Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
GRAHAM99

Cockos Reaper
      #1039817 - 25/03/13 09:45 PM
Downloaded trial version.Seems very good!! Now thinking that I could get new pc, install Echo Layla 3G and buy Reaper.Big saving over Cubase or Pro Tools.Is there any catch?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Moroccomoose

Loc: Northampton
Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: GRAHAM99]
      #1039836 - 26/03/13 12:26 AM
No catch, reaper is great. If it suits your workflow then there is no reason not to use it.

A. AuCr

Loc: NEW England
      #1039837 - 26/03/13 12:43 AM
Catch: It comes with one softsynth and no sample library.

If that's not a problem (and it shouldn't be), then yes, it's a fantastic value. Just the native plugins are well worth the price of the entire thing.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: A. AuCr]
      #1039969 - 26/03/13 06:04 PM
Quote A. AuCr:

Just the native plugins are well worth the price of the entire thing.

I entirely agree with this

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ScudS

#1040037 - 27/03/13 04:32 AM
None that I have found. I do get disappointed when SOS doesn't have a Reaper column every month as I find them great reads...hint hint SOS

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1040050 - 27/03/13 09:27 AM
Despite having most other DAWs, I couldn't live without Reaper.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1040159 - 27/03/13 04:20 PM
Reaper is my main DAW too.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

tim_obrien

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: A. AuCr]
      #1040182 - 27/03/13 06:01 PM
Quote A. AuCr:

Catch: It comes with one softsynth and no sample library.

Not really. It runs any vst plugin and you can add any sampler you want (not what they give you).

I would rather pay $60 for a daw and outfit it myself than pay $500 and then still have to find useable synths/samples that don't sound like everyone else out there....

desmond

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: tim_obrien]
      #1040184 - 27/03/13 06:34 PM
I've been using and exploring Reaper for some tasks lately as an alternative platform and I've been quite impressed with it, particularly in terms of straight audio editing and conventional multitracking...

The relatively low cost and high utility means it's probably worth most DAW users having it in their toolkit - not necessarily permanently switching from their main DAW of choice, but as an alternative toolset and workflow. For me, it actually fits in quite nicely between Logic, Live and wave editors for given tasks.

Kev Adams

Loc: MK UK
      #1040209 - 27/03/13 09:44 PM
I moved across from Cubase to Reaper a while back. Absolutely no regrets- just a deep feeling of contentment.

--------------------
Retired, hurt

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1040212 - 27/03/13 10:21 PM
I use Reaper for location recordings, though I return to Cubase for serious editing and processing. I don't find Reaper at all friendly in many ways, but I have no complaints for what it represents. There's absolutely no catch at all for the price.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

A. AuCr

Loc: NEW England
Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: ScudS]
      #1040214 - 27/03/13 10:29 PM
Quote ScudS:

None that I have found. I do get disappointed when SOS doesn't have a Reaper column every month as I find them great reads...hint hint SOS

A. Aucr likes this post...

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: The Elf]
      #1040216 - 27/03/13 10:50 PM
Quote The Elf:

I use Reaper for location recordings, though I return to Cubase for serious editing and processing. I don't find Reaper at all friendly in many ways, but I have no complaints for what it represents. There's absolutely no catch at all for the price.

Same here. I tried Reaper for a while, and I liked it - but I am very used to the way Cubase does things and my workflow was faster sticking with what I knew. It's still my first recommendation for anyone who asks about DAWs.

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

th.v.

Loc: nederland
      #1040220 - 27/03/13 11:24 PM
+1 with pro tools

Exalted Wombat

#1040230 - 28/03/13 12:44 AM
Quote GRAHAM99:

Downloaded trial version.Seems very good!! Now thinking that I could get new pc, install Echo Layla 3G and buy Reaper.Big saving over Cubase or Pro Tools.Is there any catch?

No catch, as long as you have a full understanding of what Reaper offers and what Cubase does. I wouldn't recommend buying into ProTools at present. Wait for Avid to go bust then see what happens.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1040249 - 28/03/13 08:00 AM
Quote tim_obrien:

I would rather pay $60 for a daw and outfit it myself than pay $500 and then still have to find useable synths/samples that don't sound like everyone else out there....

Yep, I'd go along with that as well

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Goddard

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1040253 - 28/03/13 08:10 AM
Martin, what do you recommend for playing the SOSOS sample library in Reaper?

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15976

Hey, it's almost April!

Kev Adams

Loc: MK UK
      #1040285 - 28/03/13 10:32 AM
Quote The Elf:

If I have to go back to Cubase now I find I've 'lost all my chops'. It took a while to get used to Reaper's little quirks, (as with any software) especially with comping, but now I'm up to speed - and still learning all the time. Don't you just love those 'aha! so that's how to do that' moments?

So add me to the list of disappointed readers when there isn't a Reaper column.

