Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dynamic Mike

Yamaha/Cubase Mismatch
      #1057153 - 13/07/13 12:56 AM
I've just suffered a long miserable day of installing & uninstalling software and drivers. Any advice & guidance would be much appreciated.

I'm currently using Cubase 6.5 on Windows 7 and having watched Yamaha's 'total DAW integration' claims for the MX series synths ordered an MX61. I dutifully detached everything USB, installed the latest Yamaha/Steinberg driver & the MX Remote Editor software. Initially it seemed to be successful so I re-attached everything and then the problems started. Device manager now claimed I had insufficient bandwidth (I assume USB) once I'd reconnected my Novation Nio interface. Cubase ran fine but it wouldn't see the MX61 anymore. Disconnecting the interface allowed the Yamaha/Steinberg driver to install, but then the second set of problems appeared.

Most notes play fine & I can record midi & audio output simultaneously via USB. But some keys do odd things, like opening media bay, adding an instrument track or changing the program on the MX61 whilst I'm playing. It's close to working, but essentially renders it useless. My old Evolution controller never did anything unpredictable. I've toggled everything on and off in Cubase & the synth and I'm out of ideas.

Also, even if I do get it running, how am I supposed to record any other audio? The only phantom power I've got is through the Nio. Surely I can't be expected to restart Windows & reset the drivers, inputs, outputs etc everytime I want to record something other than the synth? Have I made a schoolboy error here or am I just missing something obvious.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Yamaha/Cubase Mismatch new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1057171 - 13/07/13 07:22 AM
Quote Dynamic Mike:

Most notes play fine & I can record midi & audio output simultaneously via USB. But some keys do odd things, like opening media bay, adding an instrument track or changing the program on the MX61 whilst I'm playing.

Maybe as a first step you could try clearing out the Yamaha USB drivers, get the Nio working, and connect the Yamaha up to that via a standard MIDI lead? I don't know whether you'll get full "integration" this way though. Make sure everything's got the latest drivers and firmware.

I've not come across this bandwidth error and I'm not seeing anything helpful in Google...any more details on that one...?

Triggering unwanted actions with notes is a bit of a strange one...I'd probably use something like MidiOx to look at the MIDI data being sent by the keyboard to make sure nothing's amiss there, and make sure there are no old or unwanted control surfaces etc set up in Cubase. You might end up needing a clean reinstall, clearing out any old preferences folders, registry keys, etc.

Dynamic Mike

Re: Yamaha/Cubase Mismatch new [Re: BJG145]
      #1057214 - 13/07/13 01:15 PM
I've switched USB sockets on the PC and now both drivers are loading happily together. I'd considered running standard midi thru the Nio & using the MX as a controller & multi-timbral sound module by connecting the audio outs to the line in on the Nio. I'm not that bothered about controlling Cubase from the synth buttons anyway. This is pretty much how I used to work with my Roland D5 & MMT8 many moons ago. Progress eh? The trouble is the Nio only has 2 inputs available, so I'd still be unable to record any other audio.

The synth comes with a free copy of Cubase AI6, so I'm also considering setting this up for the Yamaha drivers & Cubase 6.5 for the Nio & then exporting files between them. Would this be feasible? I'll download MidiOx as suggested & see if I can figure out how to use it.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

Dynamic Mike

Re: Yamaha/Cubase Mismatch new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1057735 - 16/07/13 10:59 PM
It appears you can only use the integration as advertised provided you don't require any other inputs. The MX61 is currently on it's way back to the shop. I now have a Piaggero NP31 connected by bog standard Windows 'come as you are' midi drivers in 5 minutes & £400 burning a hole in my pocket...

I could always try the free trial disc of Steinberg The Grand SE3 that came with Cubase 6 but £203 seems a bit steep.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1289

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media