Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Audio Interface/Soundcard ?
      #1056835 - 11/07/13 08:11 AM
I need a soundcard that is PCIe (some of you will know my old EMU 0404 PCI won't run on this machine) but also an audio interface for inputting audio to an ipad. Is there anything out there reasonable priced (not more than say £200) that would do the job of both which would be an external box that would plug into the PC via USB instead of the card slot ? I am out of touch with today's options I am afraid. Obviously it would need to be midi for using the ipad's synths alongside Cubase/Reaper.

Cheers.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Audio Interface/Soundcard ? new [Re: Marbury]
      #1056856 - 11/07/13 09:46 AM
USB interface wise you want something class compliant if you want to use it with the iPad via the camera kit and it'll need to be powered off an adaptor or at least a powered USB hub as the pad itself won't supply enough voltage. Within your budget both the NI KA6 (on the lastest firmware) and the Focusrite Scarletts should work fine with the iPad.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

Marbury

Re: Audio Interface/Soundcard ? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1056875 - 11/07/13 10:46 AM
Thanks. I like the NI rig. All I need is the input and output digital to run through my Yamaha AW4416 digital desk as well as midi which it does.

--------------------

Marbury

#1057008 - 12/07/13 12:18 AM
One more question: would the NI 6 be equal in quality to the EMU 0404 with it being USB ?

--------------------

robinv

Re: Audio Interface/Soundcard ? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1057025 - 12/07/13 07:30 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Within your budget both the NI KA6 (on the lastest firmware) and the Focusrite Scarletts should work fine with the iPad.

Really? I didn't know that.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1057036 - 12/07/13 09:03 AM
Quote Marbury:

One more question: would the NI 6 be equal in quality to the EMU 0404 with it being USB ?

It's a far newer unit so certainly I'd hope so, it'll do what you require more than fine and I've never heard anyone complain about the sound you can get in and out of it.

Quote robinv:

Quote Pete Kaine:

Within your budget both the NI KA6 (on the lastest firmware) and the Focusrite Scarletts should work fine with the iPad.

Really? I didn't know that.

Tom's had the KA6 hooked up for a demo we did a while back, so I've seen that working. I've not tried the Scarlets but they made a hoopla about them being class compliant a while back so that should indicate that they'd do the job.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

Marbury

#1057042 - 12/07/13 09:11 AM
I am still a bit sore that I can't use my PCI Emu in a PCIe slot, having to fork out again but it's nice that it is portable for possible live work with the ipad.

Dawsons are doing the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 for £199. Looks the same but more outputs. Worth the extra tenner over the NI ?

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (12/07/13 09:22 AM)

Dee

Loc: IRELAND
      #1057096 - 12/07/13 01:47 PM
This may just have been due to my setup, so I can only offer a personal opinion.........

I bought the Scarlett 18i8 from SCAN (fantastic service and delivery), however I wasn't pleased with the performance of the unit with my set up (i7,12gb ram, windows7).

I returned the unit (again, no problem with Scan who have issued a refund already - I take great care in opening packaging and repackaging goods, so always be aware of this).

I have bought the Native Instruments Komplete audio 6 and tried it last night for the first time. Granted, it was only a quick setup to try............I am really impressed by it. Much more than the Scarlett. Performance was much better on my system and the pre amps were nice too. For such a well priced unit I must say I am delighted with it and would highly recommend it from my initial try.

--------------------
Hail Hail and up the VSTs

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1057099 - 12/07/13 01:55 PM
Depends if you need the extra outputs. It is Firewire bare in mind.

*edit* I find myself agreeing strongly with Dee above on multiple points, good to hear your happy with the experience and getting to try out a few options.

--------------------

Edited by Pete Kaine (12/07/13 02:02 PM)

Dee

#1057100 - 12/07/13 02:06 PM
Cheers Pete.

--------------------

Marbury

#1057108 - 12/07/13 03:01 PM
Komplete audio 6 it is then :-)

--------------------

Marbury

#1057116 - 12/07/13 05:01 PM
Oops, forgot to say thanks for your help folks.

--------------------

darrylonguitar

#1057121 - 12/07/13 05:31 PM
Sounds like you have things sorted, but I've heard nothing but good things about the KA6. I also had a bad experience with the Scarlet 18i6 in the past. I was trying it with a very weak notebook computer by today's standards, but a NI Guitar Rig Mobile I/O worked fine on the same system. Others have fine results with Focusrite stuff, so it could be very dependent on specific computer rigs.

I wanted the extra I/O and lowest possible latency with soft synths, so I shelled out for the RME Babyface in my current rig and couldn't be happier. That's a whole different class of interface and price point though. If I didn't want to mic up a full drum kit, the KA6 would likely have been the top of my list based on all the forum discussions I've trolled.

Dee

#1057124 - 12/07/13 06:04 PM
Glad you made your decision Marbury, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Yeah, as above for the price the NI KA6 seems to punch well above it's weight. The unit itself is also nice and sturdy, it is powered only by USB2 but I have found my headphones are fine through it. Certainly won't blow your ears off but more than enough juice for a decent level.

The RME babyface and the RME HDSP AIO were on my list to try next if the KA6 disappointed. As it stands I think I'll get a nice performance out of this audio interface for a while yet and in the future will look again at the RME Babyface or HDSP AIO.

But to repeat, for the money it does seem a no brainer to get a well constructed, all-in-one unit with a good performance. The old saying of "you get what you pay for" certainly doesn't apply here........I think I've got a bit more!!

--------------------

Phunky

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Re: Audio Interface/Soundcard ? new [Re: Dee]
      #1057138 - 12/07/13 07:59 PM
Could a PCI-to-PCIe-adapter be of any use?

There's one here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024CV3SA

Cheers

--------------------
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Marbury

#1057150 - 12/07/13 11:45 PM
Too late. I have Made the purchase of the NI.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2112

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media