Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings
      #1060350 - 02/08/13 09:02 AM
Anyone have a Komplete Audio 6 interface ? I have all the up to date drivers installed but when I turn my PC on the USB light on the box flashes on and off indicating a problem. The audio is lost and the only way of getting it back is unplugging the usb lead while on and back in to get it working. It just doesn't see the unit on boot up.

Is there anything that will stop this ?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Marbury

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: Marbury]
      #1060366 - 02/08/13 10:21 AM
Tried to join the NI forums but I got this reply:

"Unfortunately your registration at NI User Forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted"

--------------------

Mr Rook

#1060391 - 02/08/13 12:05 PM
Quote Marbury:

"Unfortunately your registration at NI User Forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted"

That's because you've been naughty.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1060428 - 02/08/13 04:12 PM
Quote Marbury:

Anyone have a Komplete Audio 6 interface ? I have all the up to date drivers installed but when I turn my PC on the USB light on the box flashes on and off indicating a problem. The audio is lost and the only way of getting it back is unplugging the usb lead while on and back in to get it working. It just doesn't see the unit on boot up.

Is there anything that will stop this ?

When you turn you PC on, is it from a cold start or are you suspending it?

I've seem USB turn off on powersaving (windows default feature) and that in turn will disconnect the interface until your restart or unplug it as you describe.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: Mr Rook]
      #1060436 - 02/08/13 05:49 PM
Quote Mr Rook:

Quote Marbury:

What do you mean naughty ?

--------------------

chris...

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: Mr Rook]
      #1060441 - 02/08/13 07:35 PM
Quote Mr Rook:

You recon the OP "pirated" his audio interface unit ? Printed it on a 3D printer ?

It seems slightly more likely NI have cocked up somewhere.

Either way, given the possibility of cocking up, and the advisability of maintaining good relations with their customers, NI have perhaps chosen their wording somewhat poorly

JPH

Loc: Pinner
      #1060442 - 02/08/13 07:37 PM
I've had one for about 18 months. Never had a problem with it.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1060590 - 04/08/13 10:16 AM
I am constantly amazed by my KA6!
I don't use it very often but I can plug it into say, this old XP P4 and boof! It is there instantly. Same if I use it on desktop or laptop W7/64. Just bloody works.

Now, my fast track pro would "widdle" a bit and be hard to find sometimes and so I took the step of putting the drivers on each desktop and running them for the 2 minutes it took. Then plugged in the pro, 30 secs, up and running. No such games with the NI.

I suspect a corrupt driver? Download it again and delete the old one. Have you tried another usb lead? My box is fussy which of 5mtr ones I use. Shorter than that no problem.

And yes! NI make great kit and software but they are top of the tree in my book for being snotty, inaccessable illegitimates and that's in front of MAGIX and Steinberg!

Dave.

Marbury

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: ef37a]
      #1060602 - 04/08/13 12:03 PM
It did it again with the USB flashing on the box. I did re-install the driver but hasn't stopped it.

So what would be the motive of NI shutting me out the forums when I have one of their products ? Don't mention the war ?

--------------------

ef37a

#1060613 - 04/08/13 01:10 PM
Quote Marbury:

It did it again with the USB flashing on the box. I did re-install the driver but hasn't stopped it.

So what would be the motive of NI shutting me out the forums when I have one of their products ? Don't mention the war ?

Dunno but it is a modern disease. At a time when communication has never been easier and cheaper organizations put ever greater walls up to prevent you getting an answer to even the most basic of questions.
One recent example for me is the Prudential (they handle my pension) cannot ask the simplest,general question without setting up the most elaborate security measures. Who do these companies think they are FCS? A poxy insurance firm not MI bloody 5!....And has anyone tried to talk to a taxman recently?

The thing that REALLY gets me is the "no reply" email. I mean, having at last managed to make contact with a company, what is the 'king point of emailing back to the customerr if he cannot respond!!!

There ARE good guys. SoS is the only audio forum I know where the "owner and workers" actually talk to us, the great unwashed. Full marks to Allen and Heath as well. I had a query about my ZED 10 a year or so ago. They were on it like a Hun on a nun (WELL! 'EE ^ started it!)and fixed it in a day(twas Msoft's fault anyway.

I make it my business to "hack" into snotbag firms and pester other departments. Often "sales@" or the press room can be contacted without 2 emails to register and a password more "secure" than your banks!

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1060705 - 05/08/13 09:04 AM
Quote Marbury:

Are you plugging it into a USB 3 port or a USB 2? Swap from one to the other for testing.

