Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
johnny h

Microsoft
      #1063527 - 24/08/13 12:55 AM
As expected, Ballmer hasn't survived the Windows 8 / Windows phone / Windows RT disasters and will be leaving within a year. The share price indicates more is expected of his successor.

Perhaps a little more clarity of vision could go into Windows 9, if it ever comes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Microsoft new [Re: johnny h]
      #1063542 - 24/08/13 07:48 AM
Quote johnny h:

As expected, Ballmer hasn't survived the Windows 8 / Windows phone / Windows RT disasters and will be leaving within a year. The share price indicates more is expected of his successor.

Perhaps a little more clarity of vision could go into Windows 9, if it ever comes.

By that logic, Tim Cook will be leaving Apple very soon as they have been eclipsed by Samsung in the mobile and tablet market, and they've also reported their lowest profit margins for over a decade.

Yet more yawn-some pro-Apple rhetoric.

johnny h

Re: Microsoft new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #1063572 - 24/08/13 12:50 PM
Quote TheChorltonWheelie:

Quote johnny h:

By that logic, Tim Cook will be leaving Apple very soon as they have been eclipsed by Samsung in the mobile and tablet market, and they've also reported their lowest profit margins for over a decade.

Yet more yawn-some pro-Apple rhetoric.

Typical anything-but-Apple-fanboi response. Where did I mention them?

Lots of people rely on Microsoft operating systems for their studio computer (including myself) so the future direction of the company is very relevant, particularly for people who wish to upgrade.

OneWorld

#1063575 - 24/08/13 01:51 PM
When I saw that video of him leaping about and whooping like some demented oik I thought here comes the village idiot. He reminded me of one of those teachers we used to have that was desperate to 'get down with the kids' and all we thought was why don't you just shut up and get on with it, instead of all the 'aren't I cool and zany bluster'

Goddard

#1063597 - 24/08/13 05:03 PM
The funny thing is, I wouldn't mind Windows 8 on my fone, with Metro. Just not all that keen having a monopolistic market megalith deciding I wanted a tablet/fone OS on my PC. Nor apparently are the all the enterprise customers.

But fone fads are difficult to maintain, and market share can be fleeting. Just ask Nokia or RIM or Motorola or Sony Ericcson or... any telco concerned with boosting next quarter's 'average revenue per subscriber'.

And don't be fooled about Samsung, just because you can't see the Wizard of Woogle behind the curtain working the levers. Samsung might have gotten good with hardware but they're still just crap at code.

Pangloss

Loc: London
      #1063600 - 24/08/13 05:49 PM
I hope this isn't too wildly off-topic and please ignore me if it is.

It's just that I got round to installing Windows 8 a couple of days ago (on a non studio PC) and I was stunned by the requests for personal information that appeared to be necessary, just to proceed with installing an operation system onto my own computer. Maybe there is a way around doing this but mid-install I couldn't find one.

No doubt its all for my convenience and possibly, even SAFETY but I must say I felt resolutely disinclined to furnish them with accurate data. I wish things would go back a couple of decades in many respects, including in the IT respect.

--------------------
'These are my principles and if you don't like them...well, I have others' (Groucho Marx) www.ownlittleworld.net/tunes.html

OneWorld

Re: Microsoft new [Re: Pangloss]
      #1063623 - 24/08/13 08:55 PM
Quote Pangloss:

It's just that I got round to installing Windows 8 a couple of days ago (on a non studio PC) and I was stunned by the requests for personal information that appeared to be necessary, just to proceed with installing an operation system onto my own computer. Maybe there is a way around doing this but mid-install I couldn't find one.

No doubt its all for my convenience and possibly, even SAFETY but I must say I felt resolutely disinclined to furnish them with accurate data. I wish things would go back a couple of decades in many respects, including in the IT respect.

Glad I read this. I was considering going up to Win8, but I too am wary of all this information they was to suck out of you, whatever happened to 'An Englishman's Home is His Castle?' maybe it is, but his computer isn't, it's a squatters paradise.

Thing is, we are eventually forced to upgrade, as you get somewhere and it demands the latest OS, -1

I'd be happy with Win98, it booted in about 10secs, and much to my surprise, I put some spare copies of Win98 on eBay when I was having a clearout, and they sold immediately! I thin I got about £20 a copy!!!

