Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Exalted Wombat

The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1...
      #1056600 - 09/07/13 11:00 PM
...because it's already there.

A Windows 8 laptop arrived here today. The first I've actually owned, rather than hastily set up for someone else.

It is trivially easy to tell it to boot to the Desktop. The Metro stuff can be treated as nothing more than a big Sidebar, doubling as a bloated Start Menu. Some of the apps are fun.

Don't use the app version of Skype, it lacks screen sharing. However, the desktop version can be freely installed. There's also something odd about the app version of Internet Explorer, but it works fine from the Desktop.

So, basically, most of the shouting has been about nothing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Moroccomoose

Loc: Northampton
Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1056603 - 09/07/13 11:22 PM
Yip, I had no problems with win8 since the beta before Christmas... Even if you really must have the ye olde start button, download one of a dozen freeware versions that emulate it.

Don't like metro?..... Fine, don't use it!

I'm with you EW, its all been a storm in a teacup...just with better performance!

johnny h

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Moroccomoose]
      #1056605 - 09/07/13 11:28 PM
Quote Moroccomoose:

Yip, I had no problems with win8 since the beta before Christmas... Even if you really must have the ye olde start button, download one of a dozen freeware versions that emulate it.

I'm with you EW, its all been a storm in a teacup...just with better performance!

Yeah, apart from with firewire, or certain USB sound cards... then its not so great.

Moroccomoose

Loc: Northampton
Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1056633 - 10/07/13 08:23 AM
I don't have any fire wire gear. But my Yamaha MW10c USB mixer worked just fine, no problems there. My Delta PCI cards worked perfectly with the win 7 driver too.

I guess I've been lucky with the gear I have so far as compatibility.

But I think that is a different topic to 'metro or not to metro' and I agree with the OP, you could take or leave the metro from the beginning... For the main, I never used it, I just set up for desktop use.

robinv

#1056641 - 10/07/13 09:28 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

There's also something odd about the app version of Internet Explorer, but it works fine from the Desktop.

Yeah, i thought that until i got a touchscreen and then suddenly the app version of IE became awesome because you could manipulate it all over the place and i discovered where the tabs had gone

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Scramble

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: robinv]
      #1056642 - 10/07/13 09:31 AM
Is it Groundhog Day?

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Scramble]
      #1056645 - 10/07/13 09:33 AM
Quote Scramble:

Is it Groundhog Day?

Wombat Day.

http://www.wombania.com/wombat-day.htm Actually that is in October.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Exalted Wombat

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: johnny h]
      #1056652 - 10/07/13 10:08 AM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Moroccomoose:

Yeah, apart from with firewire, or certain USB sound cards... then its not so great.

And now we're discussing the stuff that matters, not the Metro interface. Good!

johnny h

#1056663 - 10/07/13 10:30 AM
Quote robinv:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

There's also something odd about the app version of Internet Explorer, but it works fine from the Desktop.

Yeah, i thought that until i got a touchscreen and then suddenly the app version of IE became awesome because you could manipulate it all over the place and i discovered where the tabs had gone

Strange, I'm sure I read "IE" and "awesome" in the same sentence. How can a browser be "awesome" anyway? I thought this was a music forum. Do you any of you guys feel as passionate about music as you do Microsoft browser tabs?

HollowAxis

Loc: London
      #1056667 - 10/07/13 10:48 AM
I've had no problems on Windows 8.
Using it at home on an ASUS laptop. Rock solid and noticeably faster than my Win 7 install was.
USB interface there, no driver issues at all.

Just last week my band moved into a new practice space that happens to have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface that we can use (Firewire).

I cobbled together a PC from old spare parts and installed Windows 8 pro 64bit on that.
Also working flawlessly, now we can record our practices.
The hardware on this machine is 2007 era and it all works just fine, and quickly too.

I don't understand the complaints about Windows 8 in general, and I haven't had a single problem using it for Audio work.
Storm in a teacup stuff indeed.

