Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Maestro_T

Dual boot set up
      #1047135 - 08/05/13 01:10 PM
Hello,

I'm in the midst of setting up a new PC for a DAW. I've finally gone Win7 64 bit(I'm not interested in Win8 yet). I have one of the few multi-io midi interfaces that will work on this OS on order (ESI-MU8XL). And have done a tentative install of DAW software to check things are OK up to this point.

The machine in question is a quad-core 3Ghz with 16GB Ram, Delta-1010 audio interface(Man was I happy to see this is still able to be used!!!), and one slot left that I plan to use for a usb/firewire card(TI chipset). I have installed two 2TB HDs - one for OS/apps and one for storage. I would like to make this a dual-boot WinXp 32bit, Win7 64bit system. This way I can move into the 64bit world and still have access to all of my 32 bit applications/data.

What I was wondering about was a proper Hard drive schema to set this up. I'm thinking of re-sizing the Win7 partition and installing XP on a new partition - same HD. I've done a bit of research on this, and it doesn't look like too painful a process - I could just start all over again if necessary.

If this seems reasonable to you guys, what I was thinking of was also partitioning the STORAGE drive in a 32bit/64bit(FAT32/NTFS) sort of way.

I'm thinking of doing this because, if I am not mistaken the file system used by the two different OS's is different (FAT32 and NTFS), and as such, it could be possible that one OS won't be able to do all that it should with a drive using a different file system - at least this is what I have heard (I've never tried it). I also have a couple of external USB drives that I plan to continue using.

I was thinking of this sort of thing:

4 partitions

1 32bit libraries etc

2 64bit libraries etc

3 32bit storage

4 64bit storage

Does this sound sensible to you guys? Is it overkill? Should I partition the storage drive even if I leave it as one file system? Any other suggestions?

Can't wait to get the new midi interface!!! I still run a "hybrid" set up (virtual instruments/FX and real-world hardware). Shame they don't make many multi-io interfaces that work on 64bit OS's. There are still a few of us "hard-core" hardware users out there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips/advice/warnings.

T

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scramble

Re: Dual boot set up new [Re: Maestro_T]
      #1047137 - 08/05/13 01:23 PM
You seem a bit confused about 32 bit and 64 bit, eg: "partitioning the STORAGE drive in a 32bit/64bit(FAT32/NTFS) sort of way". But FAT32 and NTFS aren't the same as 32 bit and 64 bit. Just use NTFS, both XP and W7 can read that.

Whether you go for partitions is up to you, sometimes people find it useful, but sometimes you end up needing to resize them and that's a hassle.

As for the dual boot, you can install the two OSs on different partitions on the same drive. But personally I find it better (for various reasons), and easier, to install the OSs on two different drives, and switch between them when necessary using the BIOS. Once you have W7 going you shouldn't need to use XP much (but it is useful in case something goes wrong, or you need to do a virus scan from a safe vantage point). But, like I said, you can do it on different partitions if you want.

GaryM

Loc: Dundee, UK
      #1047150 - 08/05/13 02:22 PM
Quote Maestro_T:

I would like to make this a dual-boot WinXp 32bit, Win7 64bit system. This way I can move into the 64bit world and still have access to all of my 32 bit applications/data.

You can run 32-bit software on Win7 64-bit.

What I was wondering about was a proper Hard drive schema to set this up. I'm thinking of re-sizing the Win7 partition and installing XP on a new partition - same HD. I've done a bit of research on this, and it doesn't look like too painful a process - I could just start all over again if necessary.

Quote Maestro_T:

If this seems reasonable to you guys, what I was thinking of was also partitioning the STORAGE drive in a 32bit/64bit(FAT32/NTFS) sort of way.

FAT32 is a file system that stores data in 32-bit clusters, it's nothing to do with 32-bit CPU architectures. NTFS is the default file system for Windows XP and Windows 7 and has superseded FAT32.

Maestro_T

Re: Dual boot set up new [Re: Scramble]
      #1047153 - 08/05/13 02:29 PM
Hi Scramble,

Many many thanks for the reply. I know 32bit 64bit are not the same as FAT32/NTFS. I just referred to both so that more people would have an idea of what I am talking about.

Quote Scramble:

Just use NTFS, both XP and W7 can read that.

That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!!!

I knew (or at least heard) that one of them had problems reading the other - so I was hoping to avoid that issue all together. I'll just use NTFS.