Now I know not to throw my copies of XP away, which itself is a reasonbly quick booter, but I thought one of the things Win8 addressed was the ever increaing boot times and Win8 did boot quicker than Win7?

robinv

Re: Microsoft new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1063654 - 25/08/13 05:06 PM
Quote OneWorld:

Now I know not to throw my copies of XP away, which itself is a reasonbly quick booter, but I thought one of the things Win8 addressed was the ever increaing boot times and Win8 did boot quicker than Win7?

Yes, Windows 8 does boot pretty fast, which is nice. I'm not sure about all the giving away your details stuff. I've installed a ton of system with Windows 8 and have never had to enter anything other than a login and a Product Key. I think if you want to partake in the Microsoft Store circus then you have to create an account and add some credit card and security details - just as you do on the iPad or on your phone - it's the same sort of thing in order to make purchases through the store. If you don't want that then don't set up a Microsoft account - problem solved.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Pangloss

Re: Microsoft new [Re: robinv]
      #1063661 - 25/08/13 06:28 PM
I'm probably being a dummkopf but I didn't seem to be able to find a way around it at the time. Furthermore, when I tried to set up a second user once the install was finished it wanted the same info. I'm not at home for the next few days but I will have a play around later.

I mean, isn't it a bit skincrawly that all users of the machine should be asked to give up personal deets? For an operating system?

--------------------
'These are my principles and if you don't like them...well, I have others' (Groucho Marx) www.ownlittleworld.net/tunes.html

TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Microsoft new [Re: Goddard]
      #1063732 - 26/08/13 10:31 AM
Quote Goddard:

And don't be fooled about Samsung, just because you can't see the Wizard of Woogle behind the curtain working the levers. Samsung might have gotten good with hardware but they're still just crap at code.

The Android marketplace is bigger than Apple, whilst Samsung are a larger, more established and more profitable company than Apple, and they're in considerably more markets than Apple are too.

TheChorltonWheelie

#1063733 - 26/08/13 10:33 AM
Quote Pangloss:

I was stunned by the requests for personal information that appeared to be necessary, just to proceed with installing an operation system onto my own computer

What, a COA, PC name and user account name? This comment is just silly.

TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Microsoft new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1063735 - 26/08/13 10:36 AM
Quote OneWorld:

Quote Pangloss:

Glad I read this. I was considering going up to Win8, but I too am wary of all this information they was to suck out of you, whatever happened to 'An Englishman's Home is His Castle?' maybe it is, but his computer isn't, it's a squatters paradise.

I wouldn't be glad, I'd be disappointed that someone has furnished wholly inaccurate information.

Installing Win7/8 requires LESS personal information that Win98/XP etc.

But, don't let the facts get in the way of a good anti-Microsoft story.

TheChorltonWheelie

#1063737 - 26/08/13 10:39 AM
Quote johnny h:

Lots of people rely on Microsoft operating systems for their studio computer (including myself) so the future direction of the company is very relevant, particularly for people who wish to upgrade.

Microsoft have a longer OS run-off/retirement than Apple/Google, so I fail to see why it'd be any more of an issue than if you were on Apple/Google products.

Pangloss

#1063775 - 26/08/13 04:14 PM

No.

If you have an account name you have already supplied personal information. If not you are asked for your, name, date of birth and postcode. You are also asked for a telephone number initially, although this can be replaced with a security question (e.g. mother's maiden name).

Obviously, none of this needs to be accurate necessarily but yes, I do find the whole thing creepy.

Edited by Pangloss (26/08/13 04:19 PM)

johnny h

#1063794 - 26/08/13 07:12 PM

Quote johnny h:

Microsoft have a longer OS run-off/retirement than Apple/Google, so I fail to see why it'd be any more of an issue than if you were on Apple/Google products.

So we can't talk about Microsoft without mentioning Apple and Google at every turn?

johnny h

#1063795 - 26/08/13 07:15 PM

Quote Goddard:

The Android marketplace is bigger than Apple, whilst Samsung are a larger, more established and more profitable company than Apple, and they're in considerably more markets than Apple are too.

Great! That means we have to stop talking about Microsoft at once!