Does it do it on more than one system?

Is the KA6 firmware up to date? If it'll work on an older system and not a newer one then the firmware should fix it. If it'll only work on the USB 2 port and not a USB 3 then a firmware update should fix it.

If it won't detect having tried it on both USB 2 and USB3 on more than one system then consider it could be faulty.

Have you had it working on the system your currently trying to set it up on previously?

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

#1060726 - 05/08/13 11:16 AM
The PC I got from scan has 4 USB inputs at the rear. It is in one of those. I tried swapping but doesn't stop it. It's so random when it happens. You boot up and sometimes it works and sometimes not. If I could get through to NI iron curtain I would perhaps have some idea what it could be. In the task bar there is an audio icon. When I click on that if the USB is flashing it seems to have thrown out the settings for Komplete 6 as it is no longer there. I am wondering if it's a PC issue ?

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (05/08/13 11:18 AM)

ef37a

#1060742 - 05/08/13 03:09 PM
Quote Marbury:

The PC I got from scan has 4 USB inputs at the rear. It is in one of those. I tried swapping but doesn't stop it. It's so random when it happens. You boot up and sometimes it works and sometimes not. If I could get through to NI iron curtain I would perhaps have some idea what it could be. In the task bar there is an audio icon. When I click on that if the USB is flashing it seems to have thrown out the settings for Komplete 6 as it is no longer there. I am wondering if it's a PC issue ?

Just downloaded the update from NI. Went in as slick as paint on this old P4.

Would that their people skills were as good as their hardware ones!

OP: You have tried other usb ports, have you tried another A/B lead?

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1060756 - 05/08/13 04:47 PM
Have you downloaded and installed the latest firmware and drivers? It's two seperate files both available from the public part of the NI website (no log in required).

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1060902 - 06/08/13 03:54 PM
I booted up and this time again it has not recognized the Komplete 6 box. USB flashing. Went to install latest firmware and it said no device recognized. I had to unplug the usb lead and plug back in for it to instantly work again, the PC seeing it was there.

It isn't a driver/firmware issue. I have tried a different USB socket and still this happens randomly. is this is PC fault or the unit ? Of course as NI won't let me in on their game I will never find out which will be another annoying nag I will have to put up with for the life of the box.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1060906 - 06/08/13 04:49 PM
Register a throw away e-mail address and re-register at the NI site?

You'd have to try it in another machine to find out I'm afraid. It's either the USB controller or the interface itself. I know those boards work fine with the latest firmware so one or the other isn't well if it's continuing to do this.

*edit* just re-read the original report and I see. Sorry, for some reason I initally read it as it was dropping and needed to be unplugged / replugged as oppose to just not detecting off the bat.

It should detect as part of the process, the fact you have to un-hook it to to force it is mighty odd... could still go either way through.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

#1061138 - 08/08/13 12:58 PM
I am afraid I can't test it on any other machine as I now only have this one. Again, after a few boots normal it decides today to not see the driver. I used to get the same problem with the EMU 0404 sometimes all it's settings and the driver thrown out on boot up after working perfectly the last time the machine was on. This new PC has sometimes asked for my user password before it booted up which I have never even set up. It's a bit too random for my liking.

--------------------

ef37a

#1061139 - 08/08/13 01:05 PM
Quote Marbury:

I am afraid I can't test it on any other machine as I now only have this one. Again, after a few boots normal it decides today to not see the driver. I used to get the same problem with the EMU 0404 sometimes all it's settings and the driver thrown out on boot up after working perfectly the last time the machine was on. This new PC has sometimes asked for my user password before it booted up which I have never even set up. It's a bit too random for my liking.

Don't want to step on Pete's toes but does the PC have a recovery partition/set of discs?
If so it might be worth running a format and re install...Wait until the weekend though and start very early so as not to be disturbed. W7 take a buggeringly long time to load!

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1061147 - 08/08/13 02:09 PM
I didn't realise this had happened with the EMU as well. Sounds like something (hardware or software) could be messing with the settings. If you want to drop it back in with the interface in question I'll take a look at it.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

#1061160 - 08/08/13 04:04 PM
Sorry, the EMU did the same on my old machine not the scan new one. I couldn't get the emu 0404 to be seen on this new one. I think I will find out if its a NI fault first but thanks for the offer if they can't get to the bottom of it.

--------------------

Marbury

#1061615 - 12/08/13 08:55 AM
I disabled a mailware program in the task bar and for 3 days it seemed to work. Until this morning I boot up and the USB is flashing on the Komplete again. Why is it doing this with no pattern ?

