Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Automatically compressing files when transferring to phone?
      #1056927 - 11/07/13 02:44 PM
So I've finally got round to ripping all my CDs to FLAC, replacing the MP3 versions I ripped a few years back. Hard drives being what they are these days, there's plenty of space for them all now. And since this is lossless, I'll never need to re-rip.

But my Blackberry won't take more than 32GB of SD card, and I've got more than 32GB of FLACs. In the car or attached to the average PA, I'm unlikely to be able to tell between FLAC and a 256kbps MP3. So what I'd like is something which will handle transferring music to my phone *and* converting to MP3 (or some other format such as AAC) whilst it does it. Then I can keep my FLACs at home for use with near-infinite PC storage and good speakers, and have more storage-effective files for use on the go with lower-quality playback.

Does anyone know of anything which will do this for me? I've done some Googling, of course, but there are too many media players out there to really narrow the search down.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
fletcher

Loc: london
Re: Automatically compressing files when transferring to phone? new [Re: grab]
      #1056932 - 11/07/13 03:09 PM
iTunes - but that's no use to you I guess.

grab

Re: Automatically compressing files when transferring to phone? new [Re: fletcher]
      #1057007 - 11/07/13 11:41 PM
Not very much. I guess it's an option, but I've managed to steer clear of the Cult of Jobs so far, and I'd like to keep it that way if at all possible.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1057034 - 12/07/13 08:52 AM
MediaMonkey will both convert and manage your library. I'm not however sure on if you can combine the two actions, but it has to be worth a look.

The other quick and easy option if you can't find a better method is "Lamedrop". I leave it open on my desktop configured to output to a storage folder and just throw audio files at it. Once you've selected everything then just drag the whole folder onto your device and job done.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

grab

Re: Automatically compressing files when transferring to phone? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1058531 - 22/07/13 12:25 AM
Thanks Pete - I'll give them a go.

Goddard

#1058541 - 22/07/13 03:56 AM
Are you looking for something which can transfer files into your crackberry, or just to transcode and save files onto a memory card?

If the latter, maybe Mediacoder could be useful:

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/editions.html

grab

Re: Automatically compressing files when transferring to phone? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1058984 - 24/07/13 08:17 AM
Followup - just tried Lamedrop to convert files and put the converted result onto my Blackberry (plugged in on USB and looking like a drive). Unfortunately the first attempt it crashed and died before it did anything, and the second attempt it started OK but only got 5 files converted before it died.

Time to try another one...

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1059038 - 24/07/13 12:42 PM
I don't quite follow that.

Did it crash whilst converting the files themselves or afterwards whilst transfering to the phone?

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

grab

#1059525 - 27/07/13 09:57 PM
The first crash came from simply dragging files onto it. The program just exited straight away. The second one, I came back to it after some time, and found it had compressed and transferred a few files to the phone, but it had since ceased running, and there were a whole lot of files not transferred. (It managed 6 out of about 1100.) I've just replicated the first crash again with the microSD card in a card reader instead of plugging into the phone, just to give it another chance in case the phone was the problem. So my experience is that LameDrop entirely lives up to its name, I'm afraid.

I'll give Media Monkey a try and see how that goes.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1059659 - 29/07/13 08:56 AM
Were you trying to save the converted files stright to the phone rather than to a local drive and then dragging it over? I think it needs to be saved locally first as I seem to recall it throwing it's toys once or twice before when I've tried saving stright to a pen drive whilst converting.

Other than that, no more ideas on it.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

grab

#1059708 - 29/07/13 02:22 PM
Yes, I was trying to save files straight to the phone, so it sounds like we've both hit the same problem. I didn't really want my hard drive to have two copies of everything with different compression, although I guess I've probably got space for it.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1059724 - 29/07/13 03:48 PM
No big deal however as you don't need to leave the audio in the folder on your desktop.

I covert wav's to C:/tempaudio
Copy contents of C:/tempaudio to the mp3 player
Delete contents of C:/tempaudio

It's an extra step but it works fine.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

grab

#1061134 - 08/08/13 12:24 PM
Followup on this. Foobar2000 is quite happy to transcode directly to a phone, amongst its many other rather nice features. So that's all right then.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1061149 - 08/08/13 02:10 PM
Cool, well spotted, I hadn't considered that. Good to know

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3169

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media