and Features it says it comes from Apple INC, how did an Apple Program get installed on my PC when I have never even been anywhere near Apple and don't want to either - I once made the mistake of installed Apple Quicktime - OMG what a load garbage, and seeing as I don't have a printer installed, why does Apple think I need their cr*p?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard?????? new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1033360 - 13/02/13 08:31 PM
iTunes?

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1033368 - 13/02/13 09:18 PM
It's a world-wide epidemic.

You install a simple piece of software to do a simple task and it comes with media managers, toolbars, 'helpers' (whatever they are), photo editors, an installation of Google Chrome, an attempt to reset your home page, a load of 'trial' software, hi-jacks all your audio file extensions to point to its own player... at each stage of its installation trying to trap the unwary to hit 'Next' without checking what they agreeing to.

Take a look at what is in your start-up list (CCleaner is a good utility for this). You may be surprised at what nonsense gets in there. If you know what you're doing CCleaner will let you disable the stuff.

Gradually I am finding alternatives for any software that does the above. Of course it's not always possible, but if everyone tried to do the same...

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

3TAAL

#1033371 - 13/02/13 09:45 PM
I have a printer connected directly to my imac and have used bonjour to print wirelessly from another pc via the imac.

Regards
Pat

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1033414 - 14/02/13 09:43 AM
OW - The are a couple of other sources it may have come from. Have a glance down this thread for some more info on it : http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/98565-apple-bonjour-service/

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

OneWorld

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard?????? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1033784 - 17/02/13 03:47 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

OW - The are a couple of other sources it may have come from. Have a glance down this thread for some more info on it : http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/98565-apple-bonjour-service/

Thanks, I think it came with either Nocturn's Automap service or IK Multimedia Custom Shop, and on another thread, there's me trumpeting my delight with my IK Multimedia purchase

OneWorld

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard?????? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1033786 - 17/02/13 03:50 AM
Quote The Elf:

You install a simple piece of software to do a simple task and it comes with media managers, toolbars, 'helpers' (whatever they are), photo editors, an installation of Google Chrome, an attempt to reset your home page, a load of 'trial' software, hi-jacks all your audio file extensions to point to its own player... at each stage of its installation trying to trap the unwary to hit 'Next' without checking what they agreeing to.

Take a look at what is in your start-up list (CCleaner is a good utility for this). You may be surprised at what nonsense gets in there. If you know what you're doing CCleaner will let you disable the stuff.

Gradually I am finding alternatives for any software that does the above. Of course it's not always possible, but if everyone tried to do the same...

Thanks, tell me about it, even non-freeware dumps all kinds of crud on the computer, I usually manage to swerve by it, but this one got through. I did uninstall it by way of Ccleaner, but I looked through the registry and there were entries relating to Bonjour (I'd prefer Adios) all over the place. I think it came from either Novation's Automap or IK Multimedia Custom Shop/T-Racks

OneWorld

#1033787 - 17/02/13 04:14 AM
It is Novaton's Automap, I suppse it uses Bonjour to run the Automap 'server' darn it, if I had known the software dumps crud on the PC I wouldn't have bought the Novation controller :-(

InactiveX

Loc: England
      #1033799 - 17/02/13 03:05 PM
I was pretty dismayed when I found out the Novation software used Bonjour (what a stupid name).

I never found the AutoMap software to be that practical anyway, so I removed it all.

OneWorld

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard?????? new [Re: InactiveX]
      #1033801 - 17/02/13 03:35 PM
Quote InactiveX:

I was pretty dismayed when I found out the Novation software used Bonjour (what a stupid name).

I never found the AutoMap software to be that practical anyway, so I removed it all.

After my Behringer BCR2000 packed in, and after reading what a magical thing Automap was. I bought the Zero SL2 controller, and was amazed with how it could swap from one control setup to another. That was a case of premature jubilation.

So I thought I would re-work some of my older Cubase projects only to find they wouldn't work, my Kontakt 5 settings were all lost, because it now shows as Kontakt(Automap), there were a couple of soft-synths, Z3TA+2 for example, that were listed as both Z3TA+2 and Z3TA+2(Automap) so at least I had the choice to reload the non-Automap synth, but for the main part all was lost.

That and the Bonjour, which apparently is harmless except that it is more cr*p the PC doesn't need and looking on the internet, it appears Bonjours opens wide all sorts of ports that could make the PC vulnerable - I turn my PC NIC off except for downloads/updates/activations etc, but I don't like the idea of ports being wide open because Bonjour wants to faff about. So Automap has now been taken off and the controller has gone on eBay, so that's another £50 hit I'll be taking, considering what I bought it for and what I can sell it for +eBay commission etc.

I do think reviewers of equipment/software etc should give us the full picture in their reviews, I was completely sold on the Zero SL after reading the review, had I known then what I know now I would have gone on eBay and replaced my BCR2000 with another for £50'ish, even if it only lasted a year, then I could stand the loss.

I also have an old Evolution MK-425c which also worked fine but I could never find out how to make the 8 rotary controllers switch roles, eg, on my Z3TA+2, I can map the filter controllers to the 8 rotaries, but then would also like to re-assign them to envelope controllers by doing whatever needs to be done, as I could on the BCR2000.