--------------------
Retired, hurt

The Red Bladder

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1040291 - 28/03/13 11:02 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

I wouldn't recommend buying into ProTools at present. Wait for Avid to go bust then see what happens.

You shouldn't have to wait long - there are now five class-action lawsuits against Avid on behalf of shareholders for insider trading and making misleading financial statements and the NASDAQ has threatened it with de-listing if it cannot deliver a set of accounts for 2012 by May.

Nobody is waiting in the wings to buy the company. Who wants a company that has written losses for quarter of a Century, sports 42 prestige offices around the World and has more managers than engineers?

Sony has problems enough without taking on such a poisoned chalice, Yamaha and Harman would only be interested in ProTools and perhaps some of the other audio stuff, but at fire-sale prices. Adobe and Apple would like to pick up ProTools and perhaps Media Composer, but again, as both are already in that market, strictly at rock-bottom prices.

Everybody else is just too small to swallow Avid, so the pro users can only hope that Avid files for bankruptcy and the bits get sold off to companies that will continue the platforms, but in a more responsible manner.

Exalted Wombat

#1040338 - 28/03/13 04:45 PM
No need to over-read the immediate situation. Late accounts and the routine 'warning' are not unusual. The class-action threats are just legal vultures. It's what happens NEXT that
will be interesting :-)

tim_obrien

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: Goddard]
      #1040354 - 28/03/13 06:11 PM
Quote Goddard:

The free Shortcircuit v1.1.2 sampler (v2 is unfinished and abandoned)
http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Works great and is dead easy to use but powerful.

(Really wish vember would let someone take over the project and port it over to OSX, I miss it since I switched platforms.)

4TrackMadman

#1040371 - 28/03/13 08:45 PM
I do seem to have problems with its workflow and the way it does things but I did also have those issues with more expensive apps, like Logic. If you like the workflow, it should work great for you.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1040389 - 29/03/13 03:24 AM
I dabbled in Cubase 2 years ago, then tried Harrison Mixbus for a complete change but it was too unreliable on a Mac. Anyway I now use Reaper as my only DAW and haven't looked back since. There are loads of neat features like one track for mono/stereo/midi/send, customisable hot keys etc.

The Red Bladder

#1040416 - 29/03/13 12:13 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

No need to over-read the immediate situation. Late accounts and the routine 'warning' are not unusual. The class-action threats are just legal vultures. It's what happens NEXT that will be interesting :-)

True, but it sure ain't usual! Next? More decline, probably. What else can there be? Service and storage management is the part of the business that is under scrutiny and was always profitable. Now it seems that profit may have been fictitious! The only other cash cow was ProTools and that is being squeezed between Reaper and CuBase, with PT coming in second in the DAW MI market behind CuBase and it set to fall behind Reaper in user-base numbers.

With the launch of UA's Apollo, professionals are now realising that there is a life without mix-farm cards and similar products to the Apollo are set to launch all over the place, from dozens of other manufacturers.

desmond

#1040427 - 29/03/13 02:27 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

The only other cash cow was ProTools

I would have thought that Symphony/Media Composer probably brings in more revenue than ProTools..?

OneWorld

#1040434 - 29/03/13 03:33 PM
Quote tim_obrien:

Quote Goddard:

The free Shortcircuit v1.1.2 sampler (v2 is unfinished and abandoned)
http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Works great and is dead easy to use but powerful.

(Really wish vember would let someone take over the project and port it over to OSX, I miss it since I switched platforms.)

I liked this software too and was almost at the point of selling my Akai z8, but it is a shame he never continued with development as that interface is butt ugly. Nonetheless, it works and it's free, not as if I could ask for my money back!

As for Reaper, I still don't get it, what's all the fuss about? There again, I am more of a Midioid as opposed to working with audio most the time. So I find Cubase, even the basic cheapo versions, very easy to implement MIDI tracks. I customised a cheapo PC Remote and made some Macros in Cubase, almost all I need to do can be done with as remote, can control the thing from the other side of the room!

dbfs

#1040505 - 30/03/13 08:52 AM
Seems to be a poor choice for a hybrid setup using some external hardware. The reinsert plugin got very bad reputation and I belive that the developers are aware of the shortcomings but are choosing to work on other aspects of the software such as the look and feel rather than this. My guess is that using external hardware is not something that many users are requesting. That said, I does stop me from thniking its up there with cubase and logic. Te argument most people put forward is that everything can be customised. However, i would rather use software that places funtion over form. I dont particularly enjoy the look and feel of presonus studio one, but Its much better for incorporating external hardware than reaper. My feeling is that if there is something large missing from software that you wold require then it does not make sense investing time and effort hoping that it will pay off later.

--------------------
Brian Gardiner

The Red Bladder

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: desmond]
      #1040535 - 30/03/13 12:15 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote The Red Bladder:

The only other cash cow was ProTools

I would have thought that Symphony/Media Composer probably brings in more revenue than ProTools..?

