Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
KJF

White screen on start-up...
      #1062496 - 17/08/13 01:51 PM
My old Acer Travelmate 290 might be slow, weigh a ton, have terrible battery life and not like too many tracks when I use Acid 6 BUT it does what I need it to do. Until recently, that is: when I press start I get a quick flash of the b&w boot screen and then nothing except for a white screen with no discernable activity from anything including the hard drive. Anyone have any idea what it might be? Do I have to admit defeat and buy another? I saw a Lenovo T60 on ebay. I'm sure that would be an upgrade. Come to think of it...maybe a pen and paper would be an upgrade as things stand....

--------------------
www.keithfrazer.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: White screen on start-up... new [Re: KJF]
      #1062503 - 17/08/13 03:04 PM
Assuming it has VGA out, try plugging in an external monitor and see if you get anything. Googling "Acer white screen" gets a lot of hits, like this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0h58JACIU

Roy A. Briant

#1065590 - 09/09/13 10:34 AM
Hi KJF,

I am agreed to BJG145 as this could be a VGA problem. Also there is a possibility that it could be the result of corrupted windows. Try adding an external monitor to see if the problem still persists. If it doesn't solve the problem you should install a fresh copy of windows which I believe will solve the problem. I saw an user on the below link found this helpful:

http://www.techyv.com/questions/slow-system-startup-due-white-progress-bar

Exalted Wombat

#1065602 - 09/09/13 12:04 PM
Will it boot into Safe Mode? If you don't know what I'm talking about, take it to someone who does. A little knowledge only leads to false assumptions and maybe unnecessarily expensive decisions.

OneWorld

#1065623 - 09/09/13 02:36 PM
As already mentioned, first thing with a laptop, plug an extenal monitor in. And another occasional fix with a laptop is, it might have been set to just display to an external monitor/projector. ON some laptops it is the Windows + P key combination,(sometimes people do this by mistake having intended to press Ctrl _ P for Print) on other laptops there might be a dedicated function key that does the same - turns off the built in display.

Might seem unlikely but I have seen several laptops destined for the scrap heap until it was realised the external monitor/projector only display was set

Exalted Wombat

Re: White screen on start-up... new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1065662 - 09/09/13 10:41 PM
Quote OneWorld:

As already mentioned, first thing with a laptop, plug an extenal monitor in. And another occasional fix with a laptop is, it might have been set to just display to an external monitor/projector.

I don't THINK this would result in white-screen. But it's easy to try.

KJF

Re: White screen on start-up... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1065674 - 10/09/13 08:04 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried an external monitor - no joy. After removing the ram and reinserting I actually got the laptop to boot into windows a couple of times only for the white screen to return the next day. This, I think, suggests the HD is OK and there is some intermittent fault with the motherboard perhaps. I think if the ram were genuinely faulty it wouldn't work full stop.

I really wouldn't care at all if it were a simple case of taking my HD out of the Acer and putting it into another laptop without any need for reinstalling the software and setting everything up again but I don't think that's possible. Such is life, I suppose.

--------------------
www.keithfrazer.com

Lizardpoint

Loc: Biggin Hill, Kent
      #1065692 - 10/09/13 10:56 AM
The problem described could be due to a failing CMOS battery.

If you are confident to do this then it is quite a simple job.

Hope this helps.

Lizardpoint

KJF

Re: White screen on start-up... new [Re: Lizardpoint]
      #1065714 - 10/09/13 04:20 PM
The CMOS battery thing occurred to me this morning, actually. The laptop 'felt' as if it wanted to boot into windows after the initial start up but then proceeded to repeat the BIOS screen over and over as if there was a weak link in the chain, so to speak. I've tried taking the laptop to pieces but after all the screws are out it still refuses to separate. The computer is over 10 years old so the CMOS battery could be very very dead.

--------------------
www.keithfrazer.com

Lizardpoint

Loc: Biggin Hill, Kent
      #1065723 - 10/09/13 06:05 PM
If you aren't seeing the "Acer" flash screen when the laptop starts then I would definitely suspect the CMOS battery.
It is located beneath the keyboard on the lower right corner of the motherboard.
I'd say its worth a CR2032 battery just to prove it.

Cheers

Lizardpoint

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1740

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media