Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Agharta

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins
      #1040555 - 30/03/13 06:06 PM
There used to be a forum for deals but no longer so I’ll post it here.
Use this code for an extra £3 off which brings it down to £37 with free postage:
AWINDIS7

http://www.maplin.co.uk/audiophile-2496-4-in-4-out-audio-card-with-midi-and-digital-i-o- 224756

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Agharta

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins new [Re: Agharta]
      #1040567 - 30/03/13 09:47 PM
Try this instead - Link

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1040568 - 30/03/13 10:27 PM
Thanks A!
I have reserved one and will pick it up Monday.

The sad part of all this is that this seems the death knell of M-Audio PCI production. I would bet there will be no Win 8 support for the cards. Some of you might recall I tried to buy an AP192 in UK with no joy. This card will give me a chance to try 4 in 4 out sync'ed. I know some have said it does not work that well but I shall give it a shot! If it works it will be most useful to swop tracks to and from my Teac A3440.

Dave.

ef37a

#1040612 - 31/03/13 12:34 PM
"Don't buy unless you have older motherboards. PCI on newer motherboards is a kludge: PCIe is implemented in hardware, but PCI only emulated from the PCIe bus." (from another place)

Is that ^ a bother? I can see it might be for an old gazillion track RME card but 2 annie's plus SPID plus MIDI and 96k top whack?

Dave.

Goddard

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins new [Re: ef37a]
      #1040627 - 31/03/13 02:50 PM
It seems to depend upon the particular motherboard and interface card.

The "bridged" PCI on recent motherboards using Intel socket 1155 (Sandy and Ivy Bridge) chipsets lacking "native" PCI support has been problematic for many PCI interface cards. In some cases a card just won't work, in other cases a card works but with degraded performance, and in a few cases a card works just fine.

Intel do still offer some current SB/IB desktop chipsets with native PCI (B65/75, Q67/77) though.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1040910 - 02/04/13 01:55 PM
Quote ef37a:

"Don't buy unless you have older motherboards. PCI on newer motherboards is a kludge: PCIe is implemented in hardware, but PCI only emulated from the PCIe bus." (from another place)

Is that ^ a bother? I can see it might be for an old gazillion track RME card but 2 annie's plus SPID plus MIDI and 96k top whack?

I always found M-audio to be the biggest arris in these regards. If you have one in the currently that works however then a second shouldn't be a big deal. Also most win7 drivers work perfectly fine in win8 so the might be more legs in this than you think.

(not an promise that it'll work, but worth a punt if you need the options)

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

ef37a

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1040913 - 02/04/13 02:13 PM
Thanks Pete,
Can I prevail further upon your good nature?
I intend to install the card and use two of them for 4 in 4 out sync'ed but I am not sure what will happen on boot up(do I/will it run drivers again?) or what the control panel will do/look like?

If there is a link to any information about this I should be most grateful.

Dave.

Moroccomoose

Loc: Northampton
      #1040920 - 02/04/13 02:35 PM
I run 2 Delta 1010s (Breakout box versions) in Win 8 with the Win7 drivers with out too much hassle, I do get the occasional Win8 blue screen crash but I'm not doing anything too serious with them, so doesn't worry me too much.

Crashes occur if the buffer is too small or when I change the buffer size (typically down to improve latency) from the delta control panel and Cubase is running. It is normally fine, but if it does crash, that is when it seems to happen. (Setting the 'release drivers when Cubase window not active' option helps)

BTW I'm running Cubase 4AI - so there could be a bit of 32 bit/ 64bit incompatibility going on too. Hoping to get Cubase Artist 7 shortly which may bring with it better Win 8 stability.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1041154 - 03/04/13 07:23 PM
Quote ef37a:

Thanks Pete,
Can I prevail further upon your good nature?
I intend to install the card and use two of them for 4 in 4 out sync'ed but I am not sure what will happen on boot up(do I/will it run drivers again?) or what the control panel will do/look like?

