Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
The_Big_Piano_Player

Loc: Lincolnshire
A program to show timed information with a backing track?
      #1059365 - 26/07/13 01:18 PM
Is there a program which displays Lyrics/Chords/Prompts in sync with a backing track?

The guitarist in my band (who's lazy, to say the least), would like timed prompts for his chords. Although, considering our last couple of gigs, I suspect we could all use a couple of reminders.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
JeffB

Loc: Devon, England.
Re: A program to show timed information with a backing track? new [Re: The_Big_Piano_Player]
      #1059469 - 27/07/13 10:58 AM
I think the best prompt to your guitarist would be "learn the f***ing songs or f**k off!"

--------------------
Sonar X2 PE. i7 4770K 12Gb DDR3, W8.1 x64, 2408 MkIII. Cantabile. Lenovo W530 i7 16Gb, W7 x64, 828MkII. Kronos 61, Fusion 6HD, Fantom XR, TR-Rack, E-Synth Ultra, Proteus 2K, JV2080.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: A program to show timed information with a backing track? new [Re: The_Big_Piano_Player]
      #1059475 - 27/07/13 12:19 PM
More or less +1

That's not a gig, that's a rehearsal. Jazzy stuff that relies on improvisation on a structure and "real book" gigs, fair enough but your situation is just laziness.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

TheChorltonWheelie

#1059511 - 27/07/13 07:36 PM
Quote The_Big_Piano_Player:

Is there a program which displays Lyrics/Chords/Prompts in sync with a backing track?

You can use Powerpoint, timed slides, or something like Windows Movie Maker. There are also various "karaoke lyric" packages that you can use too.

I have something similar, to give information about the arrangements, lighting, marker cues etc, as well as lyrics and arrangements, and I'd ignore the comments about being too lazy etc, etc, etc. I play in few tributes that have some very big productions, with deps and stand-ins at every gig, and to fully rehearse them all would be impossible and so the prompting is invaluable.

I export the track from Pro Tools, with the click present too, and I make a note of the rough timings of each part, i.e. intro/verse/chorus. I then use movie editor to import the audio, add all of the cues/notes/lyrics, and I then save it as a standard windows movie. Within Pro Tools I can them play the movie, which will match the audio as I used the same audio to mark the movie, and I then show that window to my 2nd monitor.

It's all very slick, even down to the fact that my prompter is a converted wedge monitor with a 14" widescreen LCD in it, so from the audience view it looks like a standard monitor.

If I'm honest, most of the singers don't use the prompter as an excuse not to learn their stuff, it's there for comfort/back-up and it has saved quite a few shows.

The_Big_Piano_Player

Loc: Lincolnshire
Re: A program to show timed information with a backing track? new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #1060145 - 31/07/13 09:21 PM
Quote TheChorltonWheelie:

Quote The_Big_Piano_Player:

You can use Powerpoint, timed slides, or something like Windows Movie Maker. There are also various "karaoke lyric" packages that you can use too.

I have something similar, to give information about the arrangements, lighting, marker cues etc, as well as lyrics and arrangements, and I'd ignore the comments about being too lazy etc, etc, etc. I play in few tributes that have some very big productions, with deps and stand-ins at every gig, and to fully rehearse them all would be impossible and so the prompting is invaluable.

I export the track from Pro Tools, with the click present too, and I make a note of the rough timings of each part, i.e. intro/verse/chorus. I then use movie editor to import the audio, add all of the cues/notes/lyrics, and I then save it as a standard windows movie. Within Pro Tools I can them play the movie, which will match the audio as I used the same audio to mark the movie, and I then show that window to my 2nd monitor.

It's all very slick, even down to the fact that my prompter is a converted wedge monitor with a 14" widescreen LCD in it, so from the audience view it looks like a standard monitor.

If I'm honest, most of the singers don't use the prompter as an excuse not to learn their stuff, it's there for comfort/back-up and it has saved quite a few shows.

Never thought of powerpoint. Like you, I guess it would be a safety net, more than anything else.

Thanks for your input.

--------------------
Touch & Go

Steve A

Loc: Edinburgh
      #1060157 - 31/07/13 10:05 PM
Although we don't need it now, we used Powerpoint as a lyrics safety net for a while when we were starting out, with a USB footpedal to advance the slides (it's the equivalent of a mouse click).

--------------------
http://www.partyfearsthree.co.uk

Steve A

Loc: Edinburgh
      #1060159 - 31/07/13 10:12 PM
I'm not so sure where the cut-off is for acceptability where it comes to stage prompters. Take the last two big arena shows I saw, Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode - both now use prompts for music and lyrics respectively. Chris Lowe from PSB makes no secret of the fact he needs sheet music in front of him. There is in fact a live DVD of them from a couple of years ago where you can see from around halfway through the set, his rig suddenly has a very impromtu LCD monitor gaffered to it. Apparently the prompter broke during the interval and they had to improvise with one of the screens liberated from the lighting console or else the show couldn't continue!

--------------------
http://www.partyfearsthree.co.uk

Scramble

Re: A program to show timed information with a backing track? new [Re: Steve A]
      #1060162 - 31/07/13 11:01 PM
Don't forget the old trick of painting eyes on eyelids for when he falls asleep.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1731

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media