Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sabletones

Loc: uk
noise at cd track markers with reaper
      #1048747 - 17/05/13 04:27 PM
Hi...I rendered mix of stereo file and burnt to CD using Reaper. One long recording dropped into Reaper from Tascam DR100mk11 as a stereo file. Editing means i had individual tracks as individual media items...moving them apart to give silence between what i later marked as tracks for the CD. auto cross fade disabled.

When CD played back there is a 'noise' glitch of short duration....(electronic crisps or scratch on vinyl!)

Reaper forum suggests it may be about CDROM sectors being out of sync with my mark points and gave a number 2352.

can anyone advance this or tell me what 2352 may mean and how it may relate to a normal time code i can understand?

or do you think this is the problem?

the burn process was all done by Reaper using the native (? i guess?) programme on the laptop (windows vista home premium)

any advice welcomed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
sabletones

Re: noise at cd track markers with reaper new [Re: sabletones]
      #1048772 - 17/05/13 07:28 PM
solved problem with image burn software. don't know why...but loads of info included to get into and the magic numbers are there too!

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1048853 - 18/05/13 01:02 PM
Quote sabletones:

Reaper forum suggests it may be about CDROM sectors being out of sync with my mark points and gave a number 2352.

They told you rightly! 2352 is the size of a sector and there are 75 sectors per second. If you markers are not at the beginning/end of a sector, you get a glitch. Use regular CD-burn SW and this will not happen.

Goddard

Re: noise at cd track markers with reaper new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1048866 - 18/05/13 01:58 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Quote sabletones:

They told you rightly! 2352 is the size of a sector and there are 75 sectors per second. If you markers are not at the beginning/end of a sector, you get a glitch. Use regular CD-burn SW and this will not happen.

2352 is the number of bytes of audio data in each 3234-byte "Red Book" CD-DA spec sector, the remaining bytes being used for error correction and control subcode data.

Even with proper sector/payload sizing, you can get still an audible "glitch" between tracks if a CD-R is burned in "track at once" rather than "disc at once" mode.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1049232 - 20/05/13 09:35 PM
Use the appropriate timebase in Reaper (75 frames per second) and make sure that markers snap to frame boundaries.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

sabletones

#1049982 - 26/05/13 05:23 PM
That did the trick!

I only use Reaper to record live concerts and editing of the same.

Are there any consequences i need to be aware of when not using the default frame setting?

How did you know 75 was the right number?

many thanks for that guidance

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1050228 - 28/05/13 03:33 PM
Quote sabletones:

How did you know 75 was the right number?

That's the number of CD frames in a second. I set it as default for most of my projects. If you look at the .cue file that Reaper produces you will find that all the start marker positions are in the form Index01 mins:secs:frames. If you don't put your markers on frame boundaries your CD burining program has to pad out the preceeding track with zeros until it reaches the frame boundary.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1961

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media