Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ?
      #1059509 - 27/07/13 06:18 PM
Away from my personal music I create library tracks that get placements in various media. I have Stylus RMX and it has been useful to me since 2005 and is still going strong. I have been looking at Omnisphere as a possible all rounder for getting results/Inspiration quick BUT I don't want to fall into the trap of sounding like every other score writer. I also am a bit worried it could be a bit too easy and perhaps I may become lazy. If I can make the sounds mine in an original way I will be happy to go with this. I would appreciate any feedback from folk here who are using it or can suggest any other VST's that are as good or better for creating organic sounds to layer with my own acoustics. I also create sound design/FX as well as music.

Cheers.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Marbury

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Marbury]
      #1059563 - 28/07/13 10:19 AM
Well after over 100 views I guess nobody here uses Omnisphere then.

Edited by Marbury (28/07/13 10:22 AM)

PianoPerson

#1059565 - 28/07/13 10:38 AM
Omnisphere is the bomb for soundtracks and much else, and offers an amazing set of tools for customizing, adapting and creating sounds. See forum discussions all over the internet.

Marbury

#1059586 - 28/07/13 12:47 PM
Thanks. I have read a lot of reviews etc but here is a good place to get a pro verdict :-)

--------------------

ManFromGlass

Loc: In the woods in Canada
      #1059599 - 28/07/13 04:09 PM
I want to like omnisphere, the sounds are very cool and inspirational but in my humble it has one drawback. Most, not all, of the patches take up too much sonic space, too much of the frequency spectrum. It's like they were designed to dominate, rather than support. I was surprised by this because Eric Persing's sound design for Roland is some of my favorite patches. They sit well in a mix and leave room for other instruments. This all being said you should play with omnisphere somewhere because if it gets you inspired then you can't put a price on that!
cheers
Eric

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #1059892 - 30/07/13 01:08 PM
For me Omnisphere is invaluable for soundtrack work, although I have to agree with Eric in that a lot of the patches dominate the mix too much out of the box. That said you can strip them back but I'd like to see more simple patches included from the get go. I wouldn't worry about sounding like everyone else though, it has so many patches and expansions available and that's before you even start altering the sounds themselves.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Scope

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Will_m]
      #1059905 - 30/07/13 02:14 PM
Whilst like many I can't fail but to be impressed with Omnisphere, I wouldn't say it was the last word for film-score.
It is too easy to be lazy & let a sound channel your composition.
I used to hear tons of Reason sounds & we all know the "composer" hasn't created the music, the sound designer for Reason has.

I use Omni', but sparingly.
Sure there are some immense ambient noises, good for creating atmosphere in a film.
But these support my own score, typically pianos and string quartets.

Be original, its were the money is !

Marbury

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Scope]
      #1059907 - 30/07/13 02:19 PM
Quote Scope:

Whilst like many I can't fail but to be impressed with Omnisphere, I wouldn't say it was the last word for film-score.
It is too easy to be lazy & let a sound channel your composition.
I used to hear tons of Reason sounds & we all know the "composer" hasn't created the music, the sound designer for Reason has.

I use Omni', but sparingly.
Sure there are some immense ambient noises, good for creating atmosphere in a film.
But these support my own score, typically pianos and string quartets.

Be original, its were the money is !

That's exactly hit the nail on the head. Use it as a tool, not as it's slave. Try and do things with it everyone else has overlooked etc etcI have Stylus RMX and tend to use that in the same way. I never layer up too many drum sounds at once. I do have many great ipad apps that sound amazing but at a tiny fraction of the coast. The only thing I really lack are choral voices because I don't sing.

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1059930 - 30/07/13 03:07 PM
As a Omnisphere user I'd agree with almost everything on this thread - yes, it can dominate the track (as did Atmosphere before it), particularly at the low end, but it also sounds stunning, largely because it calls on the talents of such world class sounds designers like Eric Persing and Diego Stocco.

However, as Marbury originally stated "suggest any other VST's that are as good or better for creating organic sounds to layer with my own acoustics. I also create sound design/FX as well as music." I can't go without giving a plug for Camel Audio's Alchemy, which unlike Omnisphere lets you import your own samples - if you've got some design skills then this gives Alchemy a huge bunk-up in the desirability stakes

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Marbury

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1059934 - 30/07/13 03:14 PM
Oh yes, I have Alchemy on the ipad as a free app. It does sound good.

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1059942 - 30/07/13 03:33 PM
If you're impressed by Alchemy Mobile, then read the spec of the full Alchemy synth and weep

www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Marbury

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1059958 - 30/07/13 05:07 PM
Wow Martin- Very impressed with the range of sounds and for free ! Don't think I will need Omnisphere now. Just downloaded even more free samples. I noticed one of your patches in there too ;-) Thanks for the tip off. You don't get all these sounds in the app version. The only thing I will say is you get some audio clicks when a note is depressed.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (30/07/13 05:20 PM)

Scope

#1059960 - 30/07/13 05:23 PM
Perhaps we should point out that there is a free plugin ( works in Logic X too ! ) to D/L, with a bunch of sounds thrown in.
( Some are programmed by non other than a certain Martin Walker )
If you haven't already got it, go to Camel Audio and get it now, it's really neat !

( Shameless self promotion Mr Walker, but we'll let you off as its a freebee !! )

LOL

Hewesy

#1060039 - 31/07/13 11:42 AM
I must be being dense, how do you find the freebie?

Hewesy

desmond

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Hewesy]
      #1060060 - 31/07/13 01:56 PM
Quote Hewesy:

I must be being dense, how do you find the freebie?

It's called Alchemy Player.

Alchemy Player

chris...