Goddard

#1063796 - 26/08/13 07:34 PM

Quote Goddard:

Ha!

If you're so knowledgeable about Samsung, who might (still) be their biggest customer?

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1063856 - 27/08/13 11:02 AM
Quote Pangloss:

No.

If you have an account name you have already supplied personal information. If not you are asked for your, name, date of birth and postcode. You are also asked for a telephone number initially, although this can be replaced with a security question (e.g. mother's maiden name).

Obviously, none of this needs to be accurate necessarily but yes, I do find the whole thing creepy.

I can see the confusion here althrough TCW is right in this case. The extra details you inputted Pangloss weren't required to complete the install, but you are right in that they make it awkward to proceed if you don't follow the instructions closely.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Pangloss

Re: Microsoft new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1063857 - 27/08/13 11:33 AM
Thanks Pete for the polite response. As I said, I don't have access to the machine in question at the moment but as soon as I do I may repeat the whole process to see exactly where the jump off point might be. I went round the same loop a few times and was unsuccessful in proceeding without setting up an unwanted Microsoft account (which did require all of the information mentioned above).

--------------------

robinv

#1063858 - 27/08/13 11:51 AM
If you create a "local account" then it bypasses all the Microsoft account details:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/create-user-accou...

--------------------

Pangloss

Re: Microsoft new [Re: robinv]
      #1063862 - 27/08/13 12:17 PM
Thanks robinv.

So in the first instance (i.e. at installation, rather than for new users) there should also be an option to set up local account only? I will look out for that.

--------------------

robinv

#1063876 - 27/08/13 02:00 PM
Quote Pangloss:

Thanks robinv.

So in the first instance (i.e. at installation, rather than for new users) there should also be an option to set up local account only? I will look out for that.

Yes, totally.

--------------------

TheChorltonWheelie

#1063881 - 27/08/13 02:53 PM
Quote Goddard:

If you're so knowledgeable about Samsung, who might (still) be their biggest customer?

They're not Samsung's biggest customer, nowhere near it, and of course you're talking about Apple. Samsung are probably the biggest chip manufacturer now, they own just about every one else too, and so no matter what product you buy you'll have a Samsung-derived (or owned) chipset in it.

johnny h

#1063903 - 27/08/13 06:14 PM

Quote Goddard:

They're not Samsung's biggest customer, nowhere near it, and of course you're talking about Apple. Samsung are probably the biggest chip manufacturer now, they own just about every one else too, and so no matter what product you buy you'll have a Samsung-derived (or owned) chipset in it.

This is widely off topic, not only to this thread but the entire forum! I'm sure its great for Samsung that they make iphone screens, tvs and whatever else, but I don't see what relevance that has to audio matters.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1063950 - 28/08/13 09:14 AM
Aye, surely if we're going for Samsungs biggest customer we'd probably have to point at the South Korean goverment and their requirement for Robocop type military hardware.

Samsung is OCP
(or at the very least Zaibatsu)

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Will_m

#1063989 - 28/08/13 01:30 PM
Quote johnny h:

This is widely off topic, not only to this thread but the entire forum! I'm sure its great for Samsung that they make iphone screens, tvs and whatever else, but I don't see what relevance that has to audio matters.

To be fair your OP wasn't exactly audio relevant, more just a parting jab at a Microsoft CEO that had little to no point to it.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

johnny h

Re: Microsoft new [Re: Will_m]
      #1063994 - 28/08/13 02:25 PM
Quote Will_m:

Quote johnny h:

To be fair your OP wasn't exactly audio relevant, more just a parting jab at a Microsoft CEO that had little to no point to it.

The future of Microsoft has no relevance to "PC music"?

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1064142 - 29/08/13 01:31 PM
Quote johnny h:

Actually that's entirely correct.

What does the OS do for music? Can an OS help you mix? Does the OS provide VSTs? Hell, does the OS even necessarily provide the latest codecs? Hint: The answer to all the above is "no".

If you want to play music on a PC, you can use the Media player application that comes with Windows, or you can download a whole bunch of other applications which would also do the job (and often better). If you want to record and mix music on a PC, you'll install applications like Reaper, ProTools or whatever. The OS does nothing. The applications do everything.

