Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
twotoedsloth

PCI or PCIe audio interface
      #1033677 - 15/02/13 11:27 PM
Does anyone know of a replacement for the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or 192?

I need an internal PCI or PCIe card to deter theft, all it needs to do is SPDIF or AES I/O.

Thanks,

Peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
johnny h

Re: PCI or PCIe audio interface new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #1033679 - 16/02/13 12:25 AM
Quote twotoedsloth:

Does anyone know of a replacement for the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or 192?

I need an internal PCI or PCIe card to deter theft, all it needs to do is SPDIF or AES I/O.

Thanks,

Peter

I think PCI cards are more effective in deterring threat. A dog is even better, however. I would recommend a German Shepherd.

twotoedsloth

Re: PCI or PCIe audio interface new [Re: johnny h]
      #1033681 - 16/02/13 12:38 AM
Hmm... maybe. Can a German Shepherd handle 24 bit SPDIF at 44.1khz?

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #1033683 - 16/02/13 12:54 AM
Quote twotoedsloth:

Hmm... maybe. Can a German Shepherd handle 24 bit SPDIF at 44.1khz?

It all depends where you put the electrodes...

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1033690 - 16/02/13 07:31 AM
What is wrong with the 2496 if all you need is S/PDIF?

The AP 192 has all but vanished in Europe AFAICT. I asked here not long ago for a source (still want one if anybody wants rid)

PCIe soundcards seem to have been passed by,very few examples about, it is all usb and Fussywire now tho' the latter also seems to be on the wane.

Here's an off the wall idea! Buy an NI KA6 and bolt it inside the PC! It IS very compact and beejooo!
Dave.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: PCI or PCIe audio interface new [Re: ef37a]
      #1033731 - 16/02/13 01:29 PM
Quote ef37a:

What is wrong with the 2496 if all you need is S/PDIF?

I agree with Dave - I'm still using an ancient Echo Mia PCI soundcard bought way back in 2001, but before anyone throws up their hands in horror, its S/PDIF output is connected to a Lavy DA10 converter for superb playback quality, while its S/PDIF input is connected to an Audient Mico stereo mic preamp with DI and A/D converters.

My recording quality is dtermined by the Mico clock/conversion, while playback quality benefits from the jitter reduction of the DA10.

Any audio interface that offers bit-perfect digital transfers can do the job in this scenario

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

twotoedsloth

#1033860 - 18/02/13 06:24 AM
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I need a replacement for my Audiophile 24/96 because mine died. I can't find a replacement. I would be happy with either the 24/96 or 192, or even the Echo Mia MIDI... but no one has any stock.

I am taking the SPDIF out of my Yamaha o1v96 console.

Does anyone know of a replacement, or where a Canadian can get one of the three aforementioned cards?

Thanks,

Peter

johnny h

#1033913 - 18/02/13 12:11 PM
Quote twotoedsloth:

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I need a replacement for my Audiophile 24/96 because mine died. I can't find a replacement. I would be happy with either the 24/96 or 192, or even the Echo Mia MIDI... but no one has any stock.

Does anyone know of a replacement, or where a Canadian can get one of the three aforementioned cards?

Thanks,

Peter

ebay

ef37a

#1033944 - 18/02/13 02:17 PM
Quote twotoedsloth:

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-audiophile-2496-hi-quality-24- 96-pci-audio-midi-interface--2062
I know that is UK but it might be worth an Eee?

I thought occurs. Check the MOBO manual, there could be a S/PDIF header. I have found them on boards before but have never tried to use them. Also, I had a card some time ago, a Trust Optical Expert. Nothing special, probably of the SB stamp but it did have S/PDIF i/o on co-ax and optical, about 15quid IIRC.

Dave.

twotoedsloth

#1034382 - 20/02/13 07:19 PM
I haven't had any luck tracking down an Audiophile 24/97 or 192, or an Echo Mia MIDI. Do you think that eBay is trustworthy?

Thanks Dave for the suggestion of the motherboard based SPDIF, unfortunately my motherboard only has optical SPDIF out, and not SPDIF in, coaxial or optical.

I was thinking that maybe a USB audio interface is the way to go, and I could place it inside the computer case, running the cables through the liquid cooling ports (which I am not likely to ever need). Which leads me to my next question: Does anyone know of a USB audio interface that will run coaxial SPDIF at 44.1khz, hopefully bus powered, and with no controls or metering on the device, as it will be inaccessible?