Quote Scramble:

Whether you go for partitions is up to you, sometimes people find it useful, but sometimes you end up needing to resize them and that's a hassle.

As for the dual boot, you can install the two OSs on different partitions on the same drive. But personally I find it better (for various reasons), and easier, to install the OSs on two different drives, and switch between them when necessary using the BIOS. Once you have W7 going you shouldn't need to use XP much (but it is useful in case something goes wrong, or you need to do a virus scan from a safe vantage point). But, like I said, you can do it on different partitions if you want.

I would like to do the occasional virus scan, and I still have a few synth editors etc which I don't believe will run on Win7 (I'll start trying them one by one). Why do you find it better/easier to install the OS's on different drives? Any "real" advantages? I'd like to keep the second drive purely for STORAGE. I was thinking of partitioning it as it would make defrags easier (quicker) than performing them on a 2TB drive all at once. Just do the maintenance on the appropriate partition - and defrag (whatever) the others at another time(overnight while I finally get some sleep). I think I'll just use the NTFS formatted USB drives for libraries and record to the internal storage drive.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm away from home and plan to get this sorted at the weekend.

T

Exalted Wombat

#1047166 - 08/05/13 02:54 PM
Quote Maestro_T:

I'm in the midst of setting up a new PC for a DAW. I've finally gone Win7 64 bit(I'm not interested in Win8 yet). I have one of the few multi-io midi interfaces that will work on this OS on order (ESI-MU8XL).

The Edirol ones work OK. And there's even a W7 driver from Steinberg for the Midex 3 and Midex 8 now. I must dig mine out and try it (not that I need that many MIDI ports any more, but it might make my Midex 8 sellable).

Scramble

#1047169 - 08/05/13 02:59 PM
>Why do you find it better/easier to install the OS's on different drives? Any "real" advantages?

Microsoft's own multi-boot system can sometimes cause problems (although not usually). Also, if the drive crashes then you lose both OSs at once. But no great advantages to doing it my way. (If you do do it my way, get an SSD for W7, if you have the money and a spare HDD slot, and put XP on one of the other drives).

>I was thinking of partitioning it as it would make defrags easier (quicker) than performing them on a 2TB drive all at once.

W7 doesn't have defragmenting any more, so there's no need to worry about that. [Edit: actually it does, but you don't seem to need to run it like you did in XP.]

BTW it wasn't clear from your post but you definitely do want to have a smaller partition than 2Tb for your OS and programs. 80-120Gb should be fine, then you have the rest of the drive for storage and other things. That way, if a virus or other problem wrecks your OS partition, you don't lose all the other data on the other partition. And doing image copies is then a lot quicker.

Edited by Scramble (08/05/13 03:01 PM)

Maestro_T

Re: Dual boot set up new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1047170 - 08/05/13 03:00 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

The Edirol ones work OK. And there's even a W7 driver from Steinberg for the Midex 3 and Midex 8 now. I must dig mine out and try it (not that I need that many MIDI ports any more, but it might make my Midex 8 sellable).

Indeed it would. I read that the Midex had a W7 driver (not sure if for 64bit), but not many of them come up on Ebay. I just figured ponying up for a new interface with guarantee etc would make life simpler.

One day, I'll have to upgrade my aging PowerMac G5's. They still run Unitor 8s with no problem. Don't know what the situation will be on the Intel macs though.

T

Trevor Johnson

#1047192 - 08/05/13 05:01 PM
Excellent advice from everyone: here are my thoughts/experience.

Buy an SSD (as Scramble said), 128Gb min, 256Gb ideal, Crucial, Intel or Samsung, and use it only for the OS (Win7) and applications. Once everything is installed on the SSD, use the Win7 tool to make a recovery disc.

Use a good partition manager: I use Easus Partition Master, which is excellent (the natural successor to Partition Magic before Norton got hold of it). Decide on the partitions and create them before you put data on them and once data are there, don't resize unless you have to and have three backups of everything first. Unless you know what you are doing, avoid Linux based partition managers, e.g. GParted which boots from a 'live' Linux CD/DVD.

I too use the bios to change OS: the Win tool is very clunky and alternatives not much better.

Trevor

Maestro_T

Re: Dual boot set up new [Re: Trevor Johnson]
      #1047296 - 09/05/13 12:59 PM
Just thought I should say thanks for all the advice - I sometimes forget to do that.

T

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1803

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media