Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dynamic Mike

3 quick Laptop Questions
      #1044569 - 22/04/13 11:25 PM
I've very kindly been offered a new laptop for free! It's a Toshiba satellite with an i3 and Windows 7 64 bit, about a year old but virtually unused. I don't intend to use it for recording as such, but it should be great for transporting stuff around to monitor on Cubase 6.5 in different environments. Nothing serious, just project stuff. However 3 questions spring to mind.

Will I be okay using a cheap Alesis or Behringer interface to give me USB to line out to connect to my hi-fi amp etc? I'm guessing latency won't be an issue here since I'm not recording anything. Also I record at 44.1 & 24 bit but I'm presuming 16 bit converters will be okay for monitoring the output as it will already be dithered.

Will it play audio/midi files directly from a USB stick, or would it be better saved to the hard drive?

Finally does it matter that I'm using Windows 7 32 bit on my main DAW? Can I just install 32 bit Cubase on 64 bit windows. The only non native plug-ins I use are iZotope Ozone & Nectar.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: 3 quick Laptop Questions new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1044587 - 23/04/13 06:36 AM
You'll be fine on all counts.

Install VLC player to have an easier life - it will play virtually anything.

It's arguable how important an audio interface is for simple messing around. When I'm using my laptop for gaming, or entertainment I just run the headphone output to my hi-fi amp. Obviously, if you aspire to higher things, or want surround capabilities, then an audio interface of some description will be advisable.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Dynamic Mike

#1044702 - 23/04/13 04:44 PM
Thanks, I'm actually quite excited at the prospect now!

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1044714 - 23/04/13 06:26 PM
Ah.....You will probably find the combination of Cubase, W7 and a Behringer UCA 222/202 is not one made in heaven.

I am sure it CAN be made to work but be prepared for some faffing about. I in fact have a works Toshi satellite, bit older than yours perhaps, acursed with Vista Business. That runs a 202 fine but I cannot try Cubase. Samplitude SE8 is ok but then Sam 8 works on anything!

And FYI anybody that needs to know, the KA6 is also fine on Blista!

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1345

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media