Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
DanielBeach

Older sample formats
      #1059918 - 30/07/13 02:45 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the comments on my two most recent posts, which have been really helpful - I'm finally making music again!

I have some old sample collections, mainly "prosamples" CDs, which I'd love to be able to use. I used to load them up into Halion 2 (using the Import AKAI feature), but I had to do a lot of tweaking before the patches were usable, mainly due to velocity being set to 0 on all of the samples by Halion.

What would people recommend these days? Do I need to shell out on Kontakt 5, or is there something else/more obvious, which will load full AKAI or EXS24 formats, with the full mapping etc.?

Many thanks

Daniel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Older sample formats new [Re: DanielBeach]
      #1059927 - 30/07/13 03:05 PM
Kontakt would be my choice. It does do a good job of importing old Akai disks when required.

However, once you have the Kontakt library in your grasp I doubt you'll be wanting to mess around importing those old disks any more!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Older sample formats new [Re: The Elf]
      #1059931 - 30/07/13 03:10 PM
Quote The Elf:

Kontakt would be my choice. It does do a good job of importing old Akai disks when required.

However, once you have the Kontakt library in your grasp I doubt you'll be wanting to mess around importing those old disks any more!

My thoughts exactly.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1059944 - 30/07/13 03:35 PM
True, although I do have a soft spot for some of those old Akai multi-samples, and particularly how amazing they sound considering they use such a tiny amount of RAM

I use to buy them singly on floppy disk for my Akai sampler

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

DanielBeach

#1059947 - 30/07/13 03:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, guys. I love the guitar and bass from ProSamples so am keen to convert them. Kontakt is a bit out of budget though, as I have just bought a new PC and soundcard and, whilst I want to make the best tracks I can, and do work as a pro muso, the stuffI do on the computer doesn't form any part of making my living, so it's hard to justify at the moment!

Daniel

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #1059953 - 30/07/13 04:26 PM
NI have a 50% sale on at the moment

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

hollowsun

Re: Older sample formats new [Re: hollowsun]
      #1059955 - 30/07/13 04:37 PM
Quote hollowsun:

NI have a 50% sale on at the moment

Damn! It ended yesterday

--------------------

OneWorld

#1059995 - 30/07/13 09:08 PM
There are some freeware softsamplers that do some importing, ShortCircuit comes to mind, additionally, Paax2, TX16W, HiLife Sample Player. Can't say whether they import the older Akai programs. Before I bought Kontakt, I also bought some software called Extreme Sample Convertor. That does a really good job, but I was a bit miffed with the maker/seller of the software because although his site is still 'live' he stopped answering support emails.

A free update was promised a few years ago, so far nothing. I think it is wreong to have a site selling products, promising support then ignoring emails from purchasers. That being said I think the software does the job quite well.

There is also Chickensys. I tried that as I wanted to try and convert Yamaha AxK sample programs. I downloaded the demo but it crashed again and again, I gave up with it - to be fair the software itself does seem to be the 'go to' sample convertor, it just didn't work for me.

I got into Kontakt through the back door so to speack. I got a cheap Kontakt 2 off eBay, only about £20.00 but could register it. Then NI had a sale where they were offering upgrades to K5 for about £70!!!, worth every brass scheckle too

hollowsun

Re: Older sample formats new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1060008 - 30/07/13 11:55 PM
Quote OneWorld:

There is also Chickensys. I tried that as I wanted to try and convert Yamaha AxK sample programs. I downloaded the demo but it crashed again and again, I gave up with it - to be fair the software itself does seem to be the 'go to' sample convertor

It's not actually - it's largely regarded as a 'runaway from' piece of software because SO many (most) people have exactly the same problems as you experienced.

CD-Extract is considerably more reliable, effective and easy to use.

But in fairness, you will never get a totally perfect conversion from any convertor because the voice architectures of the different samplers (hardware and software) are all so totally different.

+1 for Kontakt - it's ubiquitous and there is SOOOOO much library out there for it, much of it free, a lot of it very reasonably priced (and the stupidly priced expensive stuff). It's just worth buying and getting over the initial outlay for then you will have SO many sounds at your disposal - even the bundled library is pretty good (ish). It's a bloody good sampler with a pretty much modular architecture ... add different types of filter, LFOs, envelopes, effects and so on. And there's the scripting which takes it to a whole new level (although it IS complicated if you're not a coding preference).