--------------------

Marbury

#1062266 - 16/08/13 07:55 AM
I have had no problem with this for about 4 days and today the USB is flashing again. NI have finally let me into the inner forum sanctum after my email enquiry but after posting this issue I have been informed that my question has to be screened before showing in the forum. That was at the begining of the week and it is still not showing.

I am non the wiser and the problem is still there I also find there is a slight latency issue using my Motif. I have checked the settings and the latency is showing normal but it still feels laggy.

The USB could be a power issue as there are 2 front usb ports on the PC. The right one will only power a small drive like an mp3 player, not a portable hard drive. The left one doesn't seem to work at all.On my older Dell monitor there are usb ports and non of those work either.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (16/08/13 08:19 AM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1062271 - 16/08/13 08:41 AM
Have you tried plugging it round the back at all? Front usb ports are connected to the onboard headers which tend to be on a seperate controller from the rear ones and normally end up putting out (as you note) less power overall. In those respects treat it like a USB hub and anything that's high drain should generally be plugged in round the back on any system.
(same always goes for ports for monitors too).

I've just checked the case that's currently being used and the are two ports on there with one being USB 3 and one being USB 2. Being a budget spec the lower end motherboards don't have USB3 headers to allow the front panel port to be hooked up, which is why one won't be connected and is done to keep the price down. Upgrading to a board with a header would have added £60 or a decent third party card would cost £15 and eaten up one of the limited expansion spaces on the motherboard.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

ef37a

#1062361 - 16/08/13 01:55 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Have you tried plugging it round the back at all? Front usb ports are connected to the onboard headers which tend to be on a seperate controller from the rear ones and normally end up putting out (as you note) less power overall. In those respects treat it like a USB hub and anything that's high drain should generally be plugged in round the back on any system.
(same always goes for ports for monitors too).

I've just checked the case that's currently being used and the are two ports on there with one being USB 3 and one being USB 2. Being a budget spec the lower end motherboards don't have USB3 headers to allow the front panel port to be hooked up, which is why one won't be connected and is done to keep the price down. Upgrading to a board with a header would have added £60 or a decent third party card would cost £15 and eaten up one of the limited expansion spaces on the motherboard.

Right^,
I have just tried my KA6 in the front port of this old P4 and it stops and starts. Round the back, beeeyootiful.

BTW Pete have you had any reports of this Amazon Smart Seach problem?

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: ef37a]
      #1062366 - 16/08/13 02:17 PM
I haven't Dave, althrough if you stick that in Google ( Amazon Smart Search ) it does turn up a load of results that point towards it being a Malware level toolbar (i.e. semi legit, yet a pain in the arris). Check some of the links that, that search phrase returns and see if anything can help you along.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

#1062377 - 16/08/13 04:07 PM
It's always been plugged in round the back, never the front. I was just referring in general that nothing works in the 2nd front USB.

--------------------

ef37a

#1062440 - 17/08/13 06:43 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

I haven't Dave, althrough if you stick that in Google ( Amazon Smart Search ) it does turn up a load of results that point towards it being a Malware level toolbar (i.e. semi legit, yet a pain in the arris). Check some of the links that, that search phrase returns and see if anything can help you along.

Thanks Pete. No doubt you have spotted Martin's solution and my subsequent waffle?!

Dave.

Marbury

#1062563 - 18/08/13 08:58 AM
It seems I am not the only one having problems with this box:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158...

I also get popping and clicking on Youtube and sometimes in Reaper. This shouldn't happen with a device of this quality. The flashing USB issue I give up on because I have had no answer from tech support 2 weeks down the line and they still haven't put my post up in the forums about this. Beginning to wish I had gone for something more professional now.

Edited by Marbury (18/08/13 08:58 AM)

ef37a

#1062614 - 18/08/13 01:34 PM
Some things have occurred...

Since my "Amazon" infection the KA6 has been stuttering. It is connected to a rear usb port on this 3G, XP P4 and DPC was giving red spikes through the top of the monitor. Thinking that the system drive might be jizzed because of all the stuff that went on and then off it I tried a defrag. "Not Needed" it said so I setup for a disc check and re booted.

An hour later Rite of Spring is clear as and DPC now never hits more than 400muSecs. I have opened internet and shunted files into a NAS drive, not so much as a tick.