Thanks again,

Peter

johnny h

#1034385 - 20/02/13 07:27 PM
Quote twotoedsloth:

I haven't had any luck tracking down an Audiophile 24/97 or 192, or an Echo Mia MIDI. Do you think that eBay is trustworthy?

Of course it is. Anyway, if you pay by paypal you are fully protected. If the item you order doesn't match the description paypal will reverse the transaction and give you your money back. I've bought many, many items off ebay and I've never had problems with dishonesty. Always check people's feedback though.

DGL.

Loc: Portland, Dorset
      #1034389 - 20/02/13 08:12 PM
Although it's not the best card in the world but I have got a Terrasonic TS22 floting around (actually the thomann swissonic version) if you want it, been causing all kinds of stability issues with my win8 desktop so decided to remove it so it's sitting around doing nowt, has drivers for all os's up to win 7 (win8 seems to accept win 7 drivers but this just buggers it up, have a ESI1010e floting around anyway).

Has MIDI IN/OUT and SPDIF and does 48/96 (I believe).

Will let it go for a £5 if your interested.

twotoedsloth

#1034391 - 20/02/13 08:36 PM
Thank you for the kind offer. It appears that the Terrasoniq TS22 is actually a 5volt PCI card, and my motherboard only accepts 3.3 volt PCI cards.

If I am mistaken, please let me know, I have a buddy in Manchester that you could mail the card to, and he's coming to visit in March.

Thanks,

Peter

DGL.

Loc: Portland, Dorset
      #1034401 - 20/02/13 09:43 PM
It appears to be a universal (+5 and +3.3) card as it has notches in the pci connector both front and back

twotoedsloth

#1034419 - 20/02/13 11:38 PM
Well, we might as well give it a try! Can you email me your details and I'll send you the money and my buddy's mailing address.

peter_olsen@sympatico.ca

Thanks!

ef37a

#1034445 - 21/02/13 04:34 AM
Hi Peter,
Good luck with the Terratec card. I had one some years ago, fine but T'Tetec are not helpful people to deal with (my CD split and they could not sell me another). Still, you will just need the drivers so all should be ok.

Re incarcerating an AI: Second hand Fast track pros go for £60-£70 here and tho' they have knobs on they have no effect when using S/PDIF, indeed the FTPRo is one of the few AIs that will run stand alone as an A/D converter. You could fit one of these..
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1974358/art/dynamode/5-port-... In the 2496 slot and so not have a usb cable exiting the case. In fact the pro has inserts on the back which are I am sure, post gain pots, so you would have two extra analogue line ins if you needed them.

Ooo! Meant to say. The MOBO will be neither "co ax" nor "optical" just header pins.

Dave.

Edited by ef37a (21/02/13 04:37 AM)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1034533 - 21/02/13 02:31 PM
Quote twotoedsloth:

I was thinking that maybe a USB audio interface is the way to go, and I could place it inside the computer case, running the cables through the liquid cooling ports (which I am not likely to ever need). Which leads me to my next question: Does anyone know of a USB audio interface that will run coaxial SPDIF at 44.1khz, hopefully bus powered, and with no controls or metering on the device, as it will be inaccessible?

A friend of mine has a Phonic branded interface from CPC that fits your description although it has analogue I/O as well as spdif. I'm fairly sure that Behringer also do one as do a number of other manufacturers.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

kamrai99

Loc: Toronto, Canada
      #1034567 - 21/02/13 05:33 PM
Seeing how you're a Canadian, have you tried checking at Long & McQuade for the 24/96? They usually have some in stock although you may need them to transfer it in from a branch in another province.

I'm sure I saw some in Canada Computers over Chrimbo too.

Good luck!

Patrice Brousseau

Loc: Montréal, Canada
      #1040916 - 02/04/13 02:17 PM
Look at Kelly's Computer.

http://kellysmusic.ca/index.asp

...and Canada Computers like previous poster said...

Edited by Patrice Brousseau (02/04/13 02:19 PM)

Goddard

#1040932 - 02/04/13 04:05 PM
Another possibility for an internal interface card with S/PDIF I/O is an E-MU 1010 (PCI) or 1010e (PCIe), although they've now apparently gone out of production (so stock is vanishing) and current/future driver support is "iffy".

InactiveX

Loc: England
      #1040945 - 02/04/13 06:41 PM
I've had the 1010e for the last couple of years and have found it to be problem-free with Windows 7 and 8 64-bit.

I've also got an as-new 2496 here if anyone wants to buy it. PM me.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5653

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media