If there is a link to any information about this I should be most grateful.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

As long as the 2496 has multi-client drivers then you'll simply need to connect the S/PDIF output of the first to the S/PDIF input of the second, run the first as Master (internal clock) and the second as Slave (external clock) and you should be fine

Most muti-client drivers that I remember tend to provide drop-down menus so you can choose which card you're currently controlling in the Control Panel.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1041217 - 04/04/13 08:47 AM
Thanks Martin, its been a while since I've had my hands on a pair of Deltas but I recall that once the second one is inserted it should just enumerate itself with the drivers already installed for the first one althrough worst case senario would be it asking for the driver setup to be run through again. Either way it should be fairly stright forward and I do recall multicard assignments being accessable via the standard M-Audio control panel so the shouldn't be anything major in the process to cause any issues.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Goddard

#1041252 - 04/04/13 10:37 AM
Is syncing multiple M-Audio cards even still possible (except perhaps 2 cards connected via S/PDIF)? Iirc, they mungled that capability in their Windows drivers along the way (along with the wordclock i/o on the 1010?). Used to be that you could install up to 4 cards, but dunno about now.

Of course, used to be that they bundled Logic for Windows with M-Audio cards, so...

Edited by Goddard (04/04/13 10:43 AM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins new [Re: Goddard]
      #1041335 - 04/04/13 02:20 PM
lol... errr. Good question. Last time I did it with two cards was possibly on XP and I can recall setting up a 4 card rig for someone once with no issues.

You Win 7 comment through could be well deserved. I recall seeing the function was still in there but I don't recall ever trying it out on that platform.

I think I'm going to close this thread with "YMMV" and leave it there

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

ef37a

#1041347 - 04/04/13 03:11 PM
Thanks Pete et al.
I am running XP Home on the relavent PC so all should be cool!

I hope to rig it at the weekend but want to build a breakout box first.

Will report back.
Dave.

ef37a

#1041927 - 07/04/13 09:46 PM
Well they are in and running...Sort of!
I had to run the install disk and uninstall everything since the driver install stopped asking for a "Delta sys" file which apparently was not in the original drivers that had been working this 4 years!
Reboot and then the drivers run twice. Played a song in Sam se8 (my default, always bloody works, DAW) and I had replay on delta 1/2 and on delta 1/2, 2, on different channels of my monitoring mixer. So far. So cool. But, I only have one control panel. I cannot set sample rates, bit depths, S/PDIF routing, latency or jack else on one of the cards and at the mo' I can't tell which card the visible control panel refers to!
"Properties" reports one card in PCI slot 9 (PCI bus 2, device 5,function 0) The other: PCI slot 10 (PCI bus 2, device 6, function 0) Is that all ok please?

Dave.

ef37a

#1041949 - 08/04/13 05:45 AM
Quote ef37a:

Well they are in and running...Sort of!
I had to run the install disk and uninstall everything since the driver install stopped asking for a "Delta sys" file which apparently was not in the original drivers that had been working this 4 years!
Reboot and then the drivers run twice. Played a song in Sam se8 (my default, always bloody works, DAW) and I had replay on delta 1/2 and on delta 1/2, 2, on different channels of my monitoring mixer. So far. So cool. But, I only have one control panel. I cannot set sample rates, bit depths, S/PDIF routing, latency or jack else on one of the cards and at the mo' I can't tell which card the visible control panel refers to!
"Properties" reports one card in PCI slot 9 (PCI bus 2, device 5,function 0) The other: PCI slot 10 (PCI bus 2, device 6, function 0) Is that all ok please?

Dave.

Doh! There is a box marked hash AP1, AP2 etc! I have linked the cards via SPDIF but find card 2 gives me only right channel and sounds weird, sort of out of phase. More investigation tonight!

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1042114 - 08/04/13 04:47 PM
Oh dear Dave - I should have posted this screenshot for you that I made for my SOS review of the Audiophile 2496 in 2001

There you are - the #1 to #4 AP where you choose which to control of the four possible AudioPhile cards you may have installed is on the right hand side

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ef37a

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI, £37 delivered at Maplins new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1042130 - 08/04/13 05:39 PM
Thanks Martin,

Yeah, as you see the Old Fool got there in the end!

Y'know? I have had two cards now for about 4 yrs in two computers and I am STILL not all that sure what all that panel means! THEN! They go and change it!

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4538

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media