I have no affiliation with NI, BTW - just a user - and I actually object to some of their strategies ... but it's a damned good product and just worth having.

--------------------

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1060031 - 31/07/13 10:09 AM
I got Translator (on a Mac) and it converted my 20 odd zip disk with only the odd bank it didn't like, but that bank translated on a second run. It did my Akai CD Roms and E-Mu CD Roms too. But Hollowsun would know more about any issues there might be with it than I do.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #1060045 - 31/07/13 12:11 PM
Another vote for Kontakt. It's unbeatable.

I have a feeling NI bought the ChickenSys code and built it in to Kontakt...? To attract people moving from hardware.

I do actually like older libraries, and Kontakt does a pretty good job with most formats. I'm still using a 64 Meg East West Fazioli as my main piano, for instance. I've got all of the Emu IIIx library, some gems in there. The old Siedzlazik string ensemble in Akai format is still unbeatable. Mike Pinder's Mellotron disc was only ever released in Akai and Roland format and that's gorgeous, way better than the M-Tron plugin. I guess I have a bit of sunken bias, those disks were expensive back in the day!

I even have Emulator II stuff translated from the factory libraries- torturous route: EMXP -->SoundFont--> Kontakt. Now those do come out a bit mangled sometimes, but only a bit.

Now if someone could write a translator for Fairlight disks, I'd be very happy!

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Older sample formats new [Re: Tomás Mulcahy]
      #1060047 - 31/07/13 12:22 PM
Quote Tomás Mulcahy:

I have a feeling NI bought the ChickenSys code and built it in to Kontakt

I'd be very surprised. Awful piece of software IMHO.

+1 for CDXtract, or Awave Studio.

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #1060400 - 02/08/13 01:10 PM
Agreed- it promised a lot but never delivered.

Awave is the only thing that will do Ensoniq Mirage disks. That's fun...

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

desmond

Re: Older sample formats new [Re: Tomás Mulcahy]
      #1060407 - 02/08/13 01:56 PM
Unfortunately, *both* of those pieces of software have an, um, *chequered* past in terms of support, development, pricing, bugs, promises, stability, usability and so on... I'd avoid them both except out of desperation...

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: Older sample formats new [Re: hollowsun]
      #1060804 - 05/08/13 09:19 PM
Quote hollowsun:

CD-Extract is considerably more reliable, effective and easy to use.

But in fairness, you will never get a totally perfect conversion from any convertor because the voice architectures of the different samplers (hardware and software) are all so totally different.

Having performing a lot of inter-sampler conversions over the years I totally agree with this comment of Steve's - you simply can't expect one format to sound the same as another with a completely different sub-set of functions once converted.

I still have Bernard Chavonnet's CDXtract on my PC since reviewing it way back in SOS October 2002:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct02/articles/cdxtract4.asp

As for Chicken Systems' Translator, when it works it can do so extremely well:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan02/articles/chicksys.asp

When I reviewed it back in SOS January 2002 I concluded that "It does still have some rough edges, and I initially had a few doubts about its stability, but the more I worked with it, the more I appreciated its powerful and comprehensive translation options, as well as being reassured by the rapid response of the developers to bug reports and specific conversion issues."

It can be a life-saver, and was used by Eric Persing of Spectrasonics to convert his Metamorphosis release from Roland to Akai format, but it does continue to attract more than its fair share of user grumbles on-line as well.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Scramble

Re: Older sample formats new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1069480 - 09/10/13 11:34 AM
Funnily enough a CD of Translator arrived in the post today, years after ChickenSys promised that they would send a CD out to users, and years after I had stopped using it. I'm expecting that 'How to Master the Yo-yo' book that I ordered when I was 12 but which never turned up to arrive next!

(I never had a problem with Translator, but I only ever used it occasionally for a few simple conversions).

Maestro_T

Re: Older sample formats new [Re: Scramble]
      #1070729 - 17/10/13 03:11 PM
"Scramble
Funnily enough a CD of Translator arrived in the post today, years after ChickenSys promised that they would send a CD out to users, and years after I had stopped using it".

Do you still happen to have this? If you're not using it, I definitely could.

T

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1071447 - 23/10/13 12:45 AM
Hah! I'm still waiting for my Translator CD update after several years as well

Perhaps mine will turn up soon as well

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3435

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media