As a software engineer, the future of all these applications is cross-platform. Whether it's libraries like Qt, portable binary-ish languages like Java or Python, web-enabled stuff in Javascript or whatever, the future is writing your code once and having that application run on every platform. The one single solitary reason for Microsoft's existence is that most applications aren't built that way. Yet. Windows is only still alive bcos people need Windows to run applications that are only built to run on Windows.

Why isn't everything cross-platform? Honestly, bcos cross-platform software development tools only really got going about 15 years back, and for a long time they were pretty ropey. These days they're rather good though - I'd much rather use Qt Creator than MS Visual Studio. But all the big-name applications started back in those days, or even earlier (Cakewalk is 26 years old), so their code is intimately tied to a particular platform. It'll cost money to switch over, so currently they don't - but you can bet that competent companies will keep doing the cost-benefit calculations if their market share dwindles, and invest in this when it makes financial sense. And of course incompetent companies will stay tied to a single platform and may well go to the wall. (In the extreme case, think of all the Commodore Amiga applications which died when Commodore died.)

So unless Microsoft buy Logic or some music production application, then no, whether Microsoft lives or dies will have zero effect on your ability to make music on your PC.

Scramble

Re: Microsoft new [Re: grab]
      #1064144 - 29/08/13 01:43 PM
Quote grab:

As a software engineer, the future of all these applications is cross-platform. Whether it's libraries like Qt, portable binary-ish languages like Java or Python, web-enabled stuff in Javascript or whatever, the future is writing your code once and having that application run on every platform. The one single solitary reason for Microsoft's existence is that most applications aren't built that way. Yet. Windows is only still alive bcos people need Windows to run applications that are only built to run on Windows.

This all seems rather optimistic. Java is rapidly being abandoned as a web tool because its multi-platform nature makes it vulnerable to malware attack.

Quote grab:

Why isn't everything cross-platform? Honestly, bcos cross-platform software development tools only really got going about 15 years back, and for a long time they were pretty ropey. These days they're rather good though - I'd much rather use Qt Creator than MS Visual Studio. But all the big-name applications started back in those days, or even earlier (Cakewalk is 26 years old), so their code is intimately tied to a particular platform. It'll cost money to switch over, so currently they don't - but you can bet that competent companies will keep doing the cost-benefit calculations if their market share dwindles, and invest in this when it makes financial sense.

But whether it does make financial sense in the years to come is the issue. It's all very well declaring that it will make financial sense to go cross-platform in the future. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, it depends on a multitude of factors which are difficult to predict at this stage.

johnny h

Re: Microsoft new [Re: grab]
      #1064150 - 29/08/13 02:13 PM
Quote grab:

Quote johnny h:

Actually that's entirely correct.

What does the OS do for music? Can an OS help you mix? Does the OS provide VSTs? Hell, does the OS even necessarily provide the latest codecs? Hint: The answer to all the above is "no".

If you want to play music on a PC, you can use the Media player application that comes with Windows, or you can download a whole bunch of other applications which would also do the job (and often better). If you want to record and mix music on a PC, you'll install applications like Reaper, ProTools or whatever. The OS does nothing. The applications do everything.

Why isn't everything cross-platform? Honestly, bcos cross-platform software development tools only really got going about 15 years back, and for a long time they were pretty ropey. These days they're rather good though - I'd much rather use Qt Creator than MS Visual Studio. But all the big-name applications started back in those days, or even earlier (Cakewalk is 26 years old), so their code is intimately tied to a particular platform. It'll cost money to switch over, so currently they don't - but you can bet that competent companies will keep doing the cost-benefit calculations if their market share dwindles, and invest in this when it makes financial sense. And of course incompetent companies will stay tied to a single platform and may well go to the wall. (In the extreme case, think of all the Commodore Amiga applications which died when Commodore died.)

So unless Microsoft buy Logic or some music production application, then no, whether Microsoft lives or dies will have zero effect on your ability to make music on your PC.

Hmm, so Cubase works on Linux? What PC operating systems run any of the big name audio applications? Your argument is just ridiculous, to be honest. Look at the fuss made about Windows 8 and tell me people here don't care what Microsoft's next move is.

DarrenSw

Loc: Sleaford, UK
      #1064234 - 29/08/13 10:15 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote grab:

Quote johnny h:

You're right about the fact that some posts have nothing to do with music or the OP, this whole forum is just one tangent after another. If someone asks a question, users should answer it, or don't.