So in other words, for each synth I control, I only have the 8 rotary controls available. I could call up another program in the MK-425c and control the envelopes, but would lose the filter controls. I could do this quite easily in the Zero SL2 by switching 'pages', in the MK-425c I cannot find out how to do it.

Anyone suggest a decent contoller?

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1033805 - 17/02/13 04:26 PM
Quote OneWorld:

I have three 'controllers':

Frontier Alphatrack. This is my transport controller, fine control fader and automation writer.
Behringer BCF2000. This is 'fistful of faders'. I rarely use this.
Roland JP-8080. This is my VSTi editor. I have one specific patch just for synth control and I set the translations so the basic controls always line up (filter cut-off/resonance, envelope controls, etc).

Dunno if anything there takes your fancy.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

OneWorld

#1033812 - 17/02/13 05:34 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote OneWorld:

I have three 'controllers':

Frontier Alphatrack. This is my transport controller, fine control fader and automation writer.
Behringer BCF2000. This is 'fistful of faders'. I rarely use this.
Roland JP-8080. This is my VSTi editor. I have one specific patch just for synth control and I set the translations so the basic controls always line up (filter cut-off/resonance, envelope controls, etc).

Dunno if anything there takes your fancy.

Thanks, for transport I'm OK, I bought a PC Remote off eBay and I have managed to assign common Cubase controls to it - record (*) loop (/) play, return etc

The BCR2000 I liked because of all the rotarys which I assigned to the rotary controls on my softsynths, so it is sort of some controller that would do that, which is what the Automap does, but messes up other things

Johnsy

#1033998 - 18/02/13 09:32 PM
'Bonjour' is Apple's implementation of Zeroconf (zero configuration networking), and something of an industry standard, being available not only for OSX and Windows, but also for BSD/POSIX-based OS's such as Linux. Without it (or an equivalent - which doesn't really exist), a DHCP/DNS or manual network configuration is required, neither of which is an attractive prospect to most users.

As we move toward a networked audio paradigm, Bonjour is likely to be showing up on more and more DAW PC's. Audinate's Dante, for example - licenced by the likes of Yamaha, Focusrite and Presonus - won't work without it.

Dynamic Mike

#1034037 - 19/02/13 02:32 AM
Quote The Elf:

NVidia automatic update surreptitiously installed 3D vision a couple of months back for a bog standard GeForce 8400 GS. Took me hours to undo the damage, resetting multiple monitor resolutions, colour balance etc.

My worst experience was when my son innocently installed Sony OMG software for a minidisc which helpfully added copyright protection to all my tracks!

I log into network PC's at work which have so many toolbars & BHO's the IE window looks like a letter box. Yet if a website wants to install a cookie...

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

OneWorld

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard?????? new [Re: Johnsy]
      #1034345 - 20/02/13 03:47 PM
Quote Johnsy:

'Bonjour' is Apple's implementation of Zeroconf (zero configuration networking), and something of an industry standard, being available not only for OSX and Windows, but also for BSD/POSIX-based OS's such as Linux. Without it (or an equivalent - which doesn't really exist), a DHCP/DNS or manual network configuration is required, neither of which is an attractive prospect to most users.

As we move toward a networked audio paradigm, Bonjour is likely to be showing up on more and more DAW PC's. Audinate's Dante, for example - licenced by the likes of Yamaha, Focusrite and Presonus - won't work without it.

I'll concentrate onn making music instead of jizzing about with this computer nonsense - it's getting to the point where the tail's wagging the dog

OneWorld

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard?????? new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1034346 - 20/02/13 03:52 PM
Quote Dynamic Mike:

Quote The Elf:

NVidia automatic update surreptitiously installed 3D vision a couple of months back for a bog standard GeForce 8400 GS. Took me hours to undo the damage, resetting multiple monitor resolutions, colour balance etc.

My worst experience was when my son innocently installed Sony OMG software for a minidisc which helpfully added copyright protection to all my tracks!

I log into network PC's at work which have so many toolbars & BHO's the IE window looks like a letter box. Yet if a website wants to install a cookie...

You've actually dropped onto another point here and pointed me to the fix for another problem - yes I have a good NVidia Card, I'm not in need of 3D and all of a sudden this 3D flotsam and jetsom dumped on my PC, and as you experienced, dual monitor setup trashed, resolutions gone up the swanee and I don't care what they say - the actual display is inferior, it's taking me longer to get my PC running all mean and clean than it is to learn to play Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues, there's gotta be a severe case of incorrect priorities there.

In fact thinking about it, before I moved from XP to Win7, I only ever went on the internet to activate software I had bought, or update existing software, and inthe latter case would 99% of the time download an update to my ragamuffin PC, run a virus check and then transfer to my music PC.

I only went as far as SP3 and after that never did any driver updates etc, just music software updates, and come to think of it, the computer never seemed to suffer for it, it ran reliably, quickly. When I installed Win7, there seemed to be a tsunami of updates/patches/fixes etc, no of which seemed to have any noticable positive impact, but there has been negative impact. Most if not all of the WIn7 updates/patches seem to be concerned with internet issues anyway

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4145

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media