Usb 3.0? I bought a cheap A 2 port PCIe board two weeks ago and fitted it into our main music PC a 2core 2.7G HP desktop. Plugged in the KA6 and it took maybe 30secs to sort the drivers. Found Moz' clarinet in Samplitude, switched to Komplete Audio 6 main output. Fine and DPC maxes out at 227muSecs. Ah! just hit 231!

Dave.

Marbury

#1062799 - 19/08/13 05:02 PM
This is the reply I got from NI

Quote:

This sometimes happens if a computer doesn't provide enough current to properly
initialize Komplete Audio 6 during the booting process. In some cases plugging
Komplete Audio 6 into a active USB hub that has its own power supply changes the
situation.

--------------------

Marbury

#1063053 - 21/08/13 08:36 AM
So why would a "premium" audio device be recommended having it's independent PS when a PC built for music making isn't compatible? It's not rocket science. It's doing my head in because there is no pattern when it happens. It's just random. Yes, I could make the journey all the way to Scan but it could be chasing a problem that is with the unit itself. Looking at all the forum complaints I suspect it is.

--------------------

Goddard

#1063065 - 21/08/13 09:31 AM
I must say, you do seem to run into more than your share of problems with your gear.

USB bus-powered interfaces like the KA6 must negotiate their supplied bus current requirement during enumeration (device configuration), in "units" of 100mA, up to the maximum 500mA available from the USB2 port to which they are connected. This negotiation is done either by the driver software, or possibly by firmware when an onboard processor is equipped although this can be complicated if the initially supplied bus current of 100mA is not sufficient to enable operation of an interface's onboard processor.

The KA6 is known to be a bit power-challenged, as there are accounts of it being unable to supply adequate phantom power to operate certain microphones' onboard electronics reliably or to support use of more than one phantom-powered mic at a time.

So it could be that your KA6 is not being supplied sufficient power from your PC's USB port and is unable to initialize.

If the KA6 works when connected to a different computer or when connected via a powered USB hub, then that would indicate a USB power problem with your DAW PC, and if not, that would tend to indicate a faulty KA6 rather than a faulty PC.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: Goddard]
      #1063071 - 21/08/13 10:10 AM
Quote Goddard:

The KA6 is known to be a bit power-challenged, as there are accounts of it being unable to supply adequate phantom power to operate certain microphones' onboard electronics reliably or to support use of more than one phantom-powered mic at a time.

That's been fixed on all units shipped since the start of the year I believe. Completely agree with the rest stated above however.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

ezza

#1063085 - 21/08/13 11:28 AM
Did you answer this question from Peter?

Quote:

I've seem USB turn off on powersaving (windows default feature) and that in turn will disconnect the interface until your restart or unplug it as you describe.

Marbury

Re: Komplete Audio 6 loses it's settings new [Re: ezza]
      #1063159 - 21/08/13 06:11 PM
Quote ezza:

Quote:

It's from a cold start.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1063218 - 22/08/13 09:07 AM
Quote Marbury:

Quote ezza:

Quote:

It's from a cold start.

In which case you need to test the interface on a second machine. If it does it on the second machine it may be a problem unit, if it doesn't then I may need to take a look at the system for you.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

#1063224 - 22/08/13 09:30 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a second machine anymore. As it's a random problem with power from the USB I would have thought the PC could be the issue as that controls the power going to the machine.

Quote:

In some cases plugging
Komplete Audio 6 into a active USB hub that has its own power supply changes the
situation.

I must say that NI are very poor at responding to issues on their forum, and that's anything that gets through their screening before being posted. And still my question on their forum posted a couple of weeks ago isn't showing.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (22/08/13 09:36 AM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1063253 - 22/08/13 02:02 PM
Quote Marbury:

Unfortunately I don't have a second machine anymore. As it's a random problem with power from the USB I would have thought the PC could be the issue as that controls the power going to the machine.

The ports deliver what they need too, up to the level that the spec says they should. It's quite concievable that the interface isn't pulling enough power due to a fault on board or on the interface. It doesn't need to be a machine of yours that you plug it into... is the nobody at all with a laptop/pc/mac you can plug it into for five mins and power cycle it a few times to see if it detects and runs?

Offer still stands to drop it over here and I'll check it all out.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Marbury

#1063315 - 22/08/13 08:03 PM
Thanks Pete. I will if I need to.

--------------------

Marbury

#1064095 - 29/08/13 09:31 AM
One thing I find with the PC that is not consistent is that it very occasionally asks me which user I am before proceeding to booting up. A couple of times it also asks for a password which I never set up.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 13118

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media