Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
evaluna001

Yamaha 01v96i USB interface with PC
      #1067939 - 27/09/13 04:59 PM
Hi,
I am planning on replacing my old original Yamaha 01v mixing desk with a shiny new 01v96i (I was originally planning on getting an older 01v96 plus a lightpipe card, but that plan appears to be dead in the water - details in another thread).
Is anyone here using one of these desks with a PC, specifically the USB interface that allows 16 track I/O? I am mainly interested in the quality of the drivers, as this mixer is intended to replace my current sound card as well as my current mixer, and will be used for recording and soft synths etc. Is the latency of the drivers low enough for this type of use? As far as the functionality of the desk goes, it looks really impressive, especially the ability to patch any input to any output, and the VCM effects look really nice as well, but none of that is going to console me much if the USB drivers are unusable for playing synths. I'd appreciate any input from users of this desk. Thanks.
Regards,
Terry

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
twotoedsloth

Re: Yamaha 01v96i USB interface with PC new [Re: evaluna001]
      #1067942 - 27/09/13 05:29 PM
Hello,

I have an 01v96i, but I've not had much luck using the USB ASIO driver. I went back to using the ADAT I/O, as Windows would consistently lose communication with the mixer, I would have to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in again. Other than that, the mixer is great. I have the AES card installed, and like the ADAT interface, it works flawlessly.

I'm using Windows 7 enterprise, on an Ivy Bridge (quad) Core i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and an RME Multiface 2. This is notable because the Multiface 2 is using at PCI slot even though my motherboard (Intel) does not support 'native' PCI cards.

evaluna001

Re: Yamaha 01v96i USB interface with PC new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #1067950 - 27/09/13 06:34 PM
Hi twotoedsloth,

Thanks for the response - this is good info (even though it shoots my 01v96i plans down). The main reason I would choose the 01v96i over the older 01v96 plus a lightpipe card is to cut down on the hassle and to avoid the kind of connection bugs/issues you have been having with the USB link between your desk & PC. I am also using an Ivy Bridge motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V). What MB are you having these problems with? The fact that you are using an old RME PCI card with a newer Ivy Bridge MB is good news, as my other option (substantially cheaper) is an RME HDSP 9632 PCI card hooked up to the ADAT port of the original 01v96.

Regards,
Terry

twotoedsloth

#1067953 - 27/09/13 06:47 PM
Terry,

I'm using an Asus P8Z68-V (LGA1155) motherboard with an Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge CPU at 3.4GHz.

Very stable, to the best of my recollection it has not crashed or even suffered a drop out since I switched from the Yamaha USB 2 interface on the O1V96i. It didn't crash with the Yamaha driver, either, it just got lost, which was fixable by unplugging/replugging the USB cable, albeit at the expense of your current take.

evaluna001

Re: Yamaha 01v96i USB interface with PC new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #1067957 - 27/09/13 07:17 PM
Hi twotoedsloth,

I'm using the same CPU, and it looks like the two motherboards are quite similar. How many I/Os are you using on your RME card? It's possible that the reports of PCI cards not working correctly on the newer bridged PCI boards are from people using a larger number of inputs & outputs. I only intend to use the 8 I/Os of the ADAT interface on the HDSP 9632.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Terry

twotoedsloth

#1067959 - 27/09/13 08:06 PM
Terry,

I'm using the 8 ADAT outputs from my 01v96i, as well as the AES output (with an XLR to RCA cable) of my rough mix. This rough mix is sent to a backup recorder, really just another computer but just running the very basic Sound Forge Audio Studio software, and also to a CD burner for quick copies right after the session/concert. Additionally for no good reason at all I am running the last AES output to a Fostex DAT machine, because it's there... That leaves the SPDIF output free and clear, if someone wants to record without me having to repatch, and the stereo RCA and XLR analog outputs. As you can see, even without the USB connection, it is a really comprehensive and flexible mixer.

dadking

#1067974 - 27/09/13 10:02 PM
i am using an 01v96i for recording purposes, my latentcy is around 10ms at 48/24 at 64 samples through Cubase 7.06 so not really impresive. This is on win7 on asus motherboard (not sure on model as not at music computer), I have an myat adat card fitted which is used with a ADA8000 gives me 8 more inputs. One thing I can say is that it is rock solid no problems with dropout at all. I dont use the effects in the 01v96i on recording as I am pretty sure this will just add to the latency.
regards

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Yamaha 01v96i USB interface with PC new [Re: dadking]
      #1067978 - 27/09/13 10:47 PM
Quote dadking:

I dont use the effects in the 01v96i on recording as I am pretty sure this will just add to the latency.

No reason why they should. They were designed for real-time live applications, after all!

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

evaluna001

#1068055 - 28/09/13 07:37 PM
Hi dadking,

Are you using the USB connection for recording to Cubase? If so, have you experienced similar connection problems (losing the connection between desk & PC)?

dadking

#1068067 - 28/09/13 10:49 PM
I do use the 01v96i for recording in cubase and the figure i quoted above is the best i can get 10ms at 48/24 using the lowest setting which is 64 samples.
I believe that over the past 6 months i have had 2 dropouts between the mixer and the desk not enough to worry about and my 2 assistant engineers have not mentioned any problems so as i also said very stable.

You are right that using effects should not increase latency but if you read the spec it states the following:
Less than 1.6ms CH INPUT to STEREO OUT (@SampIing frequency = 48kHz) / Less than 0.8ms CH INPUT to STEREO OUT (@SampIing frequency = 96kHz)
I just dont want to see this number increase as 10ms is very borderline, I have had some drummers complain that they can hear an echo if their volume through the cans is to loud so i tend to keep them down as they dont really need to hear themselves much through the cans when recording. The other option is direct monitoring but personally I dont like this way of working as i like to hear what is being recorded.

Being able to patch any input to different outputs is definately very useful but it is very easy to mispatch something so i had some sheets printed up which we use to fill in like snake number to channel input number to USB output number, we also use 2 Behringer ada8000 one is used for 48v phantom power the other just for dynamic mics and talkback.
Studio Manager is very good for setting up the mixer although it would be good to have it set up permanently on a separate monitor as the yamaha display can be difficult to see at times.

All in all I am very happy with this mixer and would certainly not hesitate to recommend it for recording, I might add that I came from an 01v and even though you have the choice of EQ I dont find them very musical, so i tend to insert an external EQ.
regards and sorry for being long winded in my reply.

chris...

#1068072 - 29/09/13 12:38 AM
Quote dadking:

You are right that using effects should not increase latency

Correct - using the effects will have no effect whatsoever on latency.

Quote:

but if you read the spec it states the following:
Less than 1.6ms CH INPUT to STEREO OUT (@SampIing frequency = 48kHz) / Less than 0.8ms CH INPUT to STEREO OUT (@SampIing frequency = 96kHz)

Right - changing the sample rate has a small effect on latency, but, what does that have to do with using the effects ??

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2278

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media