Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Infectus-Guy

Please recommend me a Cubase (to go with my firestudio project)..
      #1047075 - 08/05/13 09:14 AM
Cubase boffins, i'm after a modern cubase (been using sx3 for years) and want to buy something to compliment my new presonus firestudio project and windows 7 64bit. I want to do the usual midi sequencing and use all 8 inputs from the firestudio to record my drums, at some point i'd like to buy another firestudio so that i can have even more mics. So it looks like i'll need something that can handle 16 audio inputs. As far as effects go i won't be doing anything too fancy, compression on the kick and snare, eq on all and probably some sort of reverb. Nothing too fancy there then. My price range is aiming at cubase 6 artist, though would cubase 6 elements do what i need it to?
Thanks for any ideas/advice,
Guy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Please recommend me a Cubase (to go with my firestudio project).. new [Re: Infectus-Guy]
      #1047080 - 08/05/13 09:26 AM
Why Cubase 6 and not 7?

IIRC Cubase Artist doesn't have multi-track, phase-aligned audio quantise. For drums I'd miss that very much, but if you've never had it (it wasn't in SX3) then you may not miss it.

Here's Steinberg's comparison chart: Comparison

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

jtcoops

Re: Please recommend me a Cubase (to go with my firestudio project).. new [Re: Infectus-Guy]
      #1047325 - 09/05/13 04:03 PM
There are things I love about Cubase 7, but there are things which really hack me off, and I'm on the verge of going back to 6.5. Its not just me either, my studio assistant uses 6.5 at home and really doesn't like 7. It is a fairly big shift from the earlier versions.

If you have an E-licenser already, download the trial of 7 and see what you think. The absence of some of the earlier plugins, synths and features (like group send using CTRL) annoy a lot of people.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Please recommend me a Cubase (to go with my firestudio project).. new [Re: jtcoops]
      #1047328 - 09/05/13 04:37 PM
I use Cubase 7. I don't like all of the new features, and I remain unconvinced by the new mixer, but there's little point in going backwards - you'll have to move on at some point!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Infectus-Guy

#1047329 - 09/05/13 04:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys, maybe i might be better going for 6.5 if 7 is a big leap. E.g. I love windows 7, but windows 8 just looks..... well you know! I don't mind not moving with the times for the moment, sx3 seemed to do everything i wanted but doesn't work with my new pc setup. What are the educational versions that keep popping up? Do you have to be a school to buy them or are they an even more limited version? Anyone got any advice as to get cubase 6.5 artist if i do go for that one?
Guy

Hoopy Frood

Loc: Wakefield, UK
      #1047573 - 10/05/13 06:03 PM
Just a note to say that I use Cubase Artist 7, and I'm very happy with it. For what you describe in the OP, it should be fine.

--------------------
I know where my towel is.

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
      #1047576 - 10/05/13 06:26 PM
Quote Infectus-Guy:

Thanks for the ideas guys, maybe i might be better going for 6.5 if 7 is a big leap.

SX to 6 (or 6.5) is going to be a big leap, so you might as well go straight to 7 and save yourself some grief later.

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

dragonfroid

Loc: Saint Pierre and Miquelon
      #1047601 - 11/05/13 01:28 AM
Yes indeed : you have to download the trial of seven ; the absence of some of the earlier plugins, synths and features (like group send using CTRL) annoy me a lot...

--------------------
My blog on mobile and monitoring applications

4TrackMadman

#1047606 - 11/05/13 06:03 AM
Are you locked on Steinberg? Reason I ma asking is because Studio One runs extremely stable on PreSonus products.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

Infectus-Guy

Re: Please recommend me a Cubase (to go with my firestudio project).. new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1047964 - 13/05/13 04:42 PM
Actually i just installed it this weekend to try and do some midi stuff, then realised my old creative soundblaster card wouldn't talk to windows 7 anyway! Maybe i should hold back and see how i get on with Studio One Artist, Presonus gear is great stuff so maybe their software should be pretty good too.
Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll see how i get on with Studio One for the moment and spend the money on some yamaha hs50m's instead!
Guy

Ojustaboo

#1048419 - 16/05/13 01:05 AM
Education versions are the same version but cheaper,

But you need a college or Uni email address to validate that you are a student (or have a son/daughter at one)

And say you bought the education version of 6.5, you pay the same as everyone else to upgrade to 7.0 and then 7.0 isn't an education version anymore.

Personally i find the way most companies sell education versions to be odd. Sure if someone's at Uni studying music etc then let them buy a discount version of Cubase, but I got the education version via my daughter whose studying history.

So someone studying say English but enjoys music as a hobby can buy Cubase 7 for £284 (even if they have just one week left at college or Uni and are about to go into full time work) while someone else with the same music passion but earning minimum wage has to pay £488

I know someone very well paid who lectures at Uni something to do with nursing and has an nhs email address to do with what they teach and sending students to hospitals etc. They get excellent nhs deals, dirt cheap laptops, ms office for under £10 etc.

Still I got adobe cs4 suite via my daughter for less than half the normal cost, Cubase 6 for around half or just over, and my windows 7 for next to nothing so silly it maybe, but I'm not complaining. And now my son is in his first year of a 5 year masters course so I have almost another 5 years worth of education versions left

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2599

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media