It seems to go that if someone asks what day it is tomorrow (e.g. currently Monday), someone will answer Tuesday, then someone will say "hang on, in another Calendar it's actually not Tuesday, its Wednesday, therefore blah blah blah"... etc etc... annoying as hell

I do keep mentioning this and have seen OT posts within forums before (and tried to ignore them) but now threads within posts are going OT halfway through so we're seemingly screwed

--------------------
This forum is like Hotel California...
You can log-out any time you like, but you can never leave...

Scramble

Re: Microsoft new [Re: DarrenSw]
      #1064236 - 29/08/13 10:34 PM
The Tangent, good band.

TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Microsoft new [Re: Scramble]
      #1064281 - 30/08/13 09:51 AM
Quote Scramble:

This all seems rather optimistic. Java is rapidly being abandoned as a web tool because its multi-platform nature makes it vulnerable to malware attack.

Over 80% of malware attacks on mobile devices are on Android-powered devices, malware developers target the most popular platform as much as they target the weakest platforms.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1064318 - 30/08/13 03:23 PM
Just a jump back to W8 and the personals if I may?

I hope I never have to change to W8 but I wondered, what does an IT man do if he has to install 8 on scores of machines a year?

Dave.

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
      #1064376 - 30/08/13 10:13 PM
Lets see, daft thread, by attention seeking trollisih technophobic, how in the words of the Bonzo dog.. should know better... but - Stop WINEin

Please give up your wicked ways, sell off all your Intel stuff and support AMD... there is little time left for you to do so.... REPENT the END is...

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

johnny h

Re: Microsoft new [Re: DragonLogos]
      #1064391 - 30/08/13 11:03 PM
Quote DragonLogos:

Lets see, daft thread, by attention seeking trollisih technophobic, how in the words of the Bonzo dog.. should know better... but - Stop WINEin

Please give up your wicked ways, sell off all your Intel stuff and support AMD... there is little time left for you to do so.... REPENT the END is...

This is an English speaking forum.

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
      #1064483 - 31/08/13 09:20 PM
Quote:

This is an English speaking forum.

Of course yes.... and it is all to clear were you might have a problem, but we are here to help

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

mpostor

Loc: S.W. London
Re: Microsoft new [Re: ef37a]
      #1064614 - 02/09/13 09:25 AM
Quote ef37a:

Just a jump back to W8 and the personals if I may?

I hope I never have to change to W8 but I wondered, what does an IT man do if he has to install 8 on scores of machines a year?

Dave.

Not sure of the context of this question, but as an IT engineer, here's my opinion:

If that's what the customer wants and is paying for, I'll do it.

It's that simple. Good or bad, if that's what they want, that's what I'll do.
It's different when it's your own machine (I'm still on Win7 as it works and I have no pressing need to upgrade), but in the commercial world, the reasons can be very different. Staying up to date with the OS and updates can be cheaper than picking an OS and sticking with it. I have a customer who is still using XP and old server hardware with W2K. It's getting to the point where the only place to pick up spares is eBay. But that's what they want, even if they are paying through the nose for support. Only now are they considering moving to Win7 (yes, 7. They figure that by staying at OS-1 the rest of the world can beta test the current OS...).

There are other customers who insist on being early adopters. There are pluses and minuses with both approaches, but ultimately it's the customer who decides what to do with their money.

HTH.

Stu.

Goddard

#1064667 - 02/09/13 01:33 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote Goddard:

Hey look, it's the topic police, spouting about "widely off topic" and "relevance to audio matters".

Hehe, just because your latest bash at MSFT went and got itself sidetracked, that's really no cause to have a control freak-out.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1064701 - 02/09/13 05:17 PM
Quote Goddard:

Quote johnny h:

Quote Goddard:

Hey look, it's the topic police, spouting about "widely off topic" and "relevance to audio matters".

Hehe, just because your latest bash at MSFT went and got itself sidetracked, that's really no cause to have a control freak-out.

Yeah! I never really get this Off Topic whinge? I learnt some of THE most interesting things at school when we got the maths teacher to "go off on one"!!

Dave.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 10433

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media