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1056684 - 10/07/13 11:32 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

The 'app' version is touch-enabled, so you get between tabs by swiping in from the top or bottom of the screen. Navigation without a mouse and keyboard is a breeze.

If you are instead browsing with a mouse and keyboard, use the desktop version. Simles.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

feline1

#1056700 - 10/07/13 12:01 PM
If I might be so bold as to give Microsoft advice:

I would add a dialog to the Windows 8 installation, which gives radio button choices for:
- is this a desktop PC?
- is this a tablet or touch-sensitive PC?

...depending on your answer, it would then default to booting either to desktop or to the Metro start screen.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

HollowAxis

Loc: London
Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: feline1]
      #1056725 - 10/07/13 01:52 PM
Quote feline1:

If I might be so bold as to give Microsoft advice:

I would add a dialog to the Windows 8 installation, which gives radio button choices for:
- is this a desktop PC?
- is this a tablet or touch-sensitive PC?

...depending on your answer, it would then default to booting either to desktop or to the Metro start screen.

They really should have thought of this. So simple.
Would have solved everything

Bern Leckie

Loc: Bristol
Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: HollowAxis]
      #1056747 - 10/07/13 03:58 PM
I can understand Microsoft's keenness to promote the newer interface because they understand something from their own history as well as iOS's current cut through: it's third party developers, and their incentive to develop the best apps for lots of users, which make the platform successful. Routing everyone through the modern interface was definitely a better marketing/strategy idea than it was a good design decision for the bulk of current users, though.

I've been putting off and sort of dreading a shift to Windows 8, but it's reassuring to know it's not all that bad.

They could definitely make the modern interface better for non-touch users, though, for example by making right-click options accessible at the point of clicking (as they are on the desktop, so you minimise necessary movement) rather than at the edge of the screen (which only makes sense for tablets, where it makes sense to present a touchable option in a consistent place) Any news on stuff like this in 8.1?

Scramble

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Bern Leckie]
      #1057044 - 12/07/13 09:15 AM
Here's a story about the latest Microsoft restructure... although it says it's written by reporters from Associated Press and Reuters, clearly it has really been written by Johnny H.

robinv

#1057094 - 12/07/13 01:21 PM
Quote Scramble:

Here's a story about the latest Microsoft restructure... although it says it's written by reporters from Associated Press and Reuters, clearly it has really been written by Johnny H.

I thought that was almost quite reserved for the Daily "we're doomed!" Mail.
I'm still not convinced by the whole death of the PC thing but rather that it's falling to a more sustainable level. Before the iPad households were starting to have two or three PC's - a family one, the kids one, the one the mum or dad actually works on - whereas now tablets can do most of that. But you can't really work on one. You still might need to write letters, to print stuff, to create and produce stuff beyond what a touch interface can manage - so it'll end up with every household having just one PC and a bunch of other handheld devices. Last year everyone would ask me (your local computery person) which tablet they should get, now they're looking to replace their ageing PC or laptop because they still need to do stuff tablets can't. So i think PC demand will bump back up again but perhaps never to what it once was.

If i was Microsoft here's what i'd do:
1. Market Windows 8 showing what you can do in both Metro and desktop
2. Concentrate on showing how well a PC with Win8, a tablet with Win8 and Win 8 Phone work together - sell it as a set of gear all connected and flowing.
3. Ditch the desktop on WinRT, call it something else and keep the Surface cheap.
4. Stop the Office subscription model and just sell it as a product like before, or an app from the store, cheaply, 3 licenses or really cheap for one.
5. Kill off Xbox Gold
6. Reinstate the cheap win8 upgrade
7. Roll out Win8.1 as soon as humanly possible

Above all else they need to appear generous and useful - they have the gear but they seem to have lost their way in marketing and customer connection.

my 2 cents anyway

--------------------

feline1

#1057101 - 12/07/13 02:06 PM
Having a bunch of Windows 8 desktop/mobile devices in your house does work nicely,
although mine is currently scuppered a bit because of bloody Talk Talk (one of Britain's many useless ISPs, for our overseads readers) -
the router the provide doesn't support IPv6, which Windows 8's "Homegroup" feature needs to work.
And not to let Microsoft off the hook, their error messages and "troubleshooter" are completely useless at diagnosing this.

