Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Wheelie
member


Joined: 29/05/02
Posts: 21
is it worth waiting for Haswell to upgrade?
      #1045875 - 30/04/13 12:55 PM
I'm needing to upgrade my 4 year old DAW computer.....

Do you think its worth waiting for the new intel processors to come out? Haswell and the new socket LGA 1150... I'm not completely up on the new technology and if it would be significantly faster, or does the 22nm chip architecture already available mean that there wouldn't be much difference?

I know to upgrade or not is usually answered with, if you need it now then buy it now, but I'm in the middle of a couple of projects and am looking towards upgrading in downtime in about a months time, so just asking the question as I don't fully know what current setup speeds are like and if the difference between Haswell and what is currently available is small....

Martin has a paragraph or 2 occasionally in SOS PC notes about upgrading, but I haven't noticed any info of late....


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scramble
active member


Joined: 11/09/02
Posts: 2171
Re: is it worth waiting for Haswell to upgrade? new [Re: Wheelie]
      #1045885 - 30/04/13 01:15 PM
Haswell was expected to be anywhere between 5-15% faster. Some preliminary reports suggest it's very much faster in regard to audio, but we don't know for sure yet, and there are heat issues that need to be sorted out.

See here

Intel has now announced that Haswell will be officially unveiled on June 3. I don't know if that's also the date they become available for sale. The quad-cores should be available first up.

If you can wait 2-4 months then I would wait, but even then there's a small risk that early boards with Haswell will have unexpected issues as happened with Sandybridge.

Peter Kaine and the other system builders on this forum might be able to tell us more now that Intel has announced Haswell's unveiling date, but it depends on what their non-disclosure agreements lets them say.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wheelie
member


Joined: 29/05/02
Posts: 21
Re: is it worth waiting for Haswell to upgrade? new [Re: Scramble]
      #1046107 - 01/05/13 12:32 PM
thank you for your reply scramble, this was exactly the sort of info i was looking for....


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Agharta



Joined: 30/10/04
Posts: 498
Re: is it worth waiting for Haswell to upgrade? new [Re: Wheelie]
      #1046147 - 01/05/13 04:52 PM
I’d wait until June 4th and see if they are officially benchmarked then and also to see when the actual availability will be.
If you don’t upgrade very often it’s generally worth waiting a month or so for the new platform.
The main downside of buying into a new platform around launch time are these:

The motherboards BIOS’s can be a bit flaky although the odds are slim that you will actually have a serious problem.
The same goes for drivers but less so.
The choice of motherboards is relatively small and the prices are high. CPUs prices at launch tend to be fairly similar to the outgoing platform.
There is a bug in the chipset for the new platform but it’s not serious enough to delay the launch although a new revision will arrive soon. It affects certain USB 3.0 storage device when the system resumes from sleep if you had certain file types located on such a drive in use when entering sleep. It’s a very minor bug.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Goddard



Joined: 04/04/12
Posts: 949
Re: is it worth waiting for Haswell to upgrade? new [Re: Agharta]
      #1046192 - 01/05/13 09:44 PM
Quote Agharta:

There is a bug in the chipset for the new platform but it’s not serious enough to delay the launch although a new revision will arrive soon. It affects certain USB 3.0 storage device when the system resumes from sleep if you had certain file types located on such a drive in use when entering sleep. It’s a very minor bug.




Let's just be clear here. Any "bug" on account of which Intel undertakes a revision of its silicon is clearly not considered by Intel as "a very minor bug".

For reference, Intel's Sandy Bridge chipsets ("Cougar Point" PCH) as initially launched had flawed SATA2 controllers, and although it was still possible to avail of the chipsets' remaining 2 SATA3 ports Intel revised its silicon, yadda yadda, B3 stepping, replaced motherboards, a billion or so bucks later...

Which is not to say that there weren't still bugs affecting SATA ports (and PCIe and USB interfaces) in Intel's revised Sandy Bridge processors and chipsets and in their newer Ivy Bridge counterparts, as anyone may see from looking through the "errata" detailed in Intel's technical product specification updates.

At this stage, all that is publicly known about the Lynx Point PCH (Haswell chipset) USB3 bug is from an Intel notice apparently sent out to its manufacturer customers:

http://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/C79FC2E6-6B75-4063-8687-660F...

For anyone contemplating to use USB3 devices with a new Haswell system, it might be prudent to ensure that the system offers USB3 ports controlled by an add-on (non-PCH) PCIe USB3 controller chip, although those won't likely be found on any laptops, only on some higher end desktop motherboards.

Edited by Goddard (01/05/13 09:48 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Agharta



Joined: 30/10/04
Posts: 498
Re: is it worth waiting for Haswell to upgrade? new [Re: Goddard]
      #1046325 - 02/05/13 06:01 PM
Quote Goddard:

Let's just be clear here. Any "bug" on account of which Intel undertakes a revision of its silicon is clearly not considered by Intel as "a very minor bug".



I never suggested that Intel considered it a very minor bug as that is just my take on it. The context for me is that for a bug that requires a new chip revision that this is very minor. No stability issues, no performance issues and the workaround in practice is simple and quick. If it was significant Intel would have delayed the launch. Let’s not argue over semantics.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *
Thread views: 2158

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

 

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

 

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

         

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media