#1060161 - 31/07/13 10:39 PM
Putting the presets aside for a moment, I like Omni for the excellent clear GUI, which is makes it really easy to understand and use the powerful synthesis features, and is loads better than much of the skeuomorphic nonsense so many companies seem to insist on producing.

( happily, all the above applies to Alchemy too )

I also find the multitimbral aspect of Omni makes certain things easier than making multiple parts by opening loads of individual plugin instances.

Scope

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: chris...]
      #1060289 - 01/08/13 04:49 PM
Is this a new trend ?
Are other plugins starting to sound more like Atmosphere/ Omnisphere ?

Alchemy is clearly one such plugin.
I notice alot of the included content in Logic X is also very "omni-like", particularly the pads and atmospheres.
Has anyone noticed any others?

desmond

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: Scope]
      #1060290 - 01/08/13 05:04 PM
Quote Scope:

Is this a new trend ?
Are other plugins starting to sound more like Atmosphere/ Omnisphere ?

Alchemy is clearly one such plugin.
I notice alot of the included content in Logic X is also very "omni-like", particularly the pads and atmospheres.
Has anyone noticed any others?

Trend? No, I think there are just people who want to go beyond what a traditional subtractive synthesiser can do, hence audio content from some people involves longer samples and more organic sound design. I mean, there's only so much you can get out of a static sawtooth wave, right..? Even with crap loads of clever sound design, trickery, modulation and effects...

There are still plenty of virtual analogs and digital synths coming out as well, so nothing reall has changed (expect we are starting to run out of vintage instruments that haven't been reincarnated digitally.)

Funnily enough, one of the things I felt about Alchemy when using it and browsing through presets is that in many cases it reminds me and feels like a more modern Korg Wavestation (of course, it can do way more, but in terms of overall sound characteristics it really did conjure up how a modern, much better Wavestation might sound.)

There is no doubt though that Omnisphere did influence the development and sound design of Alchemy, that's no secret, but they each have their strengths and don't replace each other anyway.

I guess the Korg Legacy Cell also have thick, layered, Korg-like sounds - and the new Logic stuff again is showing off the more multi-layered and multi-effected capabilities with multiple channel strips that just plugin settings and channel strip settings couldn't do before.

Edited by desmond (01/08/13 05:06 PM)

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1060775 - 05/08/13 06:05 PM
Quote Marbury:

The only thing I will say is you get some audio clicks when a note is depressed.

This shouldn't happen - I've never heard any.

Get in touch with Camel Audio and they'll track down the cause and get you click-free

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

JBlongz

#1063506 - 23/08/13 07:19 PM
Omnisphere is great for anything that needs synths, effects, pads, etc. If you want to sound unique, your can create your own patches quite easily. Here's some sounds I like in Omnisphere:Youtube Omnisphere Demo

Edited by JBlongz (23/08/13 07:20 PM)

Marbury

#1068832 - 04/10/13 12:03 AM
Looking at Alchemy, the ipad version sells the extra sounds for a mere £2.99 compared to the £39 PC version. All I have to do is use my ipad in Reaper.

--------------------

Hoopy Frood

Loc: Wakefield, UK
      #1068900 - 04/10/13 12:53 PM
Quote Marbury:

Looking at Alchemy, the ipad version sells the extra sounds for a mere £2.99 compared to the £39 PC version. All I have to do is use my ipad in Reaper.

I don't think the iPad version has the same sound design capabilities as the full blown PC / Mac version - it's more of a sample playback tool than the main application.

--------------------
I know where my towel is.

Marbury

#1068914 - 04/10/13 02:57 PM
I thought if you paid the extra £10 on the ipad version you get all the editing parameters. Whatever, it's a very useful thing to have but a lot more expensive than Omniasphere for the over £500 full version with everything.

--------------------

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1069103 - 07/10/13 11:58 AM
FWIW I love the Biolabs libraries for Alchemy. The standard libs are a little dull for my taste.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Is Omnisphere best for soundtrack ? new [Re: ManFromGlass]
      #1069640 - 10/10/13 09:11 AM
Quote ManFromGlass:

I want to like omnisphere, the sounds are very cool and inspirational but in my humble it has one drawback. Most, not all, of the patches take up too much sonic space, too much of the frequency spectrum. It's like they were designed to dominate, rather than support. I was surprised by this because Eric Persing's sound design for Roland is some of my favorite patches. They sit well in a mix and leave room for other instruments. This all being said you should play with omnisphere somewhere because if it gets you inspired then you can't put a price on that!
cheers
Eric

Eric, this is actually the way we present sounds for presets and demos. We used to be 'told'..ahem...'advised' to make presets as big and dominant as possible for the plug n' play dudes. Strip down some of the efx etc and you'll have some top draw presets to work from.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1069641 - 10/10/13 09:13 AM
As much as I love Eric's work and being a m8 for years I don't want to come across as negative but I would give Alchemy a bash as Oggers has suggested. Far more detailed mod matrix and effects and again I am not saying this 'cos Martin's a m8 but his libraries are the only ones I use within Alchemy as they are unique and different to all the other standard sound sets.

For film, multimedia etc I use Alchemy.
For instant 'drop and play' sounds you can't go wrong with Omnisphere.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Marbury

#1070361 - 14/10/13 10:19 PM
Although I like Alchemy player I have auditioned a lot of the extra sounds you can buy and can't really hear anything better than Omnisphere. Omnisphere I can get for £239 with a voucher code so I may go for this and drop my own samples into Alchemy player for a good compromise as I do make soundscapes and effects to sell as well as music. Though I will use it with caution and not let it take over my soul ;-) I would have liked a lot more world sounds and instruments (bagpipe/celtic/folk/European) but you can't have everything in one package.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (14/10/13 10:20 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4320

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media