--------------------

johnny h

#1057119 - 12/07/13 05:21 PM
Quote Scramble:

Who says I don't work for them?

feline1

#1057202 - 13/07/13 10:57 AM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Scramble:

Who says I don't work for them?

If you were a Daily Mail shill, that would indeed explain a lot...

--------------------

Andi

Loc: Berkshire, UK
      #1057635 - 16/07/13 02:53 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Moroccomoose:

FW works fine here, the legacy driver issue takes minutes fo fix if you still need to. However hard you try to make it otherwise, Win 8 works well and has some improvements over W7, and the resolutions to most of the crippling problems that some folks are determined to have take less time to resolve than to type about, especially when you do it repeatedly!

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

johnny h

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Andi]
      #1057638 - 16/07/13 03:03 PM
Quote Andi:

Quote johnny h:

Quote Moroccomoose:

FW works fine here, the legacy driver issue takes minutes fo fix if you still need to. However hard you try to make it otherwise, Win 8 works well and has some improvements over W7, and the resolutions to most of the crippling problems that some folks are determined to have take less time to resolve than to type about, especially when you do it repeatedly!

Yeah, that's not what Pete says, and its his job to test out these things.

It certainly isn't mine.

Andi

#1057646 - 16/07/13 03:42 PM
Which bit?

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

johnny h

#1057656 - 16/07/13 04:26 PM
Quote Andi:

Which bit?

The bit about firewire and USB soundcards not working properly. Quite important for audio work, really.

johnny h

#1057657 - 16/07/13 04:26 PM
Quote Andi:

Which bit?

The bit about firewire and USB soundcards not working properly. Quite important for audio work, really.

robinv

#1057690 - 16/07/13 06:40 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Andi:

Which bit?

And yet all the new Scan Audio Laptops are Windows 8 only..... curious

--------------------

Andi

#1057732 - 16/07/13 09:40 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Andi:

Which bit?

You know, I had figured that the audio interface thing might be a bit important for audio work, but I have a FF400 and I have a half dozen or so review USB interfaces here, and they all work under W8 on several machines. Like I said, it took 2 or 3 minutes to sort-out the Legacy FW driver SNAFU - but this isn't exactly the universal doom and gloom that I read about. Repeatedly.

File me under "Perhaps lucky, but it just works"!

--------------------

johnny h

#1057742 - 17/07/13 12:01 AM
Quote Andi:

Quote johnny h:

Quote Andi:

Which bit?

You know, I had figured that the audio interface thing might be a bit important for audio work, but I have a FF400 and I have a half dozen or so review USB interfaces here, and they all work under W8 on several machines. Like I said, it took 2 or 3 minutes to sort-out the Legacy FW driver SNAFU - but this isn't exactly the universal doom and gloom that I read about. Repeatedly.

File me under "Perhaps lucky, but it just works"!

Will do.

But Pete does this for a living, so I will take his advice first.

Goddard

#1057749 - 17/07/13 01:47 AM
This topic is apparently a response (if not a retort) to my earlier post:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1054501& ;page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#1054501

Funnily enough (well, I think so), all I'd done there was to link to Microsoft's Win 8.1 preview page and quote from some info given on Microsoft's own Technet site describing "new" GUI features in Win 8.1 (as mentioned at the bottom of the page here):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn140266

So, if anyone wishes to argue with what I posted/quoted, kindly take it up with Microsoft.

And if anyone doesn't care to have Win 8 forced upon them when purchasing a new PC, they might do well to ask the vendor about "downgrade rights".

