Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Andi

Loc: Berkshire, UK
Possible PC Support Scam
      #1056899 - 11/07/13 12:12 PM
May be nothing but FYI I've just had a couple of VERY pushy 'phone calls from someone claiming that my PC has an infection and directing me to http://pccarencure.net/ with instructions to click the button on the page to connect to a technician. Apparently my PC has been sending their data centre thousands of error messages saying that it has a virus. I was directed to look in event viewer and told that the thousands of message there are proof that there is a problem. They wouldn't tell me how they connected my 'phone number with my PC, and couldn't tell me the name of my PC nor the OS running. Their website is adorned with a US flag but was registered in India in November 2012 and all contacts in the Who Is entry have yahoo email addresses. Paint me uncharitable but my suspicious gland is pumping. The 'phone calls were pushy to the point of aggressive, with lots of "I'm telling you" and "why won't you understand, just press the button on the screen".

A.

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowl.net Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing at The Dustbowl Audio

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Andi]
      #1056908 - 11/07/13 12:40 PM
They can't link a PC mac/IP address to your phone number or vice versa unless you signed up to a service and gave them your details outright.

Errors in computer management mean zip, it's a real time log. For instance if a computer tries to connect to the internet and for some reason it fails to negotiate the first time (perhaps your ISP is slow to respond or the line is bad) it'll log a fault or two. Nothings broken however, it's for troubleshooting in the event that an engineer wants to trace where and when the problem occured.

Scammers know this (and these are scammers, pure and simple) so lean upon it to scare people into falling for their garbage. If you ever get a phone call from an IT support service that you haven't gone out of your way to sign up for, ignore them or feel free to keep them hanging on the phone for as long as physically possible so they have less time to scare those weaker willed in our society who may fall for such utter crap.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

DGL.

#1056909 - 11/07/13 12:43 PM
Seems similar to the Microsoft scam, people phoning claming to be from microsoft and then claming that the computer has a problem (they make you got to event viewer and claim all the errors are serious when most of them are not errors at all) they then make you pay to have it fixed and use something like go to my pc to take control of you computer install software and 'fix' the problem (a lot of the time they are actually installing dodgy stuff on your machine).

Best thing to do to these people if they ring again is point out that you know they are a scam and that the relevent authorities have been contacted, or even answer (if you recognise their number) is to answer 'Microsoft Fraud Department'

Microsoft can't and have no idea if a computer has a virus. The ONLY (and very rare) time you will ever get a message from Microsoft is via an onscreen message when they have disabled a bot net and your computer is infected.

Andi

#1056915 - 11/07/13 01:22 PM
Aaah, I thought I'd misheard the beginning of the call - the original caller did say that he was calling from Microsoft.

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowl.net Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing at The Dustbowl Audio

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1056918 - 11/07/13 01:41 PM
When I am in the right mood these calls can provide a lot of entertainment.

As soon as they tell me that my computer is infected, I start panicking and freaking out. Then I demand to know which of the four computers in the house is infected. They tell me to go online, and I scream 'BUT WHICH COMPUTER? You HAVE to tell me, you must know which computer it is because you found the problem.'. Then whenever they try to scam, I demand they tell me which computer, and start freaking out and demanding to speak to their manager so they can tell me which computer to use...

I can sometimes get 10-15 minutes before they hang up on me.

Other times I'll just say. 'You know that this is a scam, I know that this is a scam, do you feel ashamed of yourself?' That can be a fun argument too

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Silver Raver

Loc: Berkshire UK
      #1056923 - 11/07/13 02:31 PM
These scam calls are very common nowadays.

I always lie, and tell them I've got an Apple Mac. They soon hang up.

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1056937 - 11/07/13 03:28 PM
Had a few of these calls over the last few years. Andy's method is good fun if you have some time to spare & are bored.

My usual method is to ask them to wait while I "Put you through to the computer department".........then I place the phone close to the radio & every now & then I pick up the phone & tell them "Please hold,your call is important to us"

Andi

#1056938 - 11/07/13 04:00 PM
It's all just much less entertaining if they get your mum or your kids and scare the hell out of them - these guys were REALLY aggressive. Ah well.

--------------------

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1056939 - 11/07/13 04:09 PM
Her is an interesting post

OneWorld

#1056951 - 11/07/13 05:48 PM
My mate was subject to an attempted scam, same deal as this, but it was a woman that phoned (the scamee feels 'safer' with a woman?) anyway, my mate went to ask her what colour panties she was wearing, and other such lewd enquiries - Shows what kind of people I kick around with lol

Stopped the call though toot sweet

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1056961 - 11/07/13 06:43 PM
I feel cheated
I've not had any of these calls. I can do a good doddery-old-fool act (friends say I do it all the time).

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Andi

#1056988 - 11/07/13 09:24 PM
Huh, warned the wife about this when she got back from work today. "Oh yeah, I had one of those last week, told him to sod-off"! And didn't even think to mention it! Man as hunter/gatherer/protector has a tough time in the 21st century!

--------------------

OneWorld

Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Folderol]
      #1057053 - 12/07/13 09:55 AM
Quote Folderol:

I feel cheated
I've not had any of these calls. I can do a good doddery-old-fool act (friends say I do it all the time).

