Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
J_Naylor4

Serious PC help needed!
      #1039672 - 24/03/13 09:11 PM
Wondering if anyone could give me some serious help with my PC that keeps crashing? I use Pro Tools (8.0.5) and basically whenever I'm playing a project with more than a few virtual instruments using samples, at some point the whole system will just freeze completely, won't respond to any commands and everything on the screen will be frozen. If any audio is playing at the time it just stutters and loops that millisecond at full volume on a loop (nasty)!

I have activity monitor open and it's never using more than 2Gb of memory at the time and CPU is very low, so I am thoroughly confused!

Any help would be massively appreciated as I'm in the middle of a reasonably large project and it's getting infuriating! Put the full PC spec at the bottom.

Many thanks!!
J

Full PC Spec:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 3450
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 10 XMP
Hard Drive 1: Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD MZ-7PC256B/WW
Hard Drive 2: 500Gb Seagate ST3500630AS Barracuda
Hard Drive 3: 1Tb Samsung
Graphics Card: Asus EAX1600
DVD: Plextor PX-810SA
PSU: Seasonic S-12 430W PSU
Soundcard: Digi 002R

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: Serious PC help needed! new [Re: J_Naylor4]
      #1039682 - 24/03/13 10:24 PM
Do the basics. Memory tests, driver updates (including motherboard). Try eliminating plugins, one at a time, to see if you can narrow it down. What you are looking at is basic PC detective work. Once you've got your system in tip-top shape, use a process of elimination to figure out where your problem is.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

cgreivsy

Re: Serious PC help needed! new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1039694 - 24/03/13 11:46 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

Do the basics. Memory tests, driver updates (including motherboard). Try eliminating plugins, one at a time, to see if you can narrow it down. What you are looking at is basic PC detective work. Once you've got your system in tip-top shape, use a process of elimination to figure out where your problem is.

Agreed, and something a friend pointed me towards which was testing USB...as i was running my soundcard USB and getting these same probs with little system resouces being used.
that's a good system, so if you want to not spend too much time on detective work it's a toss up whether you take an image of your installation drive & reinstall the OS. check google for this, techsupportalert has a good article on it. it's a time gamble, you may find the prob quickly (hope you do) but you may find in hindsight that doing a reinstall has saved time. happy hunting

J_Naylor4

Re: Serious PC help needed! new [Re: cgreivsy]
      #1039728 - 25/03/13 10:30 AM
Thanks very much for the responses guys. Done a memory test, everything was fine. The issue seems to arise when I have more than three instances of Vienna Symphonic Library open. So I'm currently thinking there's either an issue with that or the firewire connection to my soundcard.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1330

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media