OTOH, anyone wants Win 8 without metro and apps, check out Server 2012.

Btw, if it's not already apparent, MS' restoration of default boot-to-desktop and start button options in 8.1 is being done in order to cater to the corporate desktop market.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1057784 - 17/07/13 08:39 AM
Quote Andi:

Like I said, it took 2 or 3 minutes to sort-out the Legacy FW driver SNAFU - but this isn't exactly the universal doom and gloom that I read about.

To be fair new drivers have flowed quickly from the interface guys over the last few months for all the cards that are currently available and work on the newer FW driver (hey, it's only taken 9 years...). I'm dealing with a few guys on legacy control surfaces at the moment that are still cursing it, but I suppose that's the price of progress.

Quote Andi:

But Pete does this for a living, so I will take his advice first.

Just for clarity regarding the USB issue, I'm sure I mentioned this in the original thread but it's really more apparent when you overclock and CPU load the machine, so it's possible if Andi (or indeed anyone else) is running at stock and/or not thrashing the machine out in sessions, that he'll never come across it as it's fairly situational. It's just really annoying me now that I can't overclock systems as far as I'd like too (and we're not talking extreme here) in case the interface then goes and falls over, when it all appears to be down to the controller driver in the middle rather than the hardware or the ASIO. The problem is far more likely to occur on the X79 chipset than Haswell too, althrough due to heat you can't push the Haswells as far as the SBE's so I'm not sure how fair a statement that is overall, just how it is.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Ojustaboo

#1057801 - 17/07/13 09:37 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

...because it's already there.

A Windows 8 laptop arrived here today. The first I've actually owned, rather than hastily set up for someone else.

It is trivially easy to tell it to boot to the Desktop. The Metro stuff can be treated as nothing more than a big Sidebar, doubling as a bloated Start Menu. Some of the apps are fun.

Don't use the app version of Skype, it lacks screen sharing. However, the desktop version can be freely installed. There's also something odd about the app version of Internet Explorer, but it works fine from the Desktop.

So, basically, most of the shouting has been about nothing.

I agree totally.

I uninstalled all the supplied apps and use Metro as a simple quick way of starting my own stuff when my other sw is already running.

One press on the windows key, one click on the app, and its running along with my other apps.

Couldn't be easier and is quicker than using start menu

I really really believe the press are the ones to blame for this with nearly every person I've found in the real world that criticise it, never having actually experienced it for themselves (the few that have, tried it for under 30 mins, and due to what they've heard, never gave it a chance)

I find it far quicker to use than any previous version of windows.

here's my metro

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8291/34db.jpg

If say I have something open on my entire screen and I want to also open FM8, it literally takes under 2 secs, Windows button, click on FM8 and I'm back to my desktop with it running.

Businesses are a different thing altogether but for the home user, it couldn't be better.

johnny h

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1057830 - 17/07/13 11:46 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Just for clarity regarding the USB issue, I'm sure I mentioned this in the original thread but it's really more apparent when you overclock and CPU load the machine, so it's possible if Andi (or indeed anyone else) is running at stock and/or not thrashing the machine out in sessions, that he'll never come across it as it's fairly situational. It's just really annoying me now that I can't overclock systems as far as I'd like too (and we're not talking extreme here) in case the interface then goes and falls over, when it all appears to be down to the controller driver in the middle rather than the hardware or the ASIO. The problem is far more likely to occur on the X79 chipset than Haswell too, althrough due to heat you can't push the Haswells as far as the SBE's so I'm not sure how fair a statement that is overall, just how it is.

So the marginal reported gains in performance are wiped out by the instability with overclocked systems? That really sucks.