I haven't had any myself either. But I am ex-directory - landline is strictly for close family and close friends. Mobile is for the any-old-tosh.com. But I have 3 friends who have had these calls, and they are not ex-directory. The scammers must just get the telephone directory and trawl trhough it

Exalted Wombat

Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1057062 - 12/07/13 10:32 AM
If you play them along, eventually you get transferred to someone who speaks slightly better English to move in for the kill. He wants to get you to set up remote access to your computer so he can install some protection/cleanup program. I believe the clever part of the scam it that you DO get a working anti-malware program, just an unnecessary, over-priced one.

I've played up to this point a couple of times. When it becomes clear I'm messing around I've had this link spelt out to me: http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/ (Don't follow the link if you're frightened of rude words) At least they have SOME sense of humour!

Sadly, I know at least one person who fell for it.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: mick.n]
      #1057064 - 12/07/13 10:36 AM
Quote mick.n:

Actually, it includes a classic response that I must try to remember for the next time it happens to me. It's apparently a modified quote from a character played by Liam Neeson in the film 'Taken':

“I don’t know you who you are but I do know what you want. If you’re looking for money, I can tell you, I don’t have any. But what I do have is a very particular set of skills, acquired over a very long career in the shadows. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave my computer alone, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you. And I will kill you.”

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Exalted Wombat

Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1057066 - 12/07/13 10:43 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

Quote mick.n:

Actually, it includes a classic response that I must try to remember for the next time it happens to me. It's apparently a modified quote from a character played by Liam Neeson in the film 'Taken':

“I don’t know you who you are but I do know what you want. If you’re looking for money, I can tell you, I don’t have any. But what I do have is a very particular set of skills, acquired over a very long career in the shadows. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave my computer alone, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you. And I will kill you.”

And you will risk this fate:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349328/Teenager-jail-making-terro ristic-threats-Facebook-comment-carrying-school-shooting--despite-adding-lol-jk-joking.htm l

I''ve given the Daily Mail version as I know we all enjoy a bit of over-the-top sensationalism.

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1057086 - 12/07/13 12:46 PM
Quote OneWorld:

I haven't had any myself either. But I am ex-directory - landline is strictly for close family and close friends. Mobile is for the any-old-tosh.com. But I have 3 friends who have had these calls, and they are not ex-directory. The scammers must just get the telephone directory and trawl trhough it

Nothing to do with being ex-directory I'm afraid. Just good luck. They don't waste time and money going through directories. They have a bottom feeder call centre in India or anywhere else that has cheap English speaking labour, an automated dialler that has STD codes and then randomly dials the rest of the number, and if the number rings and they have an operator available the call is patched straight to the operator, if no operator is available the call is dropped. The calls are routed via IP using the cheapest possible provider, which is why they are often poor quality.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1057090 - 12/07/13 12:58 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Good God! Okay, so the kid was a bit daft in writing it, the Canadian lady lacking a humour gland or social life just as daft for reporting it, and the local police completely unbelievable for locking the kid up for five months, apparently without a trial!

I'm utterly stunned at such a series of gross over-reactions and mindless panic in the complete absence of intelligent intervention at any point in the process. I'd like to think this could only happen in America, but sadly this kind of thing is spreading as the global human gene pool becomes more dominated with utter idiots.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1057093 - 12/07/13 01:06 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

but sadly this kind of thing is spreading as the global human gene pool becomes more dominated with utter idiots.

H

There's a movie called "Idiocracy", which is supposed to be a comedy sci-fi thing- but could be looked at as a documentay!

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1057104 - 12/07/13 02:19 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

but sadly this kind of thing is spreading as the global human gene pool becomes more dominated with utter idiots.

De-evolution is real!

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Exalted Wombat

#1057118 - 12/07/13 05:11 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

Good God! Okay, so the kid was a bit daft in writing it, the Canadian lady lacking a humour gland or social life just as daft for reporting it, and the local police completely unbelievable for locking the kid up for five months, apparently without a trial!

I'm utterly stunned at such a series of gross over-reactions and mindless panic in the complete absence of intelligent intervention at any point in the process. I'd like to think this could only happen in America, but sadly this kind of thing is spreading as the global human gene pool becomes more dominated with utter idiots.

H

It's happened in the UK, to a lesser extent. That guy who jokingly threatened to blow up an airport in the Midlands, the girl who lost a silly community job because she used to be mouthy on Twitter... I don't think anyone's actually gone to jail. Yet.

charice

Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1058429 - 21/07/13 09:00 AM
A scam indeed. Thanks for sharing this information. I haven't received a call like that but I'm sure I'd recognize the call if ever I get one.

charice

Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1058431 - 21/07/13 09:03 AM
Do you still have the caller's phone number? I strongly suggest you report it to Callercenter.com to raise a warning and the FTC in an attempt to shut the scam down.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1058492 - 21/07/13 06:53 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I'd like to think this could only happen in America, but sadly this kind of thing is spreading as the global human gene pool becomes more dominated with utter idiots.

H

The thing is Hugh, it takes no intelligence to breed.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Possible PC Support Scam new [Re: Folderol]
      #1058657 - 22/07/13 03:01 PM
Quote Folderol:

Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I'd like to think this could only happen in America, but sadly this kind of thing is spreading as the global human gene pool becomes more dominated with utter idiots.

H

The thing is Hugh, it takes no intelligence to breed.

Which is probably why so many kids have children before they leave school

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 3030

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media