Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Magic Matt

Virtual Drummer DXi/VST
      #1033526 - 14/02/13 09:00 PM
I've heard of Jamstix, and I think there's a demo you can download. It seems to do what I want... which is basically add it to my project then not have to worry about making drum tracks (which I am really poor at doing anyway).

Are there any other good ones worth looking at?

Are there any that can play live - ie be used on stage?

I'm really looking to do blues/rock styles, but I also acoustic new age type stuff would be good too. This is for my own use rather than professional, but I still want it to sound good.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: Virtual Drummer DXi/VST new [Re: Magic Matt]
      #1033538 - 14/02/13 10:27 PM
Steinberg Groove Agent might be worth a look.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/groove_agent/groove_agent.html

But it seems to be currently unavailable as it's "between versions".

tomdot

#1033606 - 15/02/13 01:11 PM
There is also Melda MDrummer but I haven't used it so cant vouch for it's suitability. Melda have some good plugins though, so I wouldn't expect it to be overly terrible.

I'm looking for something like this for the Mac but there really isn't anything similar to Jamstix I've noticed. Whatever it does, it appears to be the only one that does it like that.

Magic Matt

#1033613 - 15/02/13 02:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Yes, I'm getting the impression that Jamstix is a bit unique. Most of the others seem to be pattern based editing, whereas Jamstix has that improvisational element to it which I think would be a big help to me.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1033641 - 15/02/13 05:27 PM
Quote Magic Matt:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Yes, I'm getting the impression that Jamstix is a bit unique. Most of the others seem to be pattern based editing, whereas Jamstix has that improvisational element to it which I think would be a big help to me.

I use JS3.0. I rarely cotton on to these things intuitively, have to study them hard to make them work. With that said, I think it is incredibly easy to get an at least decent, and usually good-sounding drummer on your track with minimal to no effort using it. On the other hand, I think it is much harder to tweak it into a great-sounding drummer, mainly because EVERYTHING is programmable and I haven't gotten an intuitive sense yet how to prioritize my "tweaking algorithm".

I do recommend a download trial, and looking at the ** Jamstix Forums ** .

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Virtual Drummer DXi/VST new [Re: alexis]
      #1033646 - 15/02/13 06:41 PM
^^

Sorry, too late to edit, so having to put in a new post:

1) The Blues/Rock styles are the easiest to use, IMO. They've got Charlie Watts who's pretty good right out of the box, all the way up to Keith Moon, ditto, except I have to calm him down as he is usually amped on meth, from the sound of it. But what's new.

2) JS3 has a "Live Loops" function geared towards live work. I've never used it, but perhaps you can get some feedback on the forums.

3) Instead of having said JS3 is pretty easy to generate good sounding drummers "... with minimal to no effort", I should have said, "... with very little effort". Sorry for the hyperbole!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1033721 - 16/02/13 12:03 PM
This Jamstix sounds interesting. I put together backing tracks for people & the most time consuming thing is the drum tracks....as i am not a drummer.

Would this software be suitable for this kind of thing,,,,putting backing tracks together. Any advantage to programming drum tracks from scratch? (the way i do it at present)

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Virtual Drummer DXi/VST new [Re: chris...]
      #1033730 - 16/02/13 01:24 PM
Quote chris...:

Steinberg Groove Agent might be worth a look.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/groove_agent/groove...

But it seems to be currently unavailable as it's "between versions".

I reviewed both Groove Agent 2 and 3 for SOS if you're interested in reading about them:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/articles/steinbergergroove.htm

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/articles/steinberggrooveagent3.htm

I used them both quite a lot, but as I said in those reviews "many musicians who bought previous versions of Groove Agent experienced difficulties in using it with hosts other than Cubase", so it it sounds interesting I'd check up on how that aspect has developed since.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Magic Matt

Re: Virtual Drummer DXi/VST new [Re: mick.n]
      #1033740 - 16/02/13 02:40 PM
Quote mick.n:

Would this software be suitable for this kind of thing,,,,putting backing tracks together. Any advantage to programming drum tracks from scratch? (the way i do it at present)

Yes, speed (if you DON'T start from scratch). The biggest argument for doing your own from scratch is variation and style... but since both are my main weaknesses, in my case these are more reasons not to!

Put it this way: one of the things I want to do is make backing tracks I can jam along to. I've just downloaded the demo of Jamstix and not only have I managed to lay down a bass part with a drum track in under 10 minutes, but it was about 10 seconds to automate the dynamics thing and get it to "ramp up" the drumming when I wanted the track to get more excited, then "calm down" again a bit later.

It normally takes me 10 minutes just to get the basic bass, snare, hi-hat loop sounding ok. LOL!

Very impressed so far, and this is just the demo!

Edited by Magic Matt (16/02/13 03:04 PM)

Magic Matt

Re: Virtual Drummer DXi/VST new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1033741 - 16/02/13 02:58 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

I used them both quite a lot, but as I said in those reviews "many musicians who bought previous versions of Groove Agent experienced difficulties in using it with hosts other than Cubase", so it it sounds interesting I'd check up on how that aspect has developed since.

Thanks! At the moment I'm a "non fixed entity". I have Sonar 8* on my workstation and Reaper demo on my mobile setup. I'd rather not buy yet another DAW system, and will probably buy Reaper simply because it seems pretty lightweight for recording compared to Sonar (plus it's cheaper, which is always helpful!) and it's working to do what I need. I don't think the current Cubase is even an option because the price is horrific.

If it works well in Reaper, which is most likely where I'll use it, then it may be a contender, however I have Session Drummer 2 and just find it a bit awkward and with no variation or life to it. I don't think it's the samples, it's just totally reliant on me to come up with the loops, and I'm very poor at it, and have no real interest in it.

Edited by Magic Matt (16/02/13 02:59 PM)

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1033797 - 17/02/13 02:27 PM
Quote Magic Matt:

Quote mick.n:

Yes, speed (if you DON'T start from scratch). The biggest argument for doing your own from scratch is variation and style... but since both are my main weaknesses, in my case these are more reasons not to!

Put it this way: one of the things I want to do is make backing tracks I can jam along to. I've just downloaded the demo of Jamstix and not only have I managed to lay down a bass part with a drum track in under 10 minutes, but it was about 10 seconds to automate the dynamics thing and get it to "ramp up" the drumming when I wanted the track to get more excited, then "calm down" again a bit later.

It normally takes me 10 minutes just to get the basic bass, snare, hi-hat loop sounding ok. LOL!

Very impressed so far, and this is just the demo!

Many thanks Matt. Will give the demo a try. If it makes the job easier i will gladly give the credit card a bashing.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3159

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media