The whole windows 8 thing is such a mess. Apple dont' do everything right, but look at how much sense this picture makes for DAW use.

vs

Do I want my fingers all over my main DAW display, which is crammed into a puny 10 inch display? Its so absurd. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

Andi

#1057840 - 17/07/13 12:30 PM
My machines, particularly my main studio PC get pushed but are not overlocked - I decided a while back that that's not worth the uncertainty for me. I'd rather buy a big enough engine and avoid the redline.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the Thesycon driver worked admirably as an alternative to the Legacy FW driver for me when I needed it. In my case. YMMV.

I wouldn't dream of contradicting Peter, he does this for a living and has helped out a lot of people here over the years - but the fact that a pro who pushes systems to their limits for a living finds some issues does not mean that W8 is a disaster for the general population - even one as rarified as music tech users. To moan about the (not)-metro interface is, imnsho, plain silly - it's an utter non-issue and unworthy of obsession. I seem to recall issues with W7, Vista, XP, M, 98, OSX, and I bet even the old Ataris weren't perfect too.

--------------------

robinv

#1057851 - 17/07/13 01:14 PM
Quote johnny h:

Do I want my fingers all over my main DAW display, which is crammed into a puny 10 inch display? Its so absurd. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

Yes, you're right mate, who on earth could cope with something as unusable as this:

or as un-audio focused as this:

I must be out of my tiny mind. And you could attach a second screen to a Surface Pro and run it just like this - if you wanted, if you were loony enough.

--------------------

johnny h

#1057900 - 17/07/13 04:04 PM
Quote robinv:

Quote johnny h:

Yes, you're right mate, who on earth could cope with something as unusable as this:

What audio programs are you running on here? I wasn't aware of any useful programs which existed for the Metro interface.
Quote:

or as un-audio focused as this:

I must be out of my tiny mind. And you could attach a second screen to a Surface Pro and run it just like this - if you wanted, if you were loony enough.

Yeah, I guess so, if you didn't mind carrying around a second monitor. It would certainly negate the portability aspect of it. Perhaps you could take a more useful screenshot than the one you have there. Two screens of mixers and lots of wasted space doesn't appear that useful.

Exalted Wombat

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: Ojustaboo]
      #1057976 - 18/07/13 12:54 AM
Quote Ojustaboo:

I uninstalled all the supplied apps and use Metro as a simple quick way of starting my own stuff when my other sw is already running.

YEah. Microsoft are so keen on the "app" concept, but all we really want is to be rid of them, or at least hide them :-)

robinv

#1058003 - 18/07/13 07:51 AM
Quote johnny h:

Perhaps you could take a more useful screenshot than the one you have there. Two screens of mixers and lots of wasted space doesn't appear that useful.

You're amazing! I give up - can someone get me a Mac please.

--------------------

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1058094 - 18/07/13 12:33 PM
Quote robinv:

Quote johnny h:

Perhaps you could take a more useful screenshot than the one you have there. Two screens of mixers and lots of wasted space doesn't appear that useful.

You're amazing! I give up - can someone get me a Mac please.

Do you want fries with that?

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1058273 - 19/07/13 01:46 PM
I still hate this OS. I just had to resort to Google just to figure out how to restart the damn thing.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-restart-log...

So...I have to use Win+C to open the "Charms" menu, then click "Settings" (?), then click "Power".

I see "Update and restart". No option to restart without updating. So now I'm sitting here typing this while waiting for the thing to install these updates that I don't want or need...

Andi

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: BJG145]
      #1058286 - 19/07/13 03:52 PM
Pop the cursor to the bottom right of the screen and the charms pane will open.

What update options do you have? - I have Windows notify me of updates then manually download and install and I don't recall seeing what you describe unless there has been an update run that has stated that it needs a restart to complete - and I'm pretty sure W7 and XP did that too.

A.

--------------------

robinv

Re: The desktop doesn't HAVE to come back in Windows 8.1... new [Re: BJG145]
      #1058290 - 19/07/13 04:01 PM
Quote BJG145:

I still hate this OS. I just had to resort to Google just to figure out how to restart the damn thing.

Alt - F4 has worked for decades and still does for shutdown/restart

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 9934

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media