The revenue is almost exactly the same for audio as for video products - but that was before they sold off Pinnacle and M-Audio at fire-sale prices. Both were at c.a. 40% with storage and services at 20%.

Profit however is a very different story. Video has turned into a loss-leader for their storage management division. It now appears that costs for video and services were were not being properly booked, hence the delay in filing.

Quote dbfs:

My guess is that using external hardware is not something that many users are requesting.

As for the above post on hybrid boxes with DSP built in, you are guessing completely wrongly. They are selling very well indeed, despite the high prices of some. People are bringing them into our studio all the time and are able to record and edit big projects on their laptops with all the DSP thrown in. There are at least eight such boxes on the market, with many more to follow.

Sibelius19

#1040727 - 01/04/13 09:14 AM
Reaper is beginning to be my favorite DAW. I have been learning more and more about its capabilities and it has been increasing the efficiency and proficiency of my work. It can also play Reason, FL studios and Ableton Live through rewire. I actually have not been that impressed with the way Reason sounds, although there are some great features and options. That's for another thread though.
Reaper is great. As far as I can tell you can keep adding and adding effects and instruments under the same track. I've been able to create some pretty wicked sounds this way. The auto-crossfading capability in itself is quite simple yet ingenious. This DAW costs only 60 EUROS?

Goddard

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: Goddard]
      #1040745 - 01/04/13 11:21 AM
Quote Goddard:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15976

Hey, it's almost April!

While I do appreciate the suggestions offered wrt sample playing in Reaper, I now confess that my question posed to Martin was not really in earnest.

Anyways, Happy April 1st to all!

=G
(wondering if anyone even followed the link I'd posted)

Bogmusic

Loc: North Yorkshire
      #1040966 - 02/04/13 09:07 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote GRAHAM99:

No catch, as long as you have a full understanding of what Reaper offers and what Cubase does. I wouldn't recommend buying into ProTools at present. Wait for Avid to go bust then see what happens.

Mmmm - Sony Pro Tools Pro (they always stick 'pro' on the end) - Sweet!
Or - Google Pro Tools - Nooooooooooooo

The Red Bladder

Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: Bogmusic]
      #1040997 - 03/04/13 07:52 AM
Quote Bogmusic:

Mmmm - Sony Pro Tools Pro (they always stick 'pro' on the end) - Sweet!

On the face of it, Avid would be a perfect M&A for Sony; they certainly have the cash reserves to buy it with the coffee money!

BUT Sony has just got every innovative decision in the past 25 years dead wrong. Games, telephones, TV sets, you name it and they were wrong-footed by the competition. In 1990+ I was working for a part of Sony as a consultant and they absolutely refused to believe that pokey little companies like Avid, Macromedia, Digidesign, Turtle Beach and Syntrillium could possibly be even a mild threat to their post production professional products. They believed in hardware and non-linear editing had to be tied to hardware and digital tape in particular. No PC or Mac would ever replace their flagship 48-track recorders, their massively expensive video editing suites and that absurd mixing desk.

All they have to show for media creation software is Vegas and Soundforge, both of which are pretty Mickey Mouse and with no real market share. And both have received almost no financial backing. For example, Soundforge 10 came out last year and for the first time, had cross-fade editing!

Avid has spent the past 12 years, making all the mistakes that Sony made. 42 prestige offices around the World, when three would be enough. More MBAs than engineers, layers of management that are utterly superfluous. It just goes on and on!

And like Sony, Avid clings to hardware like a drowning child to a water-logged rubber-ducky!

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1041097 - 03/04/13 03:39 PM
Quote GRAHAM99:

Is there any catch?

Depends what you mean by catch. Excellent piece of software for the money, or three times the money. It's missing some things, but (a) increasingly fewer things; and (b) very little that most people would miss or notice. Eg. there's no Melodyne/Variaudio equivalent (that's the big expensive addition I'd want if relying solely on Reaper for DAW work); the audio warp functionality is a bit labour-intensive, there's no support for VST 3 plug-ins...

But... it also gives you some things that many other DAWs don't — eg dynamic automation, complex routing options, wet/dry blend control on a per-insert basis, ability to run off a USB drive instead of the system drive etc.

So it's certainly a DAW that stands comparison with Logic, PT, Cubase etc, just with different pros and cons from those for each potential user. Like any DAW, you will need to invest a certain amount of time in learning the most effective and efficient ways of using it. I did that... and decided to go back to Cubase & PT. Others did it and made the leap either part way or went the whole hog and dumped their previous DAWs. Only you can really make the decision...

NathanRice411

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Cockos Reaper new [Re: ScudS]
      #1050737 - 01/06/13 12:08 AM
Quote ScudS:

You said it brother. I totally agree

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 6913

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media