Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jtcoops

PSU noise and Windows 7
      #1047324 - 09/05/13 03:59 PM
Hello

I posted a while back regarding a new build PC which was generating noise through the desk. At the time I suspected the case, or power supply or graphics card. Anyway, I have had a lot of time to investigate this and can now categorically state it is the power supply, but only when running Windows 7.

On startup, and in the bios screen everything is silent. On the Windows 7 splash screen all is silent. As soon as the desktop hits, theres a load of high end noise, a bit like morse code, but more irritating. Control room doesn't have to have speakers up loud to hear this.

So, I replaced the PSU. Slight difference, not enough though, so went all out and put a 650w PSU in - noise much much worse.

So, to rule out a couple of things, I put the new PC side by side with the old PC (which was silent) and hooked up the PSU of the old PC to the motherboard and drives of the new PC. Noise returned, but this time I could hear exactly what I hear from the speakers coming from the old PC's PSU. Again, not until the Windows 7 desktop appears, but the old PC's PSU really started making high pitch noises in the same pulses I got from the other 2.

Therefore, what is it with Windows 7 and PSUs? I have disabled power management, have tried different power profiles, have used different GFX cards, tried different hard drives. The leaves the motherboard (MSI) memory (Kingston - pretty high end Kingston too) or Windows 7. Just to make sure I wasnt going insane I hooked up the hard drives from new PC to old PC, booted to Windows XP and everything was fine.

Has anyone experienced this, or found a solution? I am on the verge of giving up, and going back to my trusty XP - it may be slow but at least it was quiet.

Any advice much appreciated. We've been through the ground loop tests on the earlier post. I decided to post afresh as this is now targetted and I know what I'm dealing with.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: PSU noise and Windows 7 new [Re: jtcoops]
      #1047341 - 09/05/13 07:35 PM
Quote jtcoops:

I posted a while back regarding a new build PC which was generating noise through the desk...I have had a lot of time to investigate this and can now categorically state it is the power supply, but only when running Windows 7

I skipped at this point. Guess again.

jtcoops

#1047353 - 09/05/13 10:17 PM
Not the most helpful of responses. I've done with guessing hence posting, and if you hadn't skipped you'd have found why I came to this conclusion. Until Windows 7 fully launches everything is silent. I've tried 3 different GFX cards, 2 different Firewirecards and 3 different PSUs so its either Windows 7 or the motherboard, and when in the Bios and UEFI screens again its silent so points to something Windows 7 is doing to cause significant switch activity in the PSUs that is causing the problem. The same PSU on a Windows XP install is silent, but with Win 7 as soon as it launches I can hear the same sound coming directly from the PSU

Unfortunately I don't have another motherboard to test, and frankly am more inclined to sell the whole lot now and start again with an off the shelf HP or Fujitsu than play around with buying another motherboard to rule out yet another component without something a bit more concrete pointing the finger at the possible cause.

Edited by jtcoops (09/05/13 10:18 PM)

dmills

#1047356 - 09/05/13 10:50 PM
It is probably the interaction of the CPU power save while idle stuff and the VRM on the motherboard.

Very common problem, for all that it really indicates that you have some kind of ground loop going on, firewire can be a pain in the toot for this.

Fortunately the superficial fix is also usually easy, go into the bios and find the place where the cpu "C states" can be configured, reduce the power saving to minimum, also turn off dynamic clock switching or whatever it calls it (Both things get different names in different bios implementations).
In windows, switch the power saving off (IIRC it calls it "Performance mode" or something).

Odds are the problem will go away (And the fans will run a little bit harder).

HTH.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

BJG145

Re: PSU noise and Windows 7 new [Re: dmills]
      #1047382 - 10/05/13 07:56 AM
Quote dmills:

Very common problem, for all that it really indicates that you have some kind of ground loop going on

Very likely. There's a sticky thread about it here...

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=PCMus&Nu mber=222392&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

What audio interface are you using...? A hum eliminator might be the simplest fix.

jtcoops

#1047420 - 10/05/13 08:07 AM
I will check the BIOS this morning, although its a stupid UEFI thing and having gone through it yesterday I dont recall seeing any of the options mentioned.

I am also sure its not a ground loop as I went through all those checks before posting. Also, if I open the case and put my ear to the PSU I can hear exactly the sounds coming from it that I can hear through the speakers. PSU is silent until Windows 7 launches - if it were a ground loop the noise would be present from power on.

Quite likley to be a CPU stepping issue as that I understand draws more power from the PSU, and as soon as I click shutdown, and the blue Windows shutting down screen appears, the noise stops - presumably because the CPU goes idle.

Interface is Motu 24 i/o. As I have the old PC still available, I have ruled out all the cards and interfaces, and even when not connected to the desk in any way the noise is still there - so must be EMF interference that the desk is picking up and amplifying, and it can only be the PSU causing it. Now whether that is because of something on the motherboard, or CPU is another matter, because its only when loaded to Windows 7 the noise starts.

Losing sanity a bit now....

BJG145

#1047497 - 10/05/13 08:20 AM
I may be wrong, but the thing about the noise starting up when the OS boots reminds me more of the audio interface kicking in than some change in power management. Maybe you could try a cheap hum eliminator as an experiment if you haven't already...? BIOS settings sound a red herring to me.

jtcoops

Re: PSU noise and Windows 7 new [Re: BJG145]
      #1047507 - 10/05/13 10:11 AM
That would have been my original hunch, except the audio interface is fine with the other computer and the noise is audible directly from the PSU - when testing yesterday using the old computer's PSU I left it attached to the old computer - they were side by side, cables linked across, my head in the middle of both computers and the noise was coming from the old computer's PSU on the left, not from components in the powered computer on the right. However to rule out 100% I'll remove the PCI424 card from the new computer along with everything else apart from the boot HDD and see what happens.

jtcoops

#1047508 - 10/05/13 10:12 AM
I'll also have a go at recording the noise and upload it somewhere - might make this process easier as its not hum, or earth noise.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1047759 - 12/05/13 01:17 PM
The days of ground loops only resulting in hums or constant buzzes are long gone I'm afraid

Digital ground loops (i.e. ground loops involving any digital equipment) can result in hums, buzzes, scratchy digital noises that are in sync with hard drive activity, mouse movements, graphic redraws...

I still see occasional diagnoses involving close physical contact between the audio interface and a 'noisy' component such as a graphics card, but personally I haven't experienced any such issues since the late 1990's, and Lynx Audio's superb audio interfaces do rather prove that it's possible to achieve exemplary audio quality inside the vast majority of computers.

Sadly, many musicians seem to think that small amounts of such background noises are inevitable in computer audio, but it's perfectly possible with even budget audio interfaces nowadays to completely eradicate them and end up with just a tiny amount of hiss that's only discernable when you put your ears right up against your loudspeakers.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Avinash Kumar

#1047885 - 13/05/13 10:50 AM
Please follow the below steps:

1.Make sure about the room temperature and boot the system. Click the "start" button in Windows 7 type "Power Plan." And click Choose a Plan. Select the "Power Saver" plan. Restart the computer and see if the fan is quiet enough.

2. Make sure about the error in which fan.

3. Boot off the system to minimize temperature inside the PC. Remove the cover and blow canned air into the computer to remove dust.

4. Place the computer in a cooler room, or turn on the air conditioning in the existing room.

If your Windows 7 still noise, go for windows tech support spam link removed

Edited by zenguitar (13/05/13